Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  hodgeee1 
#1 ·
I know I read an old thread about this but couldn't find it. My 06 has 6k on it and is leaking rear diff fluid. Does anyone know what the issue was so I can inform the dealer?

#2 ·
My 07 did it for a few days, then stopped. I never got it looked at.

If it is the vent that is leaking, there is a TSB on a new vent that I read over at the CTS-V board. I don't know if it relates to our rears or not.

#4 ·
No big deal, unless of course, they inadvertantly tear out the emission control sensors in the exhaust, which are unique to the V, and then they will need your car for another 3 days waiting to get the new ones in! Obviously happened to me, since mine was one of the first V's to have this done (back in January of '06). Once repaired, mine has been fine (going on 16 months now without a leak).

Bob

#5 ·
Well the dearer called to report the rear pinion seal was complete and the oil has been changed. BUT it will be another day before the new Navi/Radio comes in. It just so happens that when I was bringing the car in today the Navi/Radio didn't boot up on start up and left me with a black screen. Luckily they were able to produce and repeat the problem. So they said they aren't even going to fuss with fixing it. They are going to replace it with a brand new one. So far I have been very impressed with Hennesy Cadillac in Gwinnett. They all were expecting me today, all addressed me by Mr. Trickel and had a loaner car waiting on me. OH! and I got a call from them on the progress of the service all along the way. TOP NOTCH SERVICE is a welcome site in this day and age.

#6 ·
they gave me a base CTS. All I can say is I am glad I bought a STS. The CTS interior looks cheesy with all the plastic and handles like crap. Turn in is quick but the ass end lets you know real quick it wants to be up front. A little unsettling if you are not expecting it. Again this was a base CTS so the CTS - V may be a totally different beast.

#8 ·
A leaking rear seems to be common to these cars and to those of us who eat to much Olestra. But in all seriousness, we've had our STS-V repaired and it still leaks. Many of the customers we talk to have the same problem. Not sure what GM is doing to correct this, but I hope something soon. We're all getting tired of the puddles of gear fluid in our driveways...

#9 ·
I know I read an old thread about this but couldn't find it. My 06 has 6k on it and is leaking rear diff fluid. Does anyone know what the issue was so I can inform the dealer?
I posted on this thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...rum/106232-anyone-else-have-leaky-rear-2.html

There is a technical bulletin about this to add a vent and replace the pinion seals. I know eveyone says this will be back, but so far no leaks. About a week after this, I heard a grinding sound each time I slowly turned to the right or left such as entering a parking lot or leaving my garage (making a slow, tight turn). The dealer changed the diff fluid again and put in an additive, then drove in tight circles left and right in the parking lot - this was after calling for technical assistance. Well, the grinding noise went away. We'll see...at least they are trying.

#10 ·
I bet they left out the Friction Modifier, or some limited slips need a little more than others, and they needed a bit more! Heavy gear oil is great for lubrication of the bearings and contact from the ring and pinion, but some limited slips are not happy with just gear lube, and the friction levels are too high. The Modifier makes the oil more slick, which helps the clutches engage smoother and more flat together for better engagment.

I think that Auburn limited slips you can't use synthetics with it, or at least it is recommended to use regular diff fluid, at least in the two Mustangs I have owned I put a Heavy Duty Auburn limited slip fluid in the rear, and both times they stated regular fluid only. One shop put synthetic in the rear, and it was like someone took out the posi traction. I could only do one wheel burnouts until I changed the oil again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.