What are your thoughts on replacing the run flats with regular tires on the STS-V? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, What are your thoughts on replacing the run flats with regular tires on the STS-V? in Cadillac V-Series Forums; I broke down and replaced my rear tires because they were wearing down the center really bad. My front tires ...
    CadV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): V2

Re: What are your thoughts on replacing the run flats with regular tires on the STS-V

I broke down and replaced my rear tires because they were wearing down the center really bad. My front tires have plenty of tread left and they are wearing fine so I kept them.

I went with the GSD3's and so far I really like them. Driving down the road I could hear the road noise on the front tires and the new GSD3's I could not hear .

Thanks for the feedback on the GSD3's it convinced me to buy them.

Kadonny is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Owned 3 V's, now driving a GC STR8

Re: What are your thoughts on replacing the run flats with regular tires on the STS-V

Quote Originally Posted by CadV View Post
    I broke down and replaced my rear tires because they were wearing down the center really bad. My front tires have plenty of tread left and they are wearing fine so I kept them.

I went with the GSD3's and so far I really like them. Driving down the road I could hear the road noise on the front tires and the new GSD3's I could not hear .

Thanks for the feedback on the GSD3's it convinced me to buy them.
    I think all tires get louder when they wear, but looks like you are another happy GSD3 guy!

F, I'm not concerned about snow or ice, just the colder temps. Is anyone living in an area where you get colder temps and running the GSD3s? I just saw a review that they get slick when it gets below 40 degrees.

LITTLEELVISDAN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 09 Escalade, 2011 Corvette conv GS LT4, 2005 EXT

Pretty much any performance tire gets slick under 40 Deg. It's not liimited to the GSD3's.

Florian is offline crushing Vs with my Wurm
    Automobile(s): 2013 GT500 - 700+ HP

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEELVISDAN View Post
    Pretty much any performance tire gets slick under 40 Deg. It's not liimited to the GSD3's.
    +1 The GSD3 uses a softer compound that will get hard as a rock under colder conditions...I wouldnt use em under 45 degrees....

F

thefred is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    +1 The GSD3 uses a softer compound that will get hard as a rock under colder conditions...I wouldnt use em under 45 degrees....

F
    So other than parking the car in weather under 45 degrees, are there any other good choices? Or is that going to be the same for any performance tire? What about the factory run-flats? Does the same rule apply?

Florian is offline crushing Vs with my Wurm
    Automobile(s): 2013 GT500 - 700+ HP

Avon 550M/S. I used those on my CTS-V when I drove it in snow. Theyre all season tires....not the sportiest, but it got the job done. Most performance tires sacrifice all season ability for what you get in performance returns....If youre driving your STS-V in the winter, I suggest a separate set of rims/tires.
    This is a blurb from the Tirerack on the OE tires:
    Original Equipment (OE) summer tires are an appropriate tire choice for sporty vehicles manufactured in the U.S., as well as those imported from Europe and Asia. Developed for use on new cars and light trucks, these tires provide a sporty blend of ride quality, noise comfort and handling, along with dry and wet traction. These tires are not intended to be driven in snow.
    I highlighted the important stuff.

F

bobs-sts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

Bridgestone Blizzaks for nasty cold & snow (dealer recommended).
    Yokohama Advan S.4 for mild to moderate winter conditions.

Due to global warming here in the midwest, I am running the Advan S.4 this winter on the stock (non-chrome) rims.

Bob

thefred is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

Well, we don't often get snow, but do have some temps that go below 45, but if the choice is performance tires or winter/snow tires, it seems I don't really need winter/snow tires because they are for more extreme conditions than we have here.

Kadonny is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Owned 3 V's, now driving a GC STR8

Fred, I'm doing the same thing. I will use the tires more in the spring/summer/fall than in the winter (I have a beater F150 4 x 4 for snow/ice) but if it is a nice cold day I may still take the V out with the summer tires. Just keep in mind you can't push the car in that weather and I think you'll be fine.

I don't want to sacrafice the warm performance with the Yokos for 3 months of colder weather.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.