AWD STS4 transmission software fix - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, AWD STS4 transmission software fix in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Has anyone noticed any change in gas mileage after doing the transmission up date on a STS4-V8??..........either better or worse??...
    throhrer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS-4

Re: AWD STS4 transmission software fix

Has anyone noticed any change in gas mileage after doing the transmission up date on a STS4-V8??..........either better or worse??

bierman.d is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 V8

Should be the same.
    Mine is.

DCnative is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS 3.6L AWD & 13 ATS 2.5L RWD

OK looks like I am joining the club about the fourth gear chuggle. Traded-in my 2001 STS V8 for a 2009 V6 DI AWD STS this past June. Enjoying the car with the Bluetooth/NAV/AWD…but the transmission is beginning to worry me. In September, I had the dealer service floor manager test drive and recommended to flash the transmission which improved the hard downshifting. In the past few months my concern now is when the car gets up to 60 MPH and shifts into fourth gear @1700RPM's comes the chuggle. If anyone else is experiencing this issue with the V6 DI AWD, would welcome comments and recommendations.

is not null is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS, 2010 SRX-T

Quote Originally Posted by DCnative View Post
    OK looks like I am joining the club about the fourth gear chuggle. Traded-in my 2001 STS V8 for a 2009 V6 DI AWD STS this past June. Enjoying the car with the Bluetooth/NAV/AWD…but the transmission is beginning to worry me. In September, I had the dealer service floor manager test drive and recommended to flash the transmission which improved the hard downshifting. In the past few months my concern now is when the car gets up to 60 MPH and shifts into fourth gear @1700RPM's comes the chuggle. If anyone else is experiencing this issue with the V6 DI AWD, would welcome comments and recommendations.
    Same here! 2009 V6 DI AWD. I notice it most when going up hills doing around 60 MPH. I'll be taking mine in for minor cosmetic repairs and I was going to mention it to them then. When that happens, I'll post what happens.

turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

I have an 05 AWD V8
    they reflashed the trans...worked better for a little while( 2500 miles)
    Then starting the chugging again. The just replaced the torque converter...replaced the trans fluid, filter and seals
    All seems good now

Warren

themightymezzo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by turnne View Post
    The just replaced the torque converter...replaced the trans fluid, filter and seals
    All seems good now

Warren
    Should be...."All seems good FOR now". I have had them replace these items several times, went several weeks, months only to have the problem always resurface.

I just see how long I can push it out before taking it back to em since it's such a hassle.

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

I have an '06 AWD V8 STS and I've never done anything but drive it and it performs flawlessly. No chuggles, no hard shifts up or down, no milage problems. I guess ignorance is bliss.
    MikesCaddy06 likes this.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

themightymezzo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Yeah it's funny some people never have had the problem and others have. And there seems to be no pattern as to which ones have it and which don't.

CB STS-4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS, 2005 Escalade

Question Re: AWD STS4 transmission software fix

Found the information on this forum and got mine fixed about 1500 miles ago. I hope the fix lasts but I am coming up on warranty expiration in about a month. If this fix doesn't work, the TC replacement is the next step.

I am seriously considering getting the GMPP extended warranty, but it is seems very expensive. The STS-4 is loaded with features that seem costly to repair so maybe it will be worth the peace of mind for the $3000-4000 cost.

M.A.C is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS-V8

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    Did they do anything else? I had an issue they thought was the drive-by-wire gas pedal control. It turned out to be a throttle-body wiring connector.

OK. The TCM programming helped. The problem continued to get worse. Software couldn't revert to OEM unless it was never saved. One or more of the inputs to the TCM could cause it to misbehave.
    My '05 STS (RWD) shifts hard from 1st to 2nd because of delayed shifting out of 1st. So I'll let up off the gas to decrease rpms so I don't get a hard jerk when it shifts. Otherwise, I'll accelerate slowly to avoid the higher rpms until it shifts to 2nd. Sometimes the hard 1-2 shift goes away which is a real treat.

I called OnStar about my monthly diagnostic report and was told that I have a code related to the Throttle Body and/or air intake sensor. I was told the issue causes inaccurate air intake readings which in turn could cause harsh shifting. I replaced the Throttle Body but the problem still persists. I have to buy a code reader to find out why my check engine light is on which I hope will pin down exactly what is going on as it relates to this air intake sensor or whatever it is. I checked the Throttle Body harness and didn't see anything wrong with it.

turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

Quote Originally Posted by throhrer View Post
    Has anyone noticed any change in gas mileage after doing the transmission up date on a STS4-V8??..........either better or worse??
    Mine seems to be a bit bitter...I also noticed that the car feels faster off the line

Warren

howiex is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-AWD

What year STS are you guys talking about? I have a 2008, should I be worried.

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

Well my 05 was just done.
    I like that it doesnt slam into gear or seem indecisive when attempting to pull a hill under moderate throttle, however I used to engine brake the car to a stop when exiting the highway, the car just doent let itself kick down into a lower gear as fast as it used to. It almost makes me wish that I hadn't had the update done.

bbshriver is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8

I had the update done on my car (RWD only), and am very happy with it!

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4

For those with 2009s; the SW fix has been out for a long time. I don't think it would make sense that they would be putting out new cars without the update, unless the the update is only needed for a small percentage of the cars that have something physically wrong. But why wouldn't they have addressed that?

But let us know what the dealers say.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.