Nav Screen
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Nav Screen in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have noticed that on cold mornings my 07 STS4's nav screen is so dark when pulling out of my ...
    bigdog9586 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Nav Screen

I have noticed that on cold mornings my 07 STS4's nav screen is so dark when pulling out of my garage that I can't even make out the details for the XM radio that is on when I start up. I have taken it off auto and put it on day but no difference. It takes a few minutes to brighten up enough to read and maybe at least 5 min. to full brightness. Anyone else with this problem and what did the dealer do to fix it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ssstealth is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 94 Fleetwood TS

Re: Nav Screen

It is considered normal in cold weather and will brighten up as the interior of the car warms.

CTS11723 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

I have an '05 STS and my touch screen was completely black when I went out for lunch today. Couldn't see a thing. Turned the car off when I got to the sandwhich shop and restarted, still nothing. Picked up a sandwich, turned the car back on 10 minutes later and it was fine. The temp was not that cold; 39 degrees Fahrenheit, and the inside of the car was warmer than that with the sunshine.

STS2002 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog9586 View Post
    I have noticed that on cold mornings my 07 STS4's nav screen is so dark when pulling out of my garage that I can't even make out the details for the XM radio that is on when I start up. I have taken it off auto and put it on day but no difference. It takes a few minutes to brighten up enough to read and maybe at least 5 min. to full brightness. Anyone else with this problem and what did the dealer do to fix it.
    Hey there...it is normal....i have had an 05 STS and now an 06 STS4 both with Nav and i experienced the same thing. It will get brighter as the interior warms up.

antddaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05' STS 1SC

Quote Originally Posted by CTS11723 View Post
    I have an '05 STS and my touch screen was completely black when I went out for lunch today. Couldn't see a thing. Turned the car off when I got to the sandwhich shop and restarted, still nothing. Picked up a sandwich, turned the car back on 10 minutes later and it was fine. The temp was not that cold; 39 degrees Fahrenheit, and the inside of the car was warmer than that with the sunshine.

When I first purchased my car I had similar issue it could be the cold, but my screen and nav unit actually failed and had to be replaced. not sure if that is going on here. But it took a few trips to the dealership before i could prove it was failing. good luck

I have a Iway 500 portible Nav unit that I purchased last spring. It had the same problem of the screen not coming up to brightness when it was cold. Sometimes it took up to 20 min. They issued the software update that helped a lot of people and did me for a couple weeks before returning to the dim view. I sent it back and they sent me a new one that is always bright no matter how cold, at least down to 30 degrees that I have used it in. I also had a built in nav in the wifes Honda van that did NOT do this. I feel it is a problem and will presue it at the first service.

CTS11723 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

Mine wasn't dim. There was just nothing there. Called my dealer and they said to bring it in if it happens again (and I am sure it will) and they will replace the unit.

AllWheelEric is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG

Having a blank display at 39F in the sun does not seem normal to me. After sitting for a day at about zero degrees F, my display is a little dim for a few minutes, but visible.

sweetdivel is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS V8 RWD

mine does this too especially in wenter like nowadays

JoJohn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac DTS STS 2006

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog9586 View Post
    I am having that same problem too! It hasnt gotten that any brighter have the car warms up!

Skibanker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Just had a thought about this, Big Dog. If you're leaving your car overnight in a dark garage, when your car first starts, it will think it's night time and turn the headlights on. That will cause all the interior panel lights, including the nav screen, to darken. When the lights turn off a few minutes later, the nav screen brightens since it now knows it's daytime. Make sense?

NC STS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Skibanker View Post
    Just had a thought about this, Big Dog. If you're leaving your car overnight in a dark garage, when your car first starts, it will think it's night time and turn the headlights on. That will cause all the interior panel lights, including the nav screen, to darken. When the lights turn off a few minutes later, the nav screen brightens since it now knows it's daytime. Make sense?
    I haven't noticed this with my STS, but this is exactly what happened with my CTS. Once I got halfway up the driveway the lights turned off and the Nav screen went to full brightness.

thats not it but it hasn't gone as dark the past couple weeks. Must be posting message here cured it. Kind of like taking the car in to a dealer to fix something at acts up all the time and when you drive throught the dealers doors everything works as advertised.

Update. Took the car in for an oil change and complained about the dim screen. I have it manually cranked up to full brightness which is where it used to be at the default setting when I first got the car. Dealer ordered a whole new nav unit as he said mine was defective. Hasn't came in yet. Also replacing the right mirror as it won't go into the down position when in reverse.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.