Boost Guage only going to 10psi? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Boost Guage only going to 10psi? in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Originally Posted by austin Well... Scratch that idea then!! Seems that changing the pulley is still the best route to ...
    Slo-Mo-Shun is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V; TopKart Flash 125 Shifter

Re: Boost Guage only going to 10psi?

Quote Originally Posted by austin View Post
    Well... Scratch that idea then!! Seems that changing the pulley is still the best route to go.

Has anyone here had any luck with South Florida Pulley Headquarters?? I'll give them a call on tuesday and see if they are willing to help.

http://www.southfloridapulleyhq.com/...ed_pulleys.htm
    How does the engine management system control boost pressure on these cars? If the em is just going to vent off any pressure exceeding what the engine map says should ber there under given conditions xyz, or if it is going to change other parameters such as spark advance to compensate for "excessive" pressure, changing the pulley is a waste of time it seems to me. I don't think there is very much (any?) hot rodding that can be done to these cars without a serious discussion with the em computer.

PSRmark is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-Mo-Shun View Post
    How does the engine management system control boost pressure on these cars? If the em is just going to vent off any pressure exceeding what the engine map says should ber there under given conditions xyz, or if it is going to change other parameters such as spark advance to compensate for "excessive" pressure, changing the pulley is a waste of time it seems to me. I don't think there is very much (any?) hot rodding that can be done to these cars without a serious discussion with the em computer.
    Agreed on most points...although a Pulley upgrade by itself would be fun, there are many factors to account for i.e. boost bypass, timing retard, changing to a different fuel map,and intercooler efficiency... it seems for every one problem you solve three more will come at you...this is where D3 came in and worked out the bugs, it took awhile but we were creative and figured them out and we offer a stage 2 & 3 "kit" to add more power and address these concerns.

As far as changing the upper pulley, it is impossible due to it's diameter, to see any real gains it would have to shrink by about a half inch, and that cannot be done due to the fact that the pulley itself would contact the snout.

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

How about if you used to see a peak at about 12psi on the in dash gauge and you get the car back from the dealership after they worked on it to fix an oil leak and now you only see maybe 8-9psi max on the gauge ? WTF did they do to my engine ? This has resulted in a 45 whp loss on the car.

austin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ~2011 CTS-V Coupe & 2013 SRX~

Quote Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
    How about if you used to see a peak at about 12psi on the in dash gauge and you get the car back from the dealership after they worked on it to fix an oil leak and now you only see maybe 8-9psi max on the gauge ? WTF did they do to my engine ? This has resulted in a 45 whp loss on the car.

You need to take it right back.. There's no reason that should be happening.. What is printed on the work order??

I went back by this afternoon and showed the service advisor the damage they did to my door sills with their lift and told them that the car has felt slower since getting it back and my boost gauge is only showing 8-9lbs max now. They had to replace a gasket due to an oil leak (besides the recall) and something apparently didn't get put back together right.

It honestly seems like almost every time I take the car in for service, they manage to do something wrong or damage something. Sure wish Lindsay and the crew weren't halfway across the country.

Kadonny is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Owned 3 V's, now driving a GC STR8

CIWS, you need to find a new dealer. If they damaged my door sills I would freak.......that's just carelessness.

They're not dening it and ordering replacements. Here's pics.

They're not dening it and ordering replacements. Here's pics.

Holy crap! That was defiantley NOT the right place to lift it.

Any chance they may have had the supercharger off the car? Reason I ask is because on the bottom of the factory charger there is a cable underneath that mechanically controls the Super Charger Bypass. If it gets so much as bumped it will throw the calibration off and cause the bypass to open sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by d3Mark View Post
    Any chance they may have had the supercharger off the car? Reason I ask is because on the bottom of the factory charger there is a cable underneath that mechanically controls the Super Charger Bypass. If it gets so much as bumped it will throw the calibration off and cause the bypass to open sooner.

To be honest I do not know what all they had to remove in order to replace the lower crank case seal on the engine.

To be honest I do not know what all they had to remove in order to replace the lower crank case seal on the engine.
    "maximum engine boost of 83 kPa (12 psi). "

"bypass valve is controlled by a vacuum actuator which is connected to the vacuum signal between the throttle and the supercharger inlet. Spring force from the actuator holds the valve in a normally closed position to create boost, and vacuum pulls the valve open when the throttle closes to decrease boost"

Translation: They most likely removed the charger and set it down without using the support fixture, or they tried to lift the charger off by hand and bumped it. If they were that careless with the side panels then I'm sure they were careless enough to not do proper proceedure when removing the S/C.

Take it somewhere else and have them check it out, the Map sensor will read between 178-183 kPa, if it doesn't then the SCB(supercharger Bypass Solenoid) is either opening or the cable it compromised.

If you are Local to the So Cal area I could take a look for you...I was a Master Tech for Cadillac in AZ for 7 years.

dhemrick is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Formerly 06 STS-V, now 13 XTS

Did they volunteer the information to you that they damaged the door sills or did they admit to it after you discovered it yourself?

I'm hoping that they had the balls to tell you up front what happened.

"maximum engine boost of 83 kPa (12 psi). "

If you are Local to the So Cal area I could take a look for you...I was a Master Tech for Cadillac in AZ for 7 years.
    Sorry Mark, I'm a bit far away in Texas However thanks for the added info and offer, it's appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by dhemrick View Post
    Did they volunteer the information to you that they damaged the door sills or did they admit to it after you discovered it yourself?

I'm hoping that they had the balls to tell you up front what happened.
    I found the lift damage yesterday when I had the car on the dyno, and discovering the loss of 45whp. I felt the car just didn't have the same acceleration it had before they worked on it and since I had taken the car to be dyno'd after it was broken in, I had a baseline to compare it with and know for sure something wasn't right.

Man I can't stress that enough for any owner. If you have a performance vehicle and haven't had a baseline dyno run on the car to know where it's at before any major repair work or modifications are done, you should get it done.

I'm hoping when they get a chance to look at the car (waiting for the door sill parts to arrive and be painted), they will discover it on their own. But if it comes down to it I can produce dyno runs to show the car is definitely down by that amount.

WillySTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): none

I found the lift damage yesterday when I had the car on the dyno, and discovering the loss of 45whp. I felt the car just didn't have the same acceleration it had before they worked on it and since I had taken the car to be dyno'd after it was broken in, I had a baseline to compare it with and know for sure something wasn't right.

Man I can't stress that enough for any owner. If you have a performance vehicle and haven't had a baseline dyno run on the car to know where it's at before any major repair work or modifications are done, you should get it done.

I'm hoping when they get a chance to look at the car (waiting for the door sill parts to arrive and be painted), they will discover it on their own. But if it comes down to it I can produce dyno runs to show the car is definitely down by that amount.
    Sorry to hear about the door sill damage. I've worked in dealerships since 1970. Unfortunately, only a relative few of the technicians are like us, that is, they don't care as much about your car as you and I do. We used to see this kind of damage on Firebirds alot...so much so that I had to watch them as they lifted my Firehawk. Same thing at Mazda with the RX-7's...too bad...

I've seen a supercharger removed twice in our dealership, one was removed with an engine hoist and kept there untill the repair to the engine harness underneath it was complete, then it was gently re-installed...but prior to that a technician, one who no longer works with us, unbolted it,disconnected most of the connectors, hoses and such but not all,propped the front of it up with a very large screwdriver and worked undeneath it. He could not see the bottom side of the s/c very well but could see the engine where he was working. This was the very same job...on the very same car...yes the job came back after "mousing it" but was fixed after the "professional" fixed it right by removing the s/c completely.

Moral of the story is that dealerships have all sorts of people working in them, they are not all "pros" as the should be.

Holy crap! That was defiantley NOT the right place to lift it.

Got the car back Tuesday afternoon from them replacing the damaged panels and having them look at the engine to see if they could find anything wrong to answer why the HP was down. They said they did not find anything wrong. So I took the car back to the dyno today to have another look and sure enough the car only dyno'd to 309 rwhp On top of that we discovered there is now another new oil leak coming from the just replaced crankcase seal in a different location on the engine.

I was told they did in fact have to remove the supercharger and basically completely remove the engine from the car in order to replace that seal. Now it appears that will all have to be done again. This engine has 4300 miles on it (and aging fast).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.