2006 Sts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2006 Sts in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; This is my 5th STS! Had a 2003 prior to my 2006! for the $64,000 price tag thats listed on ...
    JoJohn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac DTS STS 2006

2006 Sts

This is my 5th STS! Had a 2003 prior to my 2006!
    for the $64,000 price tag thats listed on the car, I am satisfied with the car, interior roominess is about the same as my 2003! Despite no Glove box or console space! Car is not as smooth in riding as my 2003! Horsepower has been increased, but u cant burn rubber! On slippery roads the car goes into a overdrive mode, Im not sure if this good or not, I was on a steep hill the other day and you cant give the car any gas, when your in this mode! Sheet metal I dont think is as good as my 2003! Already expierenced the Shopping cart nicks on my door that I cant stand! 15 speaker Bose Speaker Good! but lacks some watts! No other real complaints !

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gtragitt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: 2006 Sts

Quote Originally Posted by JoJohn View Post
    This is my 5th STS! Had a 2003 prior to my 2006!
    for the $64,000 price tag thats listed on the car, I am satisfied with the car, interior roominess is about the same as my 2003! Despite no Glove box or console space! Car is not as smooth in riding as my 2003! Horsepower has been increased, but u cant burn rubber! On slippery roads the car goes into a overdrive mode, Im not sure if this good or not, I was on a steep hill the other day and you cant give the car any gas, when your in this mode! Sheet metal I dont think is as good as my 2003! Already expierenced the Shopping cart nicks on my door that I cant stand! 15 speaker Bose Speaker Good! but lacks some watts! No other real complaints !
    I am certain you have the V-8 as you indicated the price of your car. If you can't burn rubber you probably haven't tried to turn off the traction control system.

With good tires on my 2003 Corvette, it isn't easy to burn rubber with the traction control enabled. Without the traction control, I can burn major rubber with a speed shift into second.

I had a 2005 STS. The ride wasn't too good. I traded it for a 2006. I noticed a big improvement in the ride with the 2006.

06STSgirl is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by gtragitt View Post
    I am certain you have the V-8 as you indicated the price of your car. If you can't burn rubber you probably haven't tried to turn off the traction control system.

With good tires on my 2003 Corvette, it isn't easy to burn rubber with the traction control enabled. Without the traction control, I can burn major rubber with a speed shift into second.

I had a 2005 STS. The ride wasn't too good. I traded it for a 2006. I noticed a big improvement in the ride with the 2006.
    I personally own a 2006 STS4 V8 w/the Magnetic Ride Control option & I think it rides like a brick on wheels. Even on the softest setting, the suspension still "crashes" over ruts and expansion joints at moderate speeds and the entire car bobs & wallows over low-speed bumps in the road. It's like the car has a split personality when it comes to the way it rides. The seat bottoms being firm and flat don't help either. I guess that's why they let you test-drive a car before you buy it. I test drove the V6 AWD and just assumed the V8 drove the same, so I didn't drive it. Sucks for me I guess .

Benjamin Simon is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 STS V8 1SG with ACC, 99 STS (Sold), 06 CL500 (Wifes)

Speaking of burnouts, if you take the traction control off, does the tranny automatically go to 2nd great like in the seville?

dlnelson9 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 STS 98 STS 04 Escalade 06 DTS 07 Escalade ESV 13 XTS

I have an 06 STS, I previousley had a 1998 STS and it took me a while to get used to the difference but after 9 months, I like this one a little better because of the fuel efficency. It is the V6 model.

STS2002 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by 06STSgirl View Post
    I personally own a 2006 STS4 V8 w/the Magnetic Ride Control option & I think it rides like a brick on wheels. Even on the softest setting, the suspension still "crashes" over ruts and expansion joints at moderate speeds and the entire car bobs & wallows over low-speed bumps in the road. It's like the car has a split personality when it comes to the way it rides. The seat bottoms being firm and flat don't help either. I guess that's why they let you test-drive a car before you buy it. I test drove the V6 AWD and just assumed the V8 drove the same, so I didn't drive it. Sucks for me I guess .
    I totally agree with you! I have the same car and am not impressed with the MRC. I had a 2002 STS with MRC and it was a dream to drive!!! I also had a 2005 STS V6...that rode better than this one. I do understand that this is a new generation of cadillacs, so it's just something that we all need to get used to. The tuscancy leather does; however, allow for a softer seat than the normal leather. I'm much happier with it over the 05 that I had. It still is an awesome car, much more sportier than it's predecessor. I would like to see a refreshed dash for the coming years, though!

AllWheelEric is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG

Well, I have a different impression. I have V8 AWD with MRC and I think it handles great. Very sporty and powerful. Can't burn rubber because of AWD but can drive like a bat out of hell even in rain. Traction control rarely activates except in snow and over big potholes.

I traded a 96 STS and miss the stereo, and the interior space and design. I also find the 05 STS with NAV a little confusing to use. For example, I won't lend it out but I did lend the 96 sometimes. Too confusing unless you've had "training."

97greendeville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville Base

dlnelson, how is the v6? have you found any modifications yet for it? have you done anythign to it? I have the v6 motor too, and it is as quick if not quicker than my 97 deville. Also whats your typical gas mileage??
    Buck

cooncat is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS V8

I just bought my first Cadillac. I bought a 2006 STS V8 with the SE package with sunroof, Bose 15 speaker stereo system with Nav. It it Stealth Gray with Black interior.

I love it.

My previous car was a 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo.

Aurora5000 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 Blackberry 2004 CTS 3.6 Loaded

My salesman said they were having a lot of complaints with the Magnetic Ride system and to steer clear till they got it fixed. His terms were "rides like a brick."

Curious George is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 Northstar STS 1SG, PHP, ACC/HUD '06 Redline CTS-V, FG2

I've owned a 2006 Northstar STS for a little more than a year and have nearly 27,000 miles on the clock. My car has the Premium Luxury Performance Group (1SG) that includes Magnetic Ride Control, and the Performance Handling Package that includes 255/45-18 Michelin Pilot Sport tires at all four corners. At walking speed, with the MRC suspension in "Touring" mode, my car wallows some over speed bumps and the like (and with the MRC suspension in "Performance" mode, it crashes over some speed bumps--most unpleasant). But in no other circumstances does my car ride like "a brick on wheels" or exhibit the objectionable traits complained about elsewhere in this thread.

This is my first Cadillac, so I cannot compare it with earlier fwd STSs and Sevilles. But I can state that my car is bi-polar. With the transmission in automatic mode (shifter in the left side of the shift gate) and the MRC in Touring mode I float (not wallow) down the road as if on a cloud--quietly and smoothly. In contrast, with the transmission in sport mode and the MRC in Performance mode I drive (quickly) down the (twisty) road as if in a BMW 545. My car's over-the-road behavior has been exemplary, both with OE Michelins and with the newly-installed Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires. (The Goodyears are noticeably better, both as to adhesion and ride comfort, than the OE Michelins on dry pavement. I'm waiting for rain (forecast for tomorrow) to test them in the wet.

Last November I drove my STS to a 14.5-sec quarter mile at the Infinion Raceway dragstrip. I can assure one and all that with Traction Control disabled I can burn rubber 'til the cows come home. (An enthusiast car magazine claims 14.1 seconds, but I'm a happy camper , not a professional driver.)

The STS is a Luxury Sports sedan. Paraphrasing an Oldsmobile ad of yore, this is not your father's Cadillac. Cadillac traditionalists might find the DTS more to their liking (as have friends of mine). Sales people should offer returning customers comparison rides. I urge everyone who does buy STS to attend a driving school to learn just how capable the car is. Cadillac should offer such a school. When STS owners learn how to drive their cars as God and Jim Taylor intend, most complaints will evaporate in a chorus of "Never mind."

Onalaska is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 1SF, 1990 Allante, 2006 XLR-V

I love the ride and handling of our new 2005 STS 1SF with magnaride and I find it rides and handles well in either performance or the touring setting. I imagine the 1SG option would ride more firmly though. I am coming from a 1995 Trans Am so of course I may not have the same prespective as someone coming from a Fleetwood or DeVille. Those cars are body on frame with rubber isolators between the two and this car is a unibody so you will not get that isolated from the road feel. I would have never bought a Cadillac though until they came out with a rear wheel drive model that does not feel like it is floating down the road on a cloud. Nothing wrong with that floating on air feeling, just not for me. I was actually very surprised to see that Cadillac designed such a car. It's definately not the car I always thought Cadillac was about. Actually the CTS V is what got me into the dealer in the first place, but the wife said it was too small and that got us looking at the STS.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.