Rear differential leak again - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Rear differential leak again in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have leak on the left side of the differential. I thought is was a brake line leak but it ...
    carlosm1974 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS, 2003 CTS(wife), 1998 SLS, 1993 Seville, 1992 ETC

Re: Rear differential leak again

I have leak on the left side of the differential. I thought is was a brake line leak but it seems to be coming at the differential/axle junction.

Fluid is clear and smells like brake fluid.

Am I on the right track?

No warranty coverage.

Zig28 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V6

Got my '06 STS4-6 back from the dealer, they replaced the front pinion seal. Seems to have stopped the leak but will wait and see.... Dealer washed the car also, which is a nice gesture but I'd rather do it myself so I can use clean equipment and not add to the spider web scratches!
    Zig.

Well, here it is, about 2 months later and the rear differential is leaking all over the place again. Just noticed the oil on the garage floor and looked under the car with a flashlight and there's fresh oil all over the underside. So it's back to the dealer again, this is very disappointing, the car only has about 7,500 miles on it. While it's there I'll have him do the AWD tranny fix.
    Ziggy.

By the way, I just searched the NHTSA complaint/recall site and there was a listing of the 2006 STS4 AWD rear differential oil leak problem. If you are experiencing this problem, I suggest going to the site and filing a complaint:
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ If enough of us do it, perhaps GM will do something about it. The site asks for the VIN number and if you have it, that's great but it's not required.

netrave is offline Cadillac Owners Member

yup im having the same problem, ive had the leak fixed 2 times now... is it considered a lemon if it leaks for the 3rd time??? i agree as well to the comment about driving more rentals this year then in my entire life....

the damn dealership here sucks at fixing it as well, i have the E&G body kit on the car and every time they jack up there car, they crack the sides of the body kit and have to have them replaced...

coati is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

This seems to be a common problem with the STS.
    My '06 STS started leaking differential fluid around 6k miles.
    I would find small "drips" of oil on the garage floor.
    However, it seems to have stopped leaking around 18k miles.
    I haven't noticed any oil drips lately.
    Was going to have the dealership check it out & fix it but I'm not sure if that's better or just to leave it as is.
    It's not that bad but would prefer it leak free.

Got the STS4 back from the dealer, they had to replace the front pinion seal again on the rear differential. Took two days, they loaned me a new Grand Prix as a replacement, said they were out of loaner Caddys.

No charge, still under warranty, but we'll see. So this is twice in 60 days to replace the same part. I don't agree with some other posters who said the problem will go away or not to bother bringing it in. This is a serious problem and if I have to bring it back multiple times, at least it will be on record as a problem from the very beginning. At this point, it's only an annoyance, but who knows where it will end?
    Ziggy.

WillySTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): none

Your dealer may not be aware of this:

Document ID# 1897095
    Cadillac STS
    1G6Dxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Axle Fluid Seeping/Leaking from Rear Axle (Install Rear Differential Hose and Vent) #07-04-20-001 - (02/02/2007)

Models: 2003-2007 Cadillac CTS

2004-2007 Cadillac SRX

2005-2007 Cadillac STS

2006-2007 Pontiac Solstice

2007 Saturn SKY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do This
    Do Not Do This

Install a rear differential hose and vent.
    DO NOT replace the rear differential axle assembly.

Condition
    Some customers may comment on fluid seeping or leaking from the rear axle.

Correction
    Install a rear differential hose, clamps and a new metal differential vent following the procedures listed below:

CTS, SRX and STS Models
    Place the vehicle in neutral.
    Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in SI.
    Determine if the leak is coming from the rear axle differential vent.
    If the leak is not coming from the axle vent, then do not proceed to the next step. Refer to Rear Axle Lubricant Leak Diagnosis in SI.
    Remove the rear propeller shaft. Refer to Rear Propeller Shaft Replacement in SI.
    Place a jack stand under the rear axle assembly for support.
    Remove the three rear axle bolts and nut.
    Lower the rear axle enough to gain access to the rear differential vent, located on the top of the axle.
    Pry the top of the metal rear differential vent cap off.
    Discard the old vent cap and spring.
    Obtain a 9.50 mm (3/8 in) inside diameter hose by 30.50 cm (12 in) long of rubber low fuel pressure/oil resistant hose or equivalent, a new differential vent, P/N 15852707, and two hose clamps.

Important: If the clamp is not positioned correctly, the vent may fall off.

Assemble the new vent onto the hose and clamp the outer shoulder of the vent. Refer to the illustration above.
    Install the second clamp onto the hose.
    Attach the other end of the rear differential hose and vent to the axle vent.
    Position the second clamp around the shoulder of the rear axle vent and hose as you did previously.
    Tighten the second clamp.
    Raise the axle assembly back into the vehicle.
    Install the three axle bolts and nut.
    Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 175 N·m (129 lb ft).

Remove the jack stand.
    CTS, STS

SRX

Important: To prevent a rattle from occurring, make sure the vent cap is not touching anything when tied down.

Tie strap the hose and vent assembly (referring to the graphic above, depending on the vehicle model). The CTS and STS should be strapped to the rear crossmember frame. The SRX should be strapped to the underbody sheet metal reinforcement.
    Important: An over-filled differential will cause fluid to seep out of the rear axle vent.

Check the differential fluid level. Refer to Rear Axle Lubricant Level Inspection in SI.
    Clean off any axle fluid residue with GM Brake Cleaner, P/N 12378392 (in Canada, P/N 88901247), or the equivalent.
    Install the rear propeller shaft back into the vehicle. Refer to Rear Propeller Shaft Replacement in SI.
    Solstice and SKY Models
    Some 2006 Pontiac Solstice models may have a plastic-style rear differential vent in the axle assembly. The plastic vent will need to be replaced with the new style metal vent, P/N 15852707.

Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in SI.
    Determine if the leak is coming from the rear axle differential vent.
    If the leak is not coming from the axle vent, then do not proceed to the next step. Refer to Rear Axle Lubricant Leak Diagnosis in SI
    Remove the exhaust system. Refer to Muffler Replacement in SI.
    Remove the driveline tunnel closet panel for vehicles equipped with a turbo. Refer to Driveline Tunnel Closeout Panel Replacement in SI.
    Place a jack stand under the rear axle assembly.
    Remove the rear axle bolts.
    Lower the axle assembly to gain access to the vent.
    Pry the top of the metal rear differential vent cap off.
    Discard the old vent cap and spring.
    Obtain a 9.50 mm (3/8 in) inside diameter hose by 30.50 cm (12 in) long of rubber low fuel pressure/oil resistant hose or equivalent, a new differential vent, P/N 15852707, and two hose clamps.

Important: If the clamp is not positioned correctly, the vent may fall off.

Assemble the new vent onto the hose and clamp the outer shoulder of the vent. Referring to the graphic above.
    Install the second clamp onto the hose.
    Attach the other end of the rear differential hose and vent to the axle vent.
    Position the second clamp around the shoulder of the rear axle vent and hose as you did previously.
    Tighten the second clamp.
    Raise the axle assembly back into the vehicle.
    Install the axle bolts.
    Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 175 N·m(129 lb ft).

Remove the jack stand.

Important: To prevent a rattle from occurring, make sure the vent cap is not touching anything when tied down.

Tie strap the hose and vent assembly to the left body cross brace, referring to the graphic above.
    Important: Over-filling the differential will cause axle fluid to seep out of the rear axle vent.

Check the differential fluid level. Refer to Rear Axle Lubricant Level Inspection in SI.
    Clean off any axle fluid residue with GM Brake Cleaner, P/N 12378392 (in Canada, P/N 88901247), or the equivalent.
    Install the driveline tunnel closet panel if equipped with a turbo. Refer to Driveline Tunnel Closet Panel Replacement in SI.
    Install the exhaust system. Refer to Muffler Replacement in SI.
    Parts Information
    Part Number
    Description
    Qty

Vent, Rear Axle
    As needed

Clamp, Hose

Strap, Nylon

Hose, 3/8 Fuel and Oil Resistance (25 ft)

89021677 (U.S.)

89021678 (Canada)
    Synthetic Axle Lubricant (75W90)

Warranty Information
    For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
    Description
    Labor Time

F9706*
    Install Rear Differential Hose and Vent (Cadillac)
    1.8 hrs

F9707*
    Install Rear Differential Hose and Vent (Pontiac, Saturn)
    1.0 hr (Non-Turbo) 1.2 hr (Turbo)

Add
    Replace Plastic Vent in Rear Axle (2006 Pontiac Only)
    0.1 hr

*This labor operation is for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
    WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Document ID# 1897095
    Cadillac STS
    1G6Dxxxxxxxxxxxxx

rb92gt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 Lux, 2011 Escalade EXT Prem

Thanks for the info on the GM bulletin. I hope it solves the issue the next time I bring the car into the dealer. Unfortunately, my rear diff only seems to drip when it is cold out (<50 Degrees) so I think it may still be a seal issue.

coati is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Yes, thank you too WillySTS for posting that very helpful service bulletin.
    I've noticed yesterday that I still have a slight leak from the differential.
    Though minor, it has not gone away as I had thought.
    Zig28, I think you're right.
    I will bring the differential leak up to the Cadillac dealers attention.
    The service bulletin/info will come in handy when I bring my STS in for servicing next time.

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Onalaska View Post
    These are Getrag differentials made in Germany or at least it is a German company. I am surprised at the poor quality. Mine has a slight whine between 40 and 50 MPH under very light acceleration. No leaks though at just under 10k miles. First vehicle that I have owned with a whine in the rear end like that. I took it to the service dept at the dealer and they can't hear it. Yeah right.
    Go to following forums:

Pontiac Solstice
    CTS
    CTS V
    XLR
    XLR V
    STS
    STS V

You will see dozens of complaints about problems with rear ends. Noisy and leaky. As I understand it, same rears in all these cars.

Sad

Onalaska is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 1SF, 1990 Allante, 2006 XLR-V

You know it seems odd that the two most troublesome parts on these cars are supplied by foreign companies. The Nav/VR/Bluetooth/radio is made by Denso, a Japanese company and the Differential is made by Getrag, a German company. Doesn't that seem strange as the Japanese and Germans are both highly respected in the Automobile industry. What happened with Cadillac's suppliers here and why are their suppliers not living up to their reputation of producing quality products? I would think these guys would have an obligation to GM to fix design defects in their products.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Getrag bought Dana, and things havent been the same since.

bigdog9586 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I just noticed mine after a 1K trip. Have appointment for Tuesday for nav. problem and will also add the rear end.
    ===============
    Quote Originally Posted by ruxprncd View Post
    interesting...I also just had the rear seals replaced due to leaks. anyone else run into this? I know the CTS-Vs have all kinds of problems with the rear diff.

bigdog9586 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Mine turned out to be a pinion seal. Hope it don't happen again as some here have. Of course dealer said when I told him that some have complained to have it back 2 and 3 times to get it right. He says that none of theirs have had to come back. We'll see.
    =================
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog9586 View Post
    I just noticed mine after a 1K trip. Have appointment for Tuesday for nav. problem and will also add the rear end.
    ===============

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.