Smoked the Pirelli's one last time
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Smoked the Pirelli's one last time in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Getting new tires tomorrow, since the OEM Pirellis are gone after only 18,000 miles. Ran them down to less than ...
    bobs-sts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

Smoked the Pirelli's one last time

Getting new tires tomorrow, since the OEM Pirellis are gone after only 18,000 miles. Ran them down to less than 1/16" of tread, and got a slow leak in the RR. So out they go. Two sets coming (got 2nd set of rims for winter). For the summer, I have a set of the new Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s on the way, and the Yokohama Advan S.4 for the winter. I would be happy to let everyone know how they perform. Certainly more affordable than the Euforias!

BUT - before the Pirelli's bit the dust, I had to relieve them of what little rubber they had left. I picked my son up at the movie theater last night, and a guy in a Year-One Camaro, beautifully redone and all tricked out, tried to give me his best. I took Kadonny's advice and left it in sport mode, but with the "Competetive Driving Mode" on. I have seen others post about how the boost never makes it to the top, but mine sure does. Only one bar left on the meter. Shift point is up around 5500 rpm. Man that is fun to do! Smoked the tires and the Camaro. Never looked at the speedometer, but my son said we hit 100. Too busy watching the tach and the boost. Fun ride, and the only way to properly say good-bye to the old tires.

Au revoir, go-fere!!

Bob

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

LITTLEELVISDAN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 09 Escalade, 2011 Corvette conv GS LT4, 2005 EXT

Re: Smoked the Pirelli's one last time

How do you put it in sport mode while keeping it in competitive mode? By sport mode are talking about shifting yourself?

Just pop the shift lever to the right and don't touch it anymore. Once you up or down shift, you are in manual mode and an "M" will show up on your display. If you don't touch the shift lever after moving it to the right, you are in sport mode, and the display shows an "S". Shift points are a bit higher than in normal mode. Pushing the traction control button twice then puts you into the "Competetive Driving Mode" where the shift points are incredibly high and you get maximum acceleration without having to shift manually. Of course you can, but I tended to be a bit conservative while the computer is quite aggressive if you are stomping on it. Again, thanks to Kadonny for putting me on to this (months ago).

Bob

Kadonny is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Owned 3 V's, now driving a GC STR8

Way to go Bob!

Sport mode if you are running the car really wakes it up. Shifting is much quicker and the shift points are higher in the RPM band.

Sport mode and Competition mode teamed together make a really fun ride. Glad you enjoyed it!

Update on the new tires. I replaced the Pirelli Euforia's with Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's, since the Euforias were pretty much worthless in the rain and snow. I have been very impressed with the GS-D3's on the dry pavement - great grip, a LOT quieter, and very little (if any) loss of traction in the turns or when getting on the throttle. Last night we had a helluva storm here in Chicago, and I happened to be out getting items for my daughter's impending first year of college. Not really wanting to wait for it to stop, we braved the downpour and ran to the car with packages in hand. On the way home, I decided to test Goodyear's claim that these tires are a "10" in the rain. While the Euforias would let go in about 0.1mm of moisture, I couldn't get the back end to slide in the GS-D3's. Awesome grip in the rain. And not just a light coating - we are talking 1" deep standing water. ZERO hydroplaning or loss of control. I can't say enought about them. Only real question is how long the tread will last!?

Bob

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Sounds like you have a death wish, man.

Far from it. I haven't had an accident or a ticket in the last 28 years. I am EXTREMELY cautious about how and where I drive. Since this was the first time it has rained with these tires, I wanted to see if they live up to hype about wet traction. The road I picked to "test" the grip had ZERO traffic on it at the time. I would rather find out how good the grip is in a "controlled" situation than find out the hard way when I am in traffic or a tight driving situation (fast stop or lane change to avoid an accident). Not sure about your or anyone else's driving habits, but I plan on keeping my V unbent and in its original condition as long as possible. Primary reason why I replaced the "No-Grip" Pirellis with something a LOT safer. Same is true for my last (and only 2nd) burn-out. First was in a parking lot (no traffic), and second (last) was on a lonely and deserted country road. Only been "head to head" 3 times, and all were initiated by the other driver wanting to see what the STS-V could do, so I was happy to oblige them. And never on a crowded road. Sorry, no death wish here. Just the opposite.

Bob

Good news, thanks Bob.

What are you doing for a spare if any?

Since I now have a second set of rims, I will be using them in an emergency. In the 6 years I have had a Caddy, the TPMS has given me ample warning of the leaky tire (couple of nails over the years), and I have never had a blow-out. If I ever do experience a blow-out, the little blue On-Star button will come in handy if out of town, and the cell phone will work locally to call my dealer. But again, I haven't ever had an emergency problem with tires since using the TPMS. Should be standard on ALL vehicles!

Bob

P.S. I only drove the Advan S.4's for a couple of days, and obviously not in the snow or ice. I can post a "review" mid-winter if anyone wants one, but I bought them based on everyone else's kudos for winter performance. Dealer liked them as well (S.4's or Blizzaks).

0luke1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

The sport mode thing is about the last thing I needed to hear. Can't wait to try it.

BTW, I've had much better wear on my fronts than rears with the pirellis.

^^^^^ Hmmm. My fronts are wearing like crap. The outer edges are really starting to wear, gonna get an alignment next stop at the dealer to try to ward off replacing the Pirellis at 10k.

VelocitySTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS V '06

Mine too! I have 16,000 on them. They are giving me some excessive road noise above 40mph. Are yours doing to the same thing?

LITTLEELVISDAN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 09 Escalade, 2011 Corvette conv GS LT4, 2005 EXT

^^^ My fronts are Pirelli's and my rears are Micheline's. The fronts are way louder than the rears. I'll be more than happy to replace the fronts with Michelines when they wear out. Better ride and traction without run-flats.

VelocitySTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS V '06

I just like the safety factor of the run flats, is there another run flat out there with the same or better perfromance? If there is, I have never seen it.

I searched my a-- off when hunting for new tires. The odd sizes and the fact that they are not matched front to rear make it very tough to find a set of matching run-flats. Found some for the front, some for the back, but no one brand that does both. Since I haven't had any real problems with the TPMS warning me of a low tire pressure (most likely nails, etc.), I decided to get the best available tires and not worry about the odd nail when (or IF) it ever arises. Very happy so far with the new Goodyears. Quiet, great grip in dry and wet situations, and should get much better wear than the stiff Pirelli's.

Bob

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.