having chrome put on our rims??? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, having chrome put on our rims??? in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Its called Alzheimer's Disease. And I can't remember whether I have it or not, because I can't remember what the ...
    bobs-sts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

Re: having chrome put on our rims???

Its called Alzheimer's Disease. And I can't remember whether I have it or not, because I can't remember what the doctor told me last time I was there. Was I there?

Yes, get them chromed! I love the look on my black raven, with the sun sparkling off of the rims. Great contrast against the black. If I had the silver car, I might have stayed with the OEM rims or maybe just had them polished. Note that the chromer specifically states that they will NOT warranty them if you drive around in the winter streets where they salt the roads - my reasoning behind the second set or rims & tires. That and the traction issue. Plus, now I don't have to mess around with the TPMS sensors anymore, since the tires only go back on one way, so they should work fine when I switch them out in December.

Bob

What was the question again?

>>> Ceramic pads ate up my slotted rotors in 100 miles. They warped the first time I hit the breaks hard. I called the rotor manuafcturer and they asked if I had ceramic pads. I said yes and they said sorry no replacement. Ceramic rotors build up way to much heat for us to warranty them. They were Brembo slotted rotors and damn expensive. >>>

You did mean ceramic pads, right? Heat from the pads is supposed to be dissipated by the cross-drilled rotors. Not sure how effectively slotted rotors dissipate the heat. My understanding on slotted rotors is to clean the pads (edges of the slots continuously clean the pads of brake dust) and channel the dust away from the braking surface, but the slots weaken the stability of the rotor if the heat isn't dissipated. Cross-drilled rotors create vortices which increase air flow around the pads and dissipate the heat better. Cross-drilled and slotted would do both, but typically more expensive. So would cross-drilled rotors have held up better than just slotted rotors to the heat of the ceramic pads? Anyone with first-hand knowledge or experience want to chime in?

Thanks, Bob

LITTLEELVISDAN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 09 Escalade, 2011 Corvette conv GS LT4, 2005 EXT

Oops! I meant pads...... Slotted rotors are supposed to be better than drilled since there is more meat/surface area left on the rotor itself. The slots are to vent hot gasses out so they don't build up between the pad and rotor (less fade due to gas build-up). Coss drilled rotors have less meat and surface area but do disipate heat better but don't stop as good. My race set-up on my S2000 had Hawk HP pads and cobalt racing rotos (which looked just like stock rotors) and hoosier racing slicks, stopped on a dime. They were thicker and made of a higher grade metal to resist warping at higher temps. I have always been told by the hard core trackers, cross drilled or slotted roors are for show/bling.
    I have heard stock rotors being warped by ceramic pads but that could urban legend. I know I smoked up a set of ceramic pads on my durango. So bad that when I took the pads off the pad fell apart like bits of dust to the point the only thing left was the backing plate. Kind of scared me that i was actually driving around on them that way.
    Looking at our rotors I would say stick with them and upgrade the pads if you want more stopping power. As for cotrolling dust, Ceramic is the way to go. It depends on what you want to achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by bobs-sts-v View Post
    Its called Alzheimer's Disease. And I can't remember whether I have it or not, because I can't remember what the doctor told me last time I was there. Was I there?

Yes, get them chromed! I love the look on my black raven, with the sun sparkling off of the rims. Great contrast against the black. If I had the silver car, I might have stayed with the OEM rims or maybe just had them polished. Note that the chromer specifically states that they will NOT warranty them if you drive around in the winter streets where they salt the roads - my reasoning behind the second set or rims & tires. That and the traction issue. Plus, now I don't have to mess around with the TPMS sensors anymore, since the tires only go back on one way, so they should work fine when I switch them out in December.

Bob

What was the question again?
    maybe I could borrow your spare set until mine are done. I would only need them for 2 or 3 weeks....

Is there a STS-V club? Some of the other car clubs have spare stuff to pass around if needed. If there is a club maybe we could buy a scratched up set of rims as loaners......It's not likely we are going to find a bunch of these cars in the junkyard so finding a used set local to anyone is oging to be next to impossible.. Hence 1 cumminuty set when someone actually does come across a set.

Kadonny is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Owned 3 V's, now driving a GC STR8

^^^^^^ Great idea!

Pics of the chromes in the sun (and after I got the car washed).

Bob
    Attached Images

Davidstan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Here they are on light platinum.
    Attached Images

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.