AWD STS4 transmission software fix - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, AWD STS4 transmission software fix in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by carter's_sts For those with 2009s; the SW fix has been out for a long time. I don't ...
    next2pool is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance

Re: AWD STS4 transmission software fix

Quote Originally Posted by carter's_sts View Post
    For those with 2009s; the SW fix has been out for a long time. I don't think it would make sense that they would be putting out new cars without the update, unless the the update is only needed for a small percentage of the cars that have something physically wrong. But why wouldn't they have addressed that?

But let us know what the dealers say.
    It varies depending on the issue. Sometimes the production fix is different or as you say, if a small percentage of vehicles have a problem, it may be an ongoing update--esp if there are fuel economy tradeoffs.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacSTS42005 View Post
    Well my 05 was just done.
    I like that it doesnt slam into gear or seem indecisive when attempting to pull a hill under moderate throttle, however I used to engine brake the car to a stop when exiting the highway, the car just doent let itself kick down into a lower gear as fast as it used to. It almost makes me wish that I hadn't had the update done.
    When I bought my 2006 AWD and read about the transmission fix, I wanted it. I do get some noise, usually only when cold. I've never felt the 'chuggle'. As I explored this forum, I found a few members expressing regret they did it. More than a few felt the fix didn't correct their issue. For a few, a noise like mine was corrected with exhaust system counterweights.

Now I plan to avoid it unless I feel chuggle. I've grown to really appreciate the stock trans program. My wife's 2007 RWD has the 6-speed and it's very different in almost every way (more optimized for mileage with early upshifts, lower rear gear, rolling free at speed, etc.)

I can get 21MPG at 65MPH turning 2100 RPM ideal conditions. My wife can get 25MPG at 80MPH at like RPM & conditions. When I drive frisky, mileage drops fast. Hers, not so much. They're both fun but very different.

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

Yeah I've read and noted your posts and at 1st decided against the tranny update, however when pulling a hill under moderate trottle the car just wouldnt accelerate, give it slightly more gas to pull the hill and it would slam into gear, it was driving me nuts. I have a LSX powered vehicle with a stall and tune for increased transmission pressure and it doesnt slam around like what I experienced in this CADILLAC (emphasis on the fact its a Cadillac) so I went ahead with it.
    In retrospect, I do miss the ability to downshift at higher RPMs and power brake the car like I used to but I did buy the car as a winter warrior the LSX is my DD so Id rather it be comfortable and leave the real sporting to my LSX.
    I think I should of insisted they start by replacing the Tq converter but knowing dealers, if theres a TSB out, they are going to follow it to the T to ensure they recieve reimbursment from Cadillac, as such the reprogram is the first step.
    Now I just have to hope that someone eventually hacks the 05-06 PCMS for tuning like the 07s have been and I'll fix the problem myself.

FranchiseSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS AWD V8

I purchased my a 08 STS4 V8 a little over a month ago and soon after getting it home I began to notice how rough the shifting would sometimes be. I tried to ignore it, hoping it was a one time thing but its not. I couldn't believe a Cadillac would shift this way...

So you can imagine how happy I was when I saw this post under the FAQ. After reading a couple posts, I was relieved that my car wasn't the only one and that there was a fix. But as I read more, it seems like this TBS only applies to 05-07 years.

My Question: Is there any possible way that my 08 could not have had the software updated at the factory and my software can be fixed. I would be shocked if my car had the update, it does exactly what everyone here has described to a T. Does anyone know if this issue has effected their 08+ STS4's?

turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

I had the "famous and common" issue...shifted funny...esp when cold and steadily got worse

According to my dealer..the steps
    1. Update the software..if this doesn't work
    2. replace the torque converter...if this doesn't work
    3. tranny rebuild

My car made it through step 2 with problem solved....so I didn't have to go through the tranny rebuild

My dealer said..pretty common in the STS and SRX AWD's

Though I have seen some here complain about RWD versions as well

Makes me wonder ..long term..if the issue is now fixed though and the fact that there are likely some out that are driving around with the "chuggle" becuase their cars are long out of factory warranty

what long term damage is that doing and will this be another issue..like the HG...that is always on the mind of a prospective buyers and taints the reputation and lowers the value..even more

Warren

FranchiseSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS AWD V8

Quote Originally Posted by turnne View Post
    I had the "famous and common" issue...shifted funny...esp when cold and steadily got worse

According to my dealer..the steps
    1. Update the software..if this doesn't work
    2. replace the torque converter...if this doesn't work
    3. tranny rebuild

My car made it through step 2 with problem solved....so I didn't have to go through the tranny rebuild

My dealer said..pretty common in the STS and SRX AWD's

Though I have seen some here complain about RWD versions as well

Makes me wonder ..long term..if the issue is now fixed though and the fact that there are likely some out that are driving around with the "chuggle" becuase their cars are long out of factory warranty

what long term damage is that doing and will this be another issue..like the HG...that is always on the mind of a prospective buyers and taints the reputation and lowers the value..even more

Warren
    I purchased an extended warranty so I believe it should be covered under warranty. So you are saying that the software update can/should be completed on cars newer than 07?
    Today I also noticed where it feels like there is a lag between pressing the accelerator and the car engaging/accelerating. Its just a slight thud it feels like right as it accelerates. I hope this can be fixed w an update or even the torque converter replacement?

It is a shame that these transmissions do this. I just hope it can be fixed without a tranny rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by FranchiseSTS View Post
    I purchased an extended warranty so I believe it should be covered under warranty. So you are saying that the software update can/should be completed on cars newer than 07?
    Today I also noticed where it feels like there is a lag between pressing the accelerator and the car engaging/accelerating. Its just a slight thud it feels like right as it accelerates. I hope this can be fixed w an update or even the torque converter replacement?

It is a shame that these transmissions do this. I just hope it can be fixed without a tranny rebuild.
    mine was covered by warranty
    I don't know what needs to be done for cars newer than 07..as that is a different trans

It does sound like you have a problem though

As I said before...mine was fixed with an updated torque converter replacement...a job that they had done many times according to my Cadillac dealer

If I were a betting man I would say your dealer knows all about these issues

Warren

I wonder if all the AWD's have the 3.23 gear. If it were lower than that, the 'chuggle' might be more likely.

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

I have checked a few, both V6 and V8 AWD's and have only found 3.23 rear gears.

hellamint is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS4

I just got my STS back from the dealership yesterday. I was getting a 'whining' noise from the transmission, as well as some harsh shifts and 'chuggle'. They replaced the torque converter and did some software reprogramming. It is a night and day difference now! I didn't realize how bad it was until now, but thank god for the CPO warranty! I had an SRX for 8 days while mine was in the shop...wasn't very impressed btw. They also replaced a wheel hub that I didnt' even know was bad. THAT is the service I expect owning a Cadillac!

Quote Originally Posted by hellamint View Post
    I just got my STS back from the dealership yesterday. I was getting a 'whining' noise from the transmission, as well as some harsh shifts and 'chuggle'. They replaced the torque converter and did some software reprogramming. It is a night and day difference now! I didn't realize how bad it was until now, but thank god for the CPO warranty! I had an SRX for 8 days while mine was in the shop...wasn't very impressed btw. They also replaced a wheel hub that I didnt' even know was bad. THAT is the service I expect owning a Cadillac!
    Interesting
    That was the exact situation I had
    They replaced the torque converter and a wheel hub and it was a night and day difference

I also had an SRX loaner as well during the time it was in the shop
    BTW..I noticed on the invoice that my torque converter was replaced with a "remanufacturered" unit..not a new one

all covered by warranty

Warren

pdrury is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Help !!!!!!!!

My car has been in and out of the dealer for a year here in the UAE. They say they can find no fault, there are no codes reported, therefore there is no fault to fix. But the difference to me is night and day.

Has anyone found a way to demonstrate the issue to the dealer - or have them accept the fault is as reported in the TSB - and therefore take the steps identified in the TSB (which would be to now change the TC)

thanks,
    Pasha

In the US, if your area dealers don't help, you can contact the Cadillac Zone Representative to escalate an issue. I don't know if the same customer service model is used in your country. Have you tried calling the phone numbers listed in the owners manual?

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Post a thread in the "Cadillac Customer Care" sub-forum
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...presentatives/

They can help you escalate this issue and hopefully help you get it resolved
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

CADDYBLACK99 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-4 1999 Deville Concours

I have an update!

The real GM TSB number in the correct format is: TSB 06-07-30-030A, Document # 2009091. The doc # will change any time there is a update. I am out of warranty but my advisor said it is 1 hour labor to flash the BCM. If they still have problems finding it they just need to go to the TCC submenu and search "chuggle". I hope this helps, Jesda any way to bump this higher than 6 pages deep?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.