AWD STS4 transmission software fix - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, AWD STS4 transmission software fix in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Guys, Does this apply to the '07 STS4 and up 6spd trannys? From reading most of this thread it seems ...
    05+CTS+V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 1SG STS4

Re: AWD STS4 transmission software fix

Guys,

Does this apply to the '07 STS4 and up 6spd trannys? From reading most of this thread it seems to only apply to the earlier 5spds.

However, my 07 STS4 w/13k feels like it doesn't know what gear it wants to be in at times, especially at lower speeds.

Let me know.

Thanks.

ahuyghe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac STS 4

Yes, I've had the problem with my 07 STS AWD 6 speed trans. My earlier posts describes the problem and resolution.

Al

Spyke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Simon View Post
    After getting the software update, I am still having trouble with what the tranny is doing. When I go down a hill, the RPMS go down (1100 RPMS) and back up (1900 RPM) 2 and sometimes 3 times. My foot is NOT on the gas, I am just coasting. It just feels and sounds weird and I know it is not suppose to do that. I have 28K on the clock? Should I suggest my torque converter be changed and a tranny flush?
    I have the exact issue with my 2005 cts with the transmission and when disengaging the A/C, it seems that the problem go away.

They update the transmission software and nothing changed. They flushed the transmission, nothing changed. The torque converter is working at 100% so they dont want to change it and I'm out of warranty so they really want to help me without stealing me.

The testdrive the car with me inside and saw the issue. They just dont know why this happened because with their computer (tech2) they didn't find anything wrong. So there is something there but no one knows the reason and how to fix it.

bierman.d is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 V8

Hey everyone.
    2005 STS4 V8 here with 105,000 miles.
    My car has had this problem for almost as long as I can remember (started about 20,000 miles IIRC).

Long story short, I've forced myself to ignore it for 80,000 miles by shifting "myself" which typically reduces shift harshness to tolerable levels. But recently I got thinking: Why should I have to do this... in a Cadillac of all?
    So at about 100,000 miles, I took the car in and had it programmed for $30 or so. It worked almost perfectly after that (4th gear shifts were still a tad harsh, but undeniable improvement). Of course, it's all going bad again. I love everything about the car so I want to keep it until it dies, but not if that means I have to put up with a dumb transmission.

To anyone with experience here: If I replaced the entire torque converter and had it reprogrammed one last time, would that fix the problem for the rest of the life of the car?

If not, any hope that Cadillac will issue a fix if we all start complaining? I just can't believe that this problem would go unresolved. STS isn't that uncommon of a car, and at $50,000+, this is just unacceptable.

bierman, its not just the sts, its the cts, its the pontiac g8, its the srx. I remember my ford sho was doing the same thing. It was the a/c demanding too much load on the transmission.

I've read in the 2008+ cts forum something about grade braking. Maybe this is the reason.

I'd really like to help. I'm someone picky, trust me and I've paid a lot of $$$ to try to fix the problem but I'm tired of spending $$$ for nothing.

I've change the throttle body, the maf sensor, spark plugs, reprogrammed the transmission, the pcm, ecm. Changed some wheel hub assembly (could be a problem with abs or speed sensor).

In 3 months, Christmas is coming and I want to buy my gf a great gift so I have to stop throwing money at the dealership and transmission shop.

Thanks for the reply but I don't think you're grasping the situation quite yet. The car literally jerks the passengers, especially when going into 4th (exactly like when you dump a clutch). I can't picture any car being like this and being "okay" by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe my case is especially terrible, but frankly I won't settle with "just deal with it" and I can't imagine anyone else would in their right mind either. At this point, I dread the thought of giving anyone a ride because I know the first thing on their mind would be "wow, this thing shifts like crap."

I'm 90+% positive the problem is related to the torque converter.. whether it be programming or mechanical or both. My concern is, would it happen again?

I've always heard that GM makes some of the best transmissions in the business; but my experience alone proves otherwise. This STS transmission was perfect when new (one of the selling points of the car), but now it has this unbelievable problem.. and then the auto in my 2003 Silverado 1500HD won't downshift properly at only 50,000 miles... I just can't agree with that statement anymore.

If I can't figure this car out, I'm selling it (not that I want to).
    Not sure what I'd get yet... After driving one, I'm not very fond of the new CTS (cramped, don't like the dash or "high" seating position) and I'm never getting another Audi.. don't like BMWs.. and Lexus is boring.
    Oh, how I hope it works out

bierman, my advice: if you can get someone to get in the transmission table (shifting point, load vs speed vs %throttle etc), I'm sure the problem is there.

Check if you disable the a/c if the problem is still there.

Thanks. I'll look into that.

Problem persists with the A/C off. I rarely have the compressor on but it does not make a difference regardless if it is engaged or not.

mbnv992 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 STS4 V8 (sold), 2005 STS V6 1SC

For what it's worth, I'm 90% sure that my 2007 STS4 is experiencing the same issues. In fact, I've taken it to my dealer several times, and each time I go in, they claim that the engine/tranny is already running the most recent software. I've about given up on this as well. With my car, whenever you go up an incline, it starts "jerking" like it's hunting for a gear. It does this mainly between 25-35MPH. Also, if your on the highway (going let's say 55MPH) and you give it partial gas, it *sometimes* jerks (like the trans. just dumped out of the car). To me, this does not sound normal, but my dealership keeps insisting that nothing is wrong with it. They've taken it on several test drives and each time they keep telling me they cannot replicate the problem. Oh well, I kinda do expect more out of a $54,000 car. My $8,000 2005 Crown Vic shifted much smoother then this car. Other then this issue however, my car is perfect (knock on wood lol).

Yeah I get the jerking (or "chugging") too on occasion. Most of the time it just clunks into gear and it's locked (won't slip relative to throttle.. like a manual). If I let anyone else drive my car, there is absolutely no denying there is a problem.
    I did issue a complaint under warranty which they thought would be solved just by cleaning the throttle body.. obviously that didn't work.
    IIRC, as long as you made a claim under warranty and it is on record, they will look into it even if your car is way out of warranty, right? Maybe I should have my local dealer play around with it until they figure it out (if they even can..).

I know I've mentioned this already, but I am in disbelief that Cadillac can't tweak the software and fix this non-sense once and for all.
    Judging by the delay between a new car and a progressive shifting issue, I imagine it has to do with the performance algorithm shifting or whatever... you know--that program that adjusts the transmission to the way you drive, as you drive. Hence, why reprogramming helps, but only for a few thousand miles.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

This can't be a software problem if virtually no others running eq. software & wear experience it. What are all the TCM inputs that affect the torque converter lockout clutch? One or more inputs must be throwing the system off. If the clutch were really that bad, it would have died by now. Nothing but the clutch could cause the jerks described.

Many cars cut the AC compressor off under acceleration, usually a vacuum leak or sensor is at fault when this control fails. Are there any vacuum lines/sensors feeding the TCM?

mbnv992 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 STS4 V8 (sold), 2005 STS V6 1SC

Ya, I know what you mean.
    As far as if they'll fix it, if your warranty is out, even though they documented the problem before the warranty is out. I think your SOL if you happen to be out of warranty, even if they did have proof (like with my car) that there is a problem, but they can't fix it. So, if something major goes wrong down the road (tranny craps the bed, etc.) then guess what, we'll be stuck with a major bill.
    I bought my 2007 STS4 new, and this has been it's ONLY problem (the tranny shifting issue). I also purchased the extended bumper to bumper warranty until 90,000 miles as well. I hate to say this though, but I think when my car does hit 90,000 miles and my warranty is up, I think I'll be getting a new car. These STS's can be VERY expensive to fix out of warranty.
    Good luck with your problems!

EChas3: What do you suppose could be the reasoning behind the programming? I distinctly remember that when I took it in at 100k, it made a huge difference. Shifting to 4th was still a bit harsher than when brand new, but I attributed much of this to TC clutch damage (which I expect to have). Still, tremendous change in it's shifting performance; shifted more smoothly, slipped the TC more, held gears in a smarter manner when ascending etc...
    Of course, things progressively turned sour again a few thousand miles later.
    I can't fathom why else it acts this way..

mbnv992: So much for the warranty then I guess. Frankly I wouldn't mind putting in a new tranny myself if I knew it wouldn't act up again. The car means enough to me that I wanted to run her as long as she could. This transmission just isn't working for me though.

Maybe I'm just here for the sympathy I think I should probably start working it out with my dealer soon (not much I can do by myself). If nothing else, maybe they will have more pull than I when it comes to reporting to Cadillac.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Did they do anything else? I had an issue they thought was the drive-by-wire gas pedal control. It turned out to be a throttle-body wiring connector.

OK. The TCM programming helped. The problem continued to get worse. Software couldn't revert to OEM unless it was never saved. One or more of the inputs to the TCM could cause it to misbehave.

That particular instance, no. I printed off some of the posts of this thread I found important and told them what I wanted them to do. They browsed the posts and it sounds like they've never had to deal with this before (for the record, in my town of roughly 9,000 I can name four STS4 V8s that I see regularly). I highlighted the TSB# to apply and in about 1/2 an hour, the car was ready. I noticed a difference right away. I was very pleased.

I may write Cadillac soon addressing my concern.
    I truthfully don't expect anything (maybe an apology and a "claim" that they submitted my case to proper recipients), but maybe I'll get lucky and they'll really push to please me.
    I guess we'll see.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.