AWD STS4 transmission software fix - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, AWD STS4 transmission software fix in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just purchased a used 2008 STS4 and notice this similar problem. Does this TSB apply to 2008 as well? ...
    e024355 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS

Re: AWD STS4 transmission software fix

I just purchased a used 2008 STS4 and notice this similar problem. Does this TSB apply to 2008 as well?

QUOTE=tedasaurus;840379]My STS4 now shifts like a cadillac is supposed to, and like the eight ones I have had before. No more engine surging, rpms bouncing, and indecision when shifting. I cannot express how much better the car drives now. It is night and day difference that the silly dealer could not recognize, I am the one who found and brought them the TSB below and FORCED them to do it.

Anyway Technical Service Bulletin #10017146 will fix your car. The official verbal description from the NHTSA is: TCC surge, shudder, chuggle on light load just after torque converter engagement. Hope this helps those of yoiu who have encountered the same problem.

MODERATOR NOTE: 3456D is the correct TSB number. -Jesda[/QUOTE]

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

06-07-30-030A does not apply to 2008

i could not get 3456D to come up as a good TSB number either

----------

i did find this though

#pip4496: Vibration or shudder during low speed acceleration or launch - (oct 6, 2008)

subject: vibration or shudder during low speed acceleration or launch

models: 2008-2009 cadillac cts, srx, sts

equipped with all wheel drive (awd)

the following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this pi.

condition/concern:

some customers may comment on a shudder or vibration from the driveline when accelerating from a stop, or low speed acceleration typically 20 to 40 mph (32 to 64 kph). This concern may be more noticeable when the vehicle is loaded, such as with four passengers.
    important: this pi only applies to all wheel drive vehicles.

recommendation/instructions:
    verify the concern by duplicating the condition on a vehicle road test. If the condition is verified, it may be caused by a tripot joint that was improperly heat treated on the right hand front wheel drive shaft (halfshaft). Inspect the tripot joint housing on the right hand front wheel drive shaft. If it has the date code "g0388c", as shown in the picture below, replace the right hand front wheel drive shaft tripot joint.
    important: this pi only applies to all wheel drive vehicles.

please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

LiquidTrader is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I just purchased a 2005 STS V8 N* and have experienced some hard shifting. How do I know if the car has not received the update already and if thats the cause of the hard shifting?

What would it cost to have this update? Thank you!

dannyquest is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS 95,000 miles

I had an transmission soft ware up date on 2-17-12, cost $130. It didn't work, only change the speed when the torque converter locks up. From 38 mph to 45mph. Oil flush won't correct it, but will drain your wallet. The torque converter will need to be replaced. Cadillac dealer $1800., local transmission shops about $1000. My 06 STS now shift smooth since a new torque converter was installed. Hope this is of some help. Danny

LiquidTrader is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    How was it shifting for that the torque converter had to be replaced?

My up shift is smooth it's the down that I notice a pullback of some sort.

dannyquest is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS 95,000 miles

Liquidtrader, the transmission was shifting very good. The torque converter was having a hard time locking up around 38 mph, the chuggle effect while the engin was under light load. If the car have been driven by a 20 something year old they wouldn't have felt it. Danny

zek4964 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 cts 68k, 07 STS-V 15K, 97 Sts 160k

My god this is the best news I have had in a while I just bought the car and it is driving me absolutely nuts thank you sooooo much for this info I am calling my dealer right now. How is it car sales man and some dealers can feel this or sense that something is not correct with the way these cars shift WTF...??

RideLikeACaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS 3.6L V6 RWD

Quote Originally Posted by e024355 View Post
    I just purchased a used 2008 STS4 and notice this similar problem. Does this TSB apply to 2008 as well?

QUOTE=tedasaurus;840379]My STS4 now shifts like a cadillac is supposed to, and like the eight ones I have had before. No more engine surging, rpms bouncing, and indecision when shifting. I cannot express how much better the car drives now. It is night and day difference that the silly dealer could not recognize, I am the one who found and brought them the TSB below and FORCED them to do it.

Anyway Technical Service Bulletin #10017146 will fix your car. The official verbal description from the NHTSA is: TCC surge, shudder, chuggle on light load just after torque converter engagement. Hope this helps those of yoiu who have encountered the same problem.

MODERATOR NOTE: 3456D is the correct TSB number. -Jesda
    [/QUOTE]

How long ago was the software mod. done? any more issues or regrets doing this? Mine is having the "chuggling issues and shifting way too early at times. Just want to be sure im going the right route with this software upgrade and not regret it, due to it being non reversable software....thanks! any body else chime in on this too please and give me your opinions....

----------

how long ago was this performed, did it cure it long term so far. I may do this but i don want to regret it due to it being nonreversable. let me know hows it doing so far thanks....

1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Fixes it sort of. It will come back

so would you recommend leaving it be or just do it, it wont hurt? do you regret the upgrade?

1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    I got sick of it. It's the factory tune. I got a custom tune done. Doesn't hunt for gears. Kicks down like I want. No problem.

Koo so its a go since it sounds like it wont hurt to get the software upgrade. mind just keeps shifting too early then shuttering up a hill due to the low rpm shift change....

EChas3 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Quote Originally Posted by RideLikeACaddy View Post
    Koo so its a go since it sounds like it wont hurt to get the software upgrade. mind just keeps shifting too early then shuttering up a hill due to the low rpm shift change....
    I don't recall members with V8's describe this. Chuggle is pretty common but not early shifts or struggles under load.

turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    I don't recall members with V8's describe this. Chuggle is pretty common but not early shifts or struggles under load.
    that is when mine "chuggled"...low speeds when I tried to accelerate from say a cruising speed of 30mph when they car was already in a higher gear

The car would shutter as the car downshifted

The did the software fix...didnt work

They replaced the torque converter under warranty...rebuilt unit...I think the charge would have been about $1600 per the invoice I saw

Warren

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.