Should I buy a 2005 AWD STS with "RWD Premium" package
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Should I buy a 2005 AWD STS with "RWD Premium" package in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; We are looking at a 2005 STS with AWD that has a bizarre option combination . Can anyone explain what ...
    4jamaica is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Question Should I buy a 2005 AWD STS with "RWD Premium" package

We are looking at a 2005 STS with AWD that has a bizarre option combination. Can anyone explain what happened and give us a ball park price we should try to get when we sit down to negotiate tomorrow?

Here are some of the details (more at the bottom) :

2005 V8 AWD STS
    NO SUNROOF
    Navigation
    Back-up assist
    Heated front and rear seat
    Premium audio
    25k miles
    First sold May 2004

According to the dealer, it has the "performance handling package" (which we thought wasn't available on the AWD) and the "V8 luxury equipment group." Most perplexing of all it has the "V8 Rear Wheel Drive preferred luxury equipment group" (again despite the fact that it is clearly an AWD car.)

We would assume that the dealer made mistake(s) but for the fact that we cannot find another 2005 out there for sale that does not combine the navigation with the sunroof option. We'd love to find one like this that was a little newer, but it looks like this one may be "the one."

Any help is appreciated!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Benjamin Simon is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 STS V8 1SG with ACC, 99 STS (Sold), 06 CL500 (Wifes)

Re: Should I buy a 2005 AWD STS with "RWD Premium" package

I know alot about about the option packages for the V8.
    The performance handling package is not available with AWD. The build code is QAF. QAF gives you Front SBRP235/45ZR18 and Rear SBRP255/45ZR18 Michelin(R) Pilot Sport, Summer High Performance Tires. It is just not possible with AWD.
    I am surprised it does not have a sunroof.
    When you look at the wheels, how many spokes does it have?
    Is there wood grain on the steering wheel?
    I am almost willing to bet with car does not have AWD and that it is a 1SE with a nav upgrade.
    If this is RWD, the blackbook in georgia is $27000. Pay only more what you want to give them as profit. They might try to BS you and tell you they have more in it, but that is not your fault.
    If it is in fact the 1SG v8 with AWD the blackbook is $30000.
    email me at benjamin.j.simon at gmail dot com, I check my email at work all of the time if you want to ask some advice.
    I am looking to buy a STS myself. I know alot since I have been in the market for oh, about 8 months.

Thank you for confirming that the car is an odd one. Quite the mystery vehicle!

It is definitely an AWD. (The car has a little "4" after the STS on its rear end and is being sold by a very reputable dealer.)

It has 9 spokes on its tires. What does that mean for the car?

There is wood on the steering wheel.

I've attached some pictures.

Our current hypothesis is that this car was built before Cadillac reconfigured its option packages. From Carfax we can tell that the car was first sold in May 2004. From an article posted in Forbes, we think there was a re-configuration of the option packages that occurred in late 2004-early 2005. Maybe the navigation system--sunroof connection occurred then?

Thank you for the price data. It helps give us a sense of what you've seen from your more lengthy study of the cars We kind of assumed we'd get a DTS like we have now until we drove the STS!
    Attached Images

Benjamin Simon is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 STS V8 1SG with ACC, 99 STS (Sold), 06 CL500 (Wifes)

Well, it is either a 1SF with upgraded to the 9 spoke or the 1SG.
    By looking that the wheels, if it has little holes along the outside of the wheel, it is the 1SG. If it is smooth, it is the 1SF package with upgraded wheels.
    I am still shocked it does not have a Sunroof. That is standard in the 1SF and 1SG package. But you are right, if this was a early build, they could have been different.
    This sounds like a 1SG with AWD. Does it have the ACC with heads up display? The option comes a pair. It does not effect blackbook.
    I would not pay more than $30K plus taxes and fees since this one was such a early build. You might be nice and pay $31K, but not a cent more. If you want help looking for a STS, I have 5 options from around the country. I am looking to pull my tigger whenever I get a break from work.
    Don't let them bust you in the chops. (Sorry, car salesman vernacular) I sell Cadillacs on the weekend by appointment in Georgia. They are going to show you NADAs and KBBs showing 40K is a bargain. The wholesale market is really soft right now for lux cars, not just caddy, but all lux makes.

mnwild33 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

If it is all wheel drive it will have a 4 in the STS on the rear insignia. STS4

We've confirmed that it is AWD and has the 1SG package. Apparently at the time this car was built, the sunroof was an option on the V8 rather than being a required part of the package.

What would a dealer charge for an extended "GM Protection Plan" warranty on this car?? Does anyone know the range of prices?

Many thanks for all the help!

TSS
    TSS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 Lade & 06 SRX (Gone); 2010 Enclave CXL; 2010 MKS Ecoboost

Quote Originally Posted by mnwild33 View Post
    If it is all wheel drive it will have a 4 in the STS on the rear insignia. STS4
    I would not rely solely on that. Someone could have slapped on a "4" to a RWD model. I put a "4" on my 2006 SRX - but it really is an AWD. However, they only started putting the "4"s on the All Wheel Drive SRX in 2007.

STS2002 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by 4jamaica View Post
    We've confirmed that it is AWD and has the 1SG package. Apparently at the time this car was built, the sunroof was an option on the V8 rather than being a required part of the package.

What would a dealer charge for an extended "GM Protection Plan" warranty on this car?? Does anyone know the range of prices?

Many thanks for all the help!

Well, if you buy from a Cadillac Dealership they can offer the car Certified for an additional $1000. It extends the warranty to 100,000 miles and I think it extends the years to 6 (someone correct me if i'm wrong).

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

I can't tell from the pic, but does it have a rear spoiler? When did Cadillac begin deleting the spoiler from all AWD units or was it always that way?

Quote Originally Posted by c5 rv View Post
    I can't tell from the pic, but does it have a rear spoiler? When did Cadillac begin deleting the spoiler from all AWD units or was it always that way?
    Cadillac began deleting the spoiler on 06 AWD models.

TSS
    TSS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 Lade & 06 SRX (Gone); 2010 Enclave CXL; 2010 MKS Ecoboost

Was the spoiler still an option in 2006? I could swear that when I was deciding what to buy this summer, I drove an 06 STS v8 AWD with the spoiler. If it was not an option, then the dealer added it on.

Quote Originally Posted by TSS View Post
    Was the spoiler still an option in 2006? I could swear that when I was deciding what to buy this summer, I drove an 06 STS v8 AWD with the spoiler. If it was not an option, then the dealer added it on.
    They didn't delete it on the V8 1SG AWD. As far as I know, that was the only package that they kept the spoiler on with the AWD. If any other AWD STS had it, it was most likely added by the dealership.

corvette00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Escalade Luxury, 2000 Corvette

Given the amount of issues with the 05's, I would pass on one that was built so early. Also, unless you need winter traction, I would pass on the awd.
    Just my opinion

Thanks for all the advice.

We received the service reports on this car and it was just awful--in its few years of existence the poor thing had been in the shop over 10 times for a total of 26 days. From spark plugs to fixing the headliner and even the seat leather, it was a lemon.

The search continues for us.

Thanks!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.