Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Front CV Axle not seating into differential?

3K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  dkozloski 
#1 ·
I just had to replace my front passenger CV axle due to a ripped boot, and replaced the axle seal while I was there. I don't think the axle is seated all the way in the diff, is there any tricks (special tools) to get it in farther about 1cm? I'm not able to push it in any further.

#5 ·
Can you get a picture. If you truly made to within a cm of fully installed the snap ring should be no issue. The snap ring should already be compressed and inside the CV axle. Once you make it passed the snap ring it should just be a matter of pushing it until it stops. Some times a large soft faced hammer can be helpful to get it in all the way. Is this an OE axle or Aftermarket? The fitment of many aftermarket CV's leaves something to be desired. Wasn't always so. But one by one the aftermarket CV axle manufacturers have all cheaped out. I'ts gotten to the point that I reboot OE axles as long as I can get decent boots for them.

#9 ·
Looks like it is in enough. But, it is harder to tell from a picture than I thought it would be. I can feel if they are in all the way when I install them but, that is hard to describe. If you feel a noticeable detent when removing from that position and if it slides in and then hits a hard stop at that position when installing I'd say it is all the way in.

#10 ·
Yeah the snap ring feels like it's in it's detent, I can't pull the axle out with both hands. I'll check again soon if it's still leaking, I just power washed the underside because my valve covers are leaking and there's oil everywhere...

#14 ·
The number is Kent-Moore J-44394 and they sell for peanuts on Ebay. They are used to protect the seal both during disassembly and assembly. They are cheap and easy and allow you to pay more attention to other facets of the job without danger of damaging the seal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.