What are your thoughts on replacing the run flats with regular tires on the STS-V?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, What are your thoughts on replacing the run flats with regular tires on the STS-V? in Cadillac V-Series Forums; I am not at all happy with the run flats, and with going through the nightmare of finding a service ...
    Berger 93 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS-V

Question What are your thoughts on replacing the run flats with regular tires on the STS-V?

I am not at all happy with the run flats, and with going through the nightmare of finding a service shop to fix a run flat with a nail in it, I really want regular tires once these Pirellis are dead, which with my right foot will not be long . . .

Any feelings . . . I know if I get a flat I'm done, but that's what road side service is for.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bobs-sts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

Re: What are your thoughts on replacing the run flats with regular tires on the STS-V

With the TPMS sensors, a leak from a nail will be discovered relatively quickly, and you can get the tire repaired. Discount Tire offers the roadside assistance and lifetime servicing of all tires it sells. If if blows out, even the run-flat won't save you. I feel confident that the new Eagle F1's and the Advan S.4's will hold up better than the crappy OEM Pirelli's. Besides, that's what that little blue Onstar button is for!

Bob

Florian is offline crushing Vs with my Wurm
    Automobile(s): 2013 GT500 - 700+ HP

Re: What are your thoughts on replacing the run flats with regular tires on the STS-V

Ill be getting GSD3's non runflats when the Pirellis go to crap.

F

LITTLEELVISDAN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 09 Escalade, 2011 Corvette conv GS LT4, 2005 EXT

I already replaced the rears with Mich. Pilot Sports. Night and day... I won't go back to runflats. Blow outs are pretty much a thing of the past.. Especially when you have the pressure sensors. Most blowouts are caused by excessive heat build up due to low tire pressure, or the rare defective tire, or you hit a hunk of metal in the road. In any case (other than low pressure) a runflat is not going to hold up either with the last 2 examples.

hodgeee1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2006 STS-V

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEELVISDAN View Post
    I already replaced the rears with Mich. Pilot Sports. Night and day... I won't go back to runflats. Blow outs are pretty much a thing of the past.. Especially when you have the pressure sensors. Most blowouts are caused by excessive heat build up due to low tire pressure, or the rare defective tire, or you hit a hunk of metal in the road. In any case (other than low pressure) a runflat is not going to hold up either with the last 2 examples.
    100% agree with previous statement. My last two cars were corvettes, they came with runflats, and that was the biggest road block in performance for that vehicle. On both I ran non-runflats for years.

For one, in every vehicle I own, I have a quality airpump. Yes tire technology is extremely improved over the years and blow outs only seem to happen to people that try to run their tires for ever, that may be dry rotten or the tread is worn all the way down. The majority of times you will have a flat the car will let you know, and then just pump her back up and drive to your local tire center to get the patch. Remember that runflats can't be patched on the sidewalls either like regular tires, so some flats can't be fixed. The only time I had a true stuck situation is going to cali in my vette, and something on the road slashed open a huge hole in the tire, I then contacted roadside assistance and got towed to Barstow, where a local tire shop slapped on a worn corvette tire until I could get a replacement from Discount the following morning in LA. Hell the tire place didn't even charge me anything for the temp tire! Beyond that twice I had a flat in the morning and I pumped it up and then just drove to the local shop. It is not a big deal and very very rare that you will have to worry, just remember if you get a quick let out of air, you need to stop immediately or you may ruin the new tire, with small sidewalls, if you ride them on the sidewall getting off the freeway, by the time you get stopped the tire will be ruined.

Now on the vettes the stock tires killed the performance, with this car, I really don't have too many regrets during the summer, with 110 degree days, and mid 90 degree nights, I can barely chirp the tires at all! The suspension will way lean out before these tires will give up their grip, but during the winter month, these things suck, and have no traction at all, so I still will replace these with non-runflats. If they come out with some heavier swaybars, and more performance oriented shocks, I think then the tires will give out before the suspension binds up!

Berger 93 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS-V

Thanks for the feed back, I was looking at the Yoko's as a new tire for the V, and all of your feelings mirror mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    Ill be getting GSD3's non runflats when the Pirellis go to crap.

F
    Pictures of the GS-D3 on the chrome thread. Look awesome on this car! I even turned the wheel hard over so you could see the tread (Tire09.jpg is best shot).

Bob
    Attached Images

1fstkde is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 stsv. 2005 ctsv(r.i.p)

like I said before..,I hate em..I think they handle like crap!!!! they screech way to loud on heavy turning, kind of embarrassing.

LITTLEELVISDAN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 09 Escalade, 2011 Corvette conv GS LT4, 2005 EXT

Quote Originally Posted by 1fstkde View Post
    like I said before..,I hate em..I think they handle like crap!!!! they screech way to loud on heavy turning, kind of embarrassing.
    are you replying to the original question of runflats or the GSD3' si nthe previous post?

1fstkde is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 stsv. 2005 ctsv(r.i.p)

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEELVISDAN View Post
    are you replying to the original question of runflats or the GSD3' si nthe previous post?
    original runflats...gsd3 are great tires, had them on the ctsv..

Kadonny is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Owned 3 V's, now driving a GC STR8

I had a nail in my tire this morning. I ran it right to the dealer to fix it. Well I found out my rears are already at the wear bars at 8000 miles. Damn tires.

So I am looking right now at doing the tires. GSD3s are a possibility from what I hear in this thread. I'm going to check tire rack to see what else is available in our size.

Kadonny,
    Tire Rack is fine to check prices, but if you have a Discount Tire near you, they will match Tire Rack for price, and do the install in 30-45 minutes. If you hurry, Goodyear is having a tire sale, and you can get a rebate on the GS-D3s. Make sure to tell the guys to check the Goodyear website - my guy didn't have the rears listed in his DT database, but they had them any way. Great tire. Awesome in the rain - and we have had a LOT of it lately here in Chicago!

Bob

you will LOVE the GSD3s....they are fantastic tires.....you can thank me later.

F

Kadonny is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Owned 3 V's, now driving a GC STR8

Bob, no Discount Tire stores anywhere near me, but thanks anyway.

F, how are they in the cold? I won't run them in the snow, but I will run them through the winter assuming no snow or ice. BTW, I am in eastern PA.

Oh, and F........thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadonny View Post
    Bob, no Discount Tire stores anywhere near me, but thanks anyway.

F, how are they in the cold? I won't run them in the snow, but I will run them through the winter assuming no snow or ice. BTW, I am in eastern PA.

Oh, and F........thank you.
    Great in the rain....not sure about snow/ice. I am in Cleve, BUT, my STS-V wont see winter.

F

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.