having chrome put on our rims???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, having chrome put on our rims??? in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Anyone know where you can get our stock rims Chromed? The East coast chrome shops say that no one in ...
    LITTLEELVISDAN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 09 Escalade, 2011 Corvette conv GS LT4, 2005 EXT

having chrome put on our rims???

Anyone know where you can get our stock rims Chromed? The East coast chrome shops say that no one in the South East has the equipment to properly chrome rims. They say it takes specialized equipmet that has both Positive and Neg electordes. The say the only place that has that kind of equipment is the west coast. Anyone know someone or have a buddy in the industry? Maybe a group buy can be set up???

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bobs-sts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

Re: having chrome put on our rims???

Just got my second set of rims from OEM Rims in California. Look fabulous. They buy dealer "take-offs" and chrome them. They will also take your rims and chrome them for you. Brand new rims (second set) cost me $1365 shipped to my door. Chroming your set is cheaper ($699 I believe), but slower.

Contact info:

OEMRIMS INC.
    2120 E. HOWELL AVE
    STE#502
    ANAHEIM, CA 92806
    TEL: 714-940-1761
    EMAIL: OEMRIMSCOMPANY@AOL.COM

Hope that helps. I can post a few pictures of mine if you would like to see them.

Bob

^^^ absolutely.
    Pics that is

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

My polished aluminum rims look like chrome--esp after I wax them.

I am afraid to get too fancy; I would hate to go outside and see my rims (and tires) gone. Ins does not pay well because of deprec.

I called them and the Quote is $150 a wheel if you send in your stockers to be chromed. Shipping is $115 each way Atl. to Cal. For $600 you can do a sawp if they have our rims in stock. right now they do not so the only options are to go on a waiting list or send yours in to be chromed.

This is where they have the chrome actually done.
    http://www.chrometechwheels.com/plating_process.html

How much is having them polished and where can I get that done? This is another good option I considered.

If you and Bob post up pics we can compare the results of the two options.

The weather here in Chicago today is pretty lousy, so I will probably wait until tomorrow to take some pics. As soon as I got these, I waxed the heck out of the front and back sides of the rims. Should help keep the brake dust from sticking as much. Since I will change them in the winter, they will get a good cleaning and waxing every 6 months and should look great for quite some time. Since they (OEM Rims) don't have any in stock currently, I guess I grabbed their last set. Sorry guys! (not really, because I really wanted them )

Z06 - They sell lockable lugs if you are worried. I thought that since these are an odd 6 bolt pattern that they wouldn't be in much "demand" around here. If I lived in CA or TX (lived in Houston for 6+ years), I would definitely have the special lugs to prevent theft.

Bob

Littleelvisdan
    Here are some pics. Pulled the car in the garage and did a quick wipedown of the rims. Excuse the appearance of the rest of the car, due to rain today.

Bob
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by bobs-sts-v View Post
    Littleelvisdan
    Here are some pics. Pulled the car in the garage and did a quick wipedown of the rims. Excuse the appearance of the rest of the car, due to rain today.

Bob
    I like those. Where did you get it done and how much did it cost?

hodgeee1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2006 STS-V

How did you like those goodyear tires? I am considering getting those as soon as my rears are bald, which will be pretty soon!

OH, by the way D3 has EBC redstuff ceramic pads, that I just got in and installed. After about 100miles of driving they don't put out any black residue any more. They come with some break in material on the pads, that still turn black at first, but then after about 100 to 200 miles they don't put out any brake dust anymore, or at least black dust that sticks to the rims.

Just a note if you get these, the rear pads didn't want to fit in the rear calipers due to the red powder coating they put on the metal backing plates. I had to grind these down with a file before the pads would fall in freely. Don't try to force them in, cause they will bind and you will lose a lot of braking performance, I learned this from my friend and his STI Subie, same brakes for the most part, and his rears stuck just like mine. After 5000 miles he relized that his backs were not grabbing very well, so we had to pry them out and file them to get them to work right. He said that the brakes felt much stronger after that.

One last thing, if you get the ceramics, they do have a tendency to squeel a bit, not too bad, but sometimes can be a little irritating! Well worth the extra bite they offer, and they take twice as long before they start to fade!

The GS-D3's are working out fabulously. Fantastic grip in wet or dry, and pretty tough to break them loose. Much quieter than the Pirelli's as well (but hard to hear sometimes anyway, since I still love my R&R!). These are only for summer driving, though. Since I live in Chicago, I have a set of Advan S.4's mounted on the original (non-chrome) rims for winter use. Only drove about 50 miles on them before the GS-D3s arrived, so not much I can say about them, except they were quiet as well.

Littleelvisdan: I got the second set of rims from OEM Rims in CA. $1365.00 shipped to my door. Info is farther down the thread.
    P.S. Sorry to hear that Elvis is dead - were you a fan?

Bob

Question about the ceramic pads - for those that really know:

I have been told by my racing buddies (and the hot shot kid at the dealership) that the ceramic pads will eat the rotors if they are not cross-drilled. Both said the heat build up can cause premature wear on the rotors. Due to their thickness, warping isn't really an issue UNLESS you've worn them down. Cross-drilled rotors vent the heat better and prevent that excessive wear. Basically, the rotors are matched to the pads, and if you want to "upgrade" to high performance pads, you should get high performance rotors to match.

Your thoughts? Expert opinions? Both willingly accepted.

Bob

Ceramic pads ate up my slotted rotors in 100 miles. They warped the first time I hit the breaks hard. I called the rotor manuafcturer and they asked if I had ceramic pads. I said yes and they said sorry no replacement. Ceramic rotors build up way to much heat for us to warranty them. They were Brembo slotted rotors and damn expensive.

NOW! back on track in this thread to chrome or polishing stock rims........... You old guys wander amelesly in your conversations. If I could remember how to spell that disease that makes you forget I would make a commet that you al you guys have it.

I used to gel my hair and the people in the office started calling me little elvis. I guess I resemble young Elvis enough for them to make the connection. It kind of stuck with me. But I do like Elvis' music and listen to it quite a bit.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.