Redline
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Redline in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I was showing off the STS to some friends today, and was using the manual shift mode on my v6. ...
    jhschlak is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS 3.6 DI

Redline

I was showing off the STS to some friends today, and was using the manual shift mode on my v6. At one point it got up into the red area between 6 and 7 on the tachometer for a second or two. Would a one time venture into this area cause any problems? I think I am a bit paranoid, but just wondering.

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Redline

Quote Originally Posted by jhschlak View Post
    I was showing off the STS to some friends today, and was using the manual shift mode on my v6. At one point it got up into the red area between 6 and 7 on the tachometer for a second or two. Would a one time venture into this area cause any problems? I think I am a bit paranoid, but just wondering.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    not an issue.
    I used to hit 10k rpm on rx7 on regular basis.

997tt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 STS V8

Not an issue.. especially only one time. Don't sweat it one bit. Once my sister drove my acura tl type-s on second gear at 100-110km/h, thats at 6500RPM redline for half an hour! Nothing happened... as long as it had enough oil in the engine everything should be a-ok. Engines can usually take a little bit more but are protected to even longer life of the engine, and also that it would be useless to rev any higher because you already hit your peak hp at about 800-1000rpm less then the redline.

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Unless your engine is below 3 K miles ,you can do it with no problem .You know some owners having WOT which means getting red line . As for me ,I don't like it for fear of hurting the engine even though I know we have a quite smart car and it's not recommended babying it

somebody09 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Why are you imbiciles comparing GM's engine to Mazda's and Honda's? Do they share the same internals? Do they share the same valve train? Do they share the same transmission? If they do, please let me know 'cause that means I'm out of the loop!

Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by somebody09 View Post
    Why are you imbiciles comparing GM's engine to Mazda's and Honda's? Do they share the same internals? Do they share the same valve train? Do they share the same transmission? If they do, please let me know 'cause that means I'm out of the loop!
    wow someone is cranky today.

He was hitting the rev limiter meaning it was within the safe parameter. 3.6l v6 in his car uses forged crankshaft and connecting rods.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.