Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Broken wheel lug - should I be worried? in Cadillac V-Series Forums; I will let everyone know tomorrow night how it went at the dealer on Friday. I had 2 mechanical engineers ...
I will let everyone know tomorrow night how it went at the dealer on Friday. I had 2 mechanical engineers and two race car drivers take a look at the busted lug. The drivers do most of their own maintenance, so they also know a thing or two about changing tires. One actually builds race cars. All four told me the same thing - most likely a zero-day defect in the lug, and most likely busted when the wheel was originally installed. The engineers both pointed out how there is a slight "crazing" of the metal near the edge, meaning that the lug was cracked about 75% of the way through, but that remaining 25% was more than enough to keep it on the car, but NOT withstand the force of the impact wrench when the tire was removed. Had I had an unbalanced tire or alignment problem, I would have probably lost the lug ages ago. So, to make a long story short (too late), it SHOULD be covered under warranty. If they try to tell me it isn't, I will have my buddy (general manager of the dealership) go talk to them.
Keep you posted.
"Ohhhhhhh, I apologize. I did not realize that you had taken a TOUR of a plant...." LOL!!!
Sorry, I guess I came off kind a hard didn't I?!?!?
Yeah, your right, it was kinda long ago. I remember when I went to the Corvette plant to pick up my 05 Vette, it did seem a lot more clinical. Was just trying to say, you never know, a lot of thing are more possible than some would believe.
I guess it did turn out to just be a deffective part, no big deal, and I can't see how they wouldn't cover tha under warrenty!
Resolution - Not quite yet. My regular service tech was out to lunch when I got there, but the young guy (relatively new, since I don't recall seeing him before and I have going to the same dealer for 6 years now) was extremely helpful and courteous. He looked at the busted lug, told me "That part should NEVER fail" and said it would be covered under warranty. One of the TPMS sensors I purchased online (eBay auction) was malfunctioning as well. He replaced that no charge as well (even though I didn't buy them from them). Unfortunately, the busted lug still didn't get changed. The computerized parts inventory says they have 2 lugs and the corresponding chrome lug-nut. Turns out they had neither. So on order. Shouldn't be too long a wait. I plan on getting the seat noise taken care of (just started - kid knew all about the TSB and said he would take care of it) and the fuel gauge (sending unit) looked at all at the same time. Good to hear that my boys are on top of the most common issues AND seem to happy to take care of the busted lug.
Keep you posted.