AWD STS4 transmission software fix - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, AWD STS4 transmission software fix in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Went to the dealer today for something else and thought I'd ask them to look this up just for the ...
    Skibanker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: AWD fix finally, for suffering STS4 owners!

Went to the dealer today for something else and thought I'd ask them to look this up just for the heck of it. They couldn't find it under the TSB number or the "chuggle" search, but did find it under the document number. Seems it applies only to STS4's with a V-8 (mine's a V-6). It's not new software, just tweaks the current software to disengage the torque converter clutch after the tranny reaches normal operating temperature. So, no TC induced drag. The TSB says to look for the trouble with V-8's over 20,000 miles.

nasser is offline Cadillac Owners Member

just came back from my trip and called my dealer where i left the car for the last 4 days . he told me they have installed a new software for the tranny , the software was just released ( two or three weeks ago )
    also they replaced the rack for the steering noise
    i will test the car tommorow and give you the feed back

nasser is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Guys , this is magic
    million thanks to Tedasaurus
    now my Cadillac is shifting like it should
    they simply installed a new software - I don't know what is the Number but it was newly released - if your dealer cannot find it simply print this forum and show it to him
    thank you again Tedasaurus , you saved my Cadillac from giving it away
    also they replaced the steering rack because there was a claim
    also there is an update for the engine software , but I don't know what was it about , but I know that they installed a new software for the engine

allen65 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Nasser, glad it worked for you as well. Yes it really is a huge difference. It seems that the common information that everyone is able to find is the document number. I don't know why the TSB is not working for some folks but the Doc#1866746 does.

tedasaurus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1981 Fleetwood, 1994 Fleetwood

Quote Originally Posted by nasser View Post
    Guys , this is magic
    million thanks to Tedasaurus
    now my Cadillac is shifting like it should
    they simply installed a new software - I don't know what is the Number but it was newly released - if your dealer cannot find it simply print this forum and show it to him
    thank you again Tedasaurus , you saved my Cadillac from giving it away
    also they replaced the steering rack because there was a claim
    also there is an update for the engine software , but I don't know what was it about , but I know that they installed a new software for the engine
    Really glad to hear it worked for you as it did for me. BTW I now have the car at 7,500 ft and it still is doing great.

RichF59 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado ETC (Z); 2006 STS V8 AWD (1SG)

I had the fix applied by my dealer. I printed out this string and gave it to him prior to my appointment so that he could research it first if he needed to. Well, the fix was applied and I can't stress what a difference it makes in the driving experience. It feels like a new transmission. This car now drives as it should. Seamless, linear accelleration on inclines. No more sudden downshifts or lurching accelleration. I can't believe Cadillac releases these cars from the factory with the shift logic that my car was delivered with. There must be a reason though. Does anyone have any clue as to why the cars are delivered with this eratic shift logic programmed in? Hopefully, Cadillac corporate visits these websites and gleans some of this usefull information from the field.

Richard Clouse is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts (awd)

I just got my '06 STS4 "fixed" with the application of (I think) this TSB. In my case, there was a vibration (chuggle?) in the driveline on light acceleration, and this fixed that! By reprogramming the torque converter clutch to engage at higher speeds, it also gives considerably smoother shifting compared to before the change. On my paperwork from the dealer, it referenced bulletin 06-07-30-030. If you do a Google search on that, you can read the (brief) description. I originally told them to use the 3456D TSB, and this is what I got. So maybe there is yet ANOTHER way to specify this fix. By the way, this is my first post on this site, and it's been very helpful. Thanks!

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Much appreciated, Richard!

Zig28 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V6

Re: AWD STS4 transmission software fix

Just visited the NHTSA recall site at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov and did a search on 2006 STS and there are a bunch of recalls, including 4 for the transmission, one of which is a transmission replacement recall!
    Ziggy.

uiwchris is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS V8

Ok, so my transmission was doing the same thing on my '05 V8. THe bulletin is the same, 06-07-30-030. On the surface it shifts SOOO MUCH better than before.

However, I found an odd quirk with the software update.
    When going downhill, at about 38-40 mph, with the foot off the gas pedal, the car shifts back and forth constantly from *I think* 4th to 5th gears. It is like it thinks it is going too fast, so it shifts to 4th to slow down, then when it slows down less than 1 mph, it thinks it needs to 5th gear to retain speed. VERY ANNOYING. To trick it, I put it into manual shift mode to make it stay in one gear going downhill. Otherwise, it shifts every second.

Anyone else having this problem with the software update?

STS2002 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by uiwchris View Post
    Ok, so my transmission was doing the same thing on my '05 V8. THe bulletin is the same, 06-07-30-030. On the surface it shifts SOOO MUCH better than before.

However, I found an odd quirk with the software update.
    When going downhill, at about 38-40 mph, with the foot off the gas pedal, the car shifts back and forth constantly from *I think* 4th to 5th gears. It is like it thinks it is going too fast, so it shifts to 4th to slow down, then when it slows down less than 1 mph, it thinks it needs to 5th gear to retain speed. VERY ANNOYING. To trick it, I put it into manual shift mode to make it stay in one gear going downhill. Otherwise, it shifts every second.

Anyone else having this problem with the software update?
    I have been experiencing the same thing after the reprogram. However, I have a problem with it hard shifting and I thought this reprogram would help with that too, but it didn't. So, I will need to take it back in and address this problem now.

uiwchris is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS V8

Mine still hard shifts into 4th gear

05STSWOW is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS 1-SG, traded in 2005 STS4 1-SG

I took my 2005 STS4 N* in for warranty service just as I hit the 50k mark. I printed this thread and gave it to the service writer who left it on the seat for the tech. I got it back a couple of days later and what a difference!
    This car now shifts the way they described it in the original marketing materials, taking complete advantage of the PAL program (Performance Algorithm Liftfoot shifting). The car accelerates seamlessly with no more stumble accelerating from 10-15 mph. The shifts are extremely smooth but very direct. Cruising at 40-50 mph on a surface street in sD you realize you are in 4th instead of 5th OD, just as it's supposed to be. It will hold in gear (3rd or 4th) as you coast down a hill providing compression braking. Even using manual mode seems better. I hardly ever touch the brakes. This car drives more closely to the feel of a stick shift when in sD with all the convenience of an automatic.
    The invoice had the following information:
    50015 UPDATED TCM PROGRAM AVAILABLE K5364.7 REPROGRAM TCM TO LATEST CALIBRATION REPAIRS PER DOC 1866746 OLD CAL ID - 24232176 NEW CAL ID - 24238943 WARRANTY CLAIM CODE 18903 PROGRAM WAS NOT AVAILABLE WHEN T.CONV REPLACED
    I hope this info helps sommeone else out there.

mike sts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I was not experiencing the same degree of trouble as others but felt the car did not shift nearly as smooth as other caddis i had did. Took the car in for the re program and noticed a big difference, it is much smoother now and downshifts when going down hill to assist with braking.

jmyrick is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Had my 05 1sg pkg done today and what a huge difference, my wife even noticed right away. I took a printout of this string as well. Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.