STS V Oil Leak
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, STS V Oil Leak in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Hey guys....I did a search for this topic and didn't see anything so I am guessing I am the lucky ...
    GODSIZE is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

STS V Oil Leak

Hey guys....I did a search for this topic and didn't see anything so I am guessing I am the lucky guy.

Anyway. I just recently bought a bit of an oddity.....a brand new 2006 STS V from the local Cadillac dealership with a 150 or so miles on it. All has been good till last week having logged a total of 750 miles on the odo, when I noticed on the garage floor a collection of small drips of oil. I have had other cars in the space so to be sure it was the V, I cleaned the area and put a white piece of cardboard under the car and began to moniter.

Within a couple of days I had numerous drops of oil. I get the car down to the dealership and then later receive a phone call telling me that it appears that some oil pan bolts were loose and that they have tightened them and that they put a florescent dye in the oil and want to keep it over night and monitor the fix.

Following day I get a call informing me that the leak is still there and appears to be coming from the front of the motor and is blowing back onto the pan and tranny and that they need to remove the timing cover to investigate further. They suspected a failed front crankshaft seal.

As of Friday, they have made the repairs and put more dye in the oil to ensure the leak has been fixed and all indicators are that it has been stopped but to be cautious, they will keep my car over the weekend and look in on it Monday to verify that we have no more leaks.

A leaky front crankshaft seal doesn't bother me or make me suspect of the rest of the car. Hell who knows, maybe my motor was built on a Friday and th e technician was thinking about beers and hot chicks. I am a bit surprised though, The car was on the dealer lot for a year and half and nobody noticed it.

The dealer has been very forthcoming about the situation and the repairs so I have every confidence that when I get the car back, it will be right and an issue never revisited.

Just curious if any of you other STS V drivers out there have had any similar experiences. Later!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Re: STS V Oil Leak

I am not up to speed on current seal technology, but "in the good old days," seals would dry out if they were not immersed in oil regularly.

Second poss: Rubber portion of seal could have been damaged before or during installation.

No need to worry about rest of car.

If you do keep car forever, remember to purchase GMPP before you hit 24,000 miles. Price of warr almost doubles after 24,000 miles. Preferred vendors here and on Corvette forum sell GMPP for about .60 on the dollar.

On most cars, I do not buy any warr. On my Caddy I bought it because it will give potential buyer some level of comfort.

Good luck.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.