Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Can I tow something with the STSV

5K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  LITTLEELVISDAN 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm a CTS-V person lurking and lookking for info. I'm getting tired of shifting and I'm actively looking for an auto tranny car as fast or faster then my CTS-V. I also need to tow one Honda watercraft trailer. Can the STS-V tow something somewhat lightweight?

Thanks

#2 ·
I would think so. Check the specs on the GM page to see if it carries a tow rating.

That being said, I would never tow anything with my car. Just buy a cheap truck to do that stuff.

#6 ·
The only hitches available for the STS are class 1 models. They bolt to the trunk floor through 4 holes and a backing plate. They are rated to carry 2000 pounds and have a maximum toungue weight of 200 pounds.

The official word from Cadillac is that the "V" edition is not to be used for towing.

#7 ·
I actually found another spec that shows the CAR is rated to tow 1000 pounds and 150 pound tongue weight. It qualifies that even further to say deduct the weight of any rear seat passengers or trunk cargo from that total.

Any more than that and I would recommend getting a 94-96 Fleetwood or any Escalade.

#11 · (Edited)
Look, you cant pile on a longtimer with your first post....:tisk::tisk::thehand: While it might not appeal to you to tow w/your V, Im sure 06CTSV has his reasons. He is a stand up guy. I hope your second post is better....:want: You may want to readjust your attitude....BTW, my "little CTS-V" will beat your STS-V. Im not flaming the STS-V, I love em, but if youre gonna growl....youd better be a big dog.

F

#13 ·
My big worry towing with the CTS or STS is that they didn't engineer any real mounting points to the frame. 4 bolts in the trunk doesn't sound like a very strong mounting point. Having read sstealth's post I would say your answer is if you are only towing a jet ski trailer. Anything heavier and i would think twice. BUT then again there is a guy who put a class1 hitch on a S2000 and it works quite well. To each is own..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.