New STS-V has a slow leak already
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, New STS-V has a slow leak already in Cadillac V-Series Forums; So I discover a slow leak in the RR tire. Find out I picked up a huge staple. Local station ...
    jdodman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS V (Then). 07 STS-V (Next), 11 CTS-V (Now)

New STS-V has a slow leak already

So I discover a slow leak in the RR tire. Find out I picked up a huge staple. Local station plugged two holes for $15.00.
    These are brand new Pirrelli's with 1k miles..

My question is, with the run flats, do I have to be worried about this tire now ?? The local station mechanic was not up to speed on run flats, and just said the tire was a PITA due to the thickness. It has held air all day, so I know it is no longer leaking. I am just concerned about the 'high speed' effects may have on a plug...

Should I be concerned ??

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Re: New STS-V has a slow leak already

well, your STS-V doesnt have a leak, the tire does

if you find a competent tire shop who can dismount runflats without gouging your rims, good luck. I have found Discount tire to be the best around me. and yes, you lose at least 1 speed rating with a plug/patch.

Florian is offline crushing Vs with my Wurm
    Automobile(s): 2013 GT500 - 700+ HP

Quote Originally Posted by urbanski View Post

if you find a competent tire shop who can dismount runflats without gouging your rims, good luck. I have found Discount tire to be the best around me. and yes, you lose at least 1 speed rating with a plug/patch.
    no worries...its plugged. As long as your sidewall isnt compromised youre fine.

F

dhemrick is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Formerly 06 STS-V, now 13 XTS

Quote Originally Posted by urbanski View Post

I concur about Discount Tire. They did me right on the replacement on my right rear run flat when I got a large bolt stuck in it.

Pirelli actually replaced the tire for free and only charged $15 for remounting and balancing the new one. The tire store manager showed me the policy from Pirelli that says that the run flats are not to be repaired (but it doesn't specify why). Since they don't recommend repair, Pirelli says that if the tread is still under a certain amount of wear, Pirelli will ship out a new tire to replace the old one for free which is what they did in my case. The new tire came in 2 days and the store put it on in no time. No problems since.

The policy also says that Pirelli will prorate the tire replacement after the tire is worn more than 2/32nds (I think that is the measurement, but don't hold me to that).

I would highly suggest going by your local tire retailer and asking about this. Discount Tire should have this policy on file as my local one did. It is definitely worth it as I got a whole new tire for the cost of a plug.

bobs-sts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

In all the paperwork that came with your car should be one item from Pirelli, with the complete paperwork for filing a claim. Tire replacement is only if there is any damage to the sidewall, but don't quote me on it. I know the pamphlet was in there with the other warranty and service stuff because I threw mine away last week when I replaced the tires! Only skimmed it before it hit the trash bin, since there was only 1/32" left on the rear tires; fronts had about 3/32" left. Check your black folder - it is a small, 3-fold pamphlet from Pirelli.

Bob

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Disc Tires and other companies sell a road hazard warranty. Well worth it. If you have any more concerns about that tire with 2 plugs, you could have Disc Tire do a patch also. Actually, they have a bunch of tickets which provide bearer with a free flat repair. They give those tickets out by the truckload in San Antonio. I have used one or two.

Good people at Disc Tire and Tire Rack.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

The term you keep using "plug" makes me nervous.

Although this is a runflat tire and even if it goes low you shouldn't have issues.... if the tire is repaired it should be properly patched from the inside. Plugs are worthless and on a conventional tire, hazardous.
    Patching a run flat should be no problem. If you needed two in the same tire, as you did, I might recommend a new tire, but there is no reason you shouldn't be okay.
    I mean after all, the reason you want them repaired is so they don't go flat... the worst that can happen really is that the tires will go flat... sooooooo.... don't lose too much sleep.
    If those are really plugs, I would get them removed and patches put in.
    Make sure the shop you take it to knows how to handle the wheels without damaging them.

jdodman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS V (Then). 07 STS-V (Next), 11 CTS-V (Now)

If I go thru rear tires on the STS V, like I went thru tires on the CTS-V, I will just wait the 3-6 months it will take to need new ones, and go from there..
    Thanks for the response(s) guys.

Berger 93 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS-V

Just Tires patched mine, although very difficult to find a dealer that would even touch a run flat . . . .

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

The only issue I see... or have even heard of, with repairing a run flat tire is if you have actually run it flat.
    If it has been annoying you with a low pressure warning and you air it up repeatedly there should be no damage to the tire and simply repairing it should be fine.
    If you actually were driving it, it went flat, and you kept driving on it with no air then there could be "invisible" damage or wear to the sidewall construction that could cause a failure later on.
    Otherwise it is a tire. It is round, black, rubber, and holds air.
    There should be no issue with repairing it unless you have been driving it as I described above.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.