STS 2005: Reactions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, STS 2005: Reactions in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; These are my feelings: Overall, a big disappointment. Of the previous vehicles adopting the Art+Science theme, the XLR is the ...
    fallenstarseven is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thumbs down STS 2005: Reactions

These are my feelings:

Overall, a big disappointment. Of the previous vehicles adopting the Art+Science theme, the XLR is the most successful and the SRX the least successful. To keep the momentum, Cadillac should have carried on with what they did with the show cars--give us different iterations or flavors of the overall design language. The STS clearly fails to take the language another step and doesn't even apply it as well as the CTS, the first vehicle out the door with the new look.

It's obvious to me that Lutz (or someone) watered down the look.

The headlight treatment is the weakest element. The lights taper from bottom to top, giving it a static feel that might have been ok on the SRX, which as an SUV needs to look solid and safe. The STS, however, needs to look nimble, rakish, fast, and luxurious. Something a biit narrower that canted inward and tapered from top to bottom, like the Sixteen's headlights, would have been much more distinctive.

The grill doesn't add much to the package--where are some of the lovely grills we saw on the show cars? It's far too small. This car will look even blander with a mesh V-series grill.

The body shape, at least what we've been able to see from the spy shots and the one official photo, neither attempts to apply the design language on a softer overall shape, nor carriers it in the opposite direction, progressing with the knife-edge direction it was first shown with. Instead, it looks tamped down and cheap. This looks like the product of one of GM's factories of old, not the product of fresh thinking.

The old Seville had its own presence, a certain elegance. The new STS looks bland and even a little narrow--it visually doesn't look much larger than the CTS, at least in these photos. There's nothing here to appeal to a BMW or Mercedes or even Lexus driver.

My bottom line: Huge missed opportunity at a very very important moment in the Cadillac comeback. No wonder they didn't show it at Detroit--they knew they blew it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Vesicant is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None :(

Arrow Re: STS 2005: Reactions

Good opinion, but being me... I tend to take a "rice racer" attitude to it, I personally think it looks close to the beefed up M5 from BMW. IF you lowered the car and put some on nice sideskirts, front airdam on it, (and the wheels look perfect as they are)... like they've done with the M5; it would look simply dangerious! And in my opinion, even the un-modifyed one looks dangerious. Then again, thats me... I think they are using variations of the edge design but just not drastically changing the look Much.

Looks like a BMW Killer to me!

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Re: STS 2005: Reactions

We'll see how much they 'blew it' when it is released. I've heard some very critical comments on this car and it has not even been released yet! I remember much the same thing floating about the internet when the CTS was released and look how well that has done.

I don't like the idea of Cadillac softening the Art&Science look(yes, I loved the Sixteen, but I believe the sharp creases will give the company a better sense of identity by contrasting their competitors' typically round designs), but I will reserve judgement until I can see one in person. Some cars need to be seen in the real world to appreciate their presence.

2004_SRX_ is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I honestly don't understand how people, especially Cadillac fans, can be upset with the '05 STS. I can see you are the slightest bit disappointed because it was toned down, like you said, probably by Lutz. But the Seville was never the best looking Caddy, and I assume they are keeping it that way with its replacement. If you like the SRX, you should like this. I think they share many lines and though they don't look as good on the sedan as on the SUV, it is still very attractive. Like gothicaleigh, I will reserve my definite judgment untill I see this thing in person. Speaking of that, I guess it won't make any show appearances this year?

It was going to be introduced in New York, or has that changed?

Brett is offline Watching the Watchers

While Im not totally sold on it. I think the toned down look fits to the target demographic. Wow em with the CTS, then as they age and become more conservative give them the STS. It seems like a decent plan, assuming thats what Cadillac was thinking

Yeah, I agree that they're 'playing it safe' with the STS design so they don't alienate those who may be put off by the CTS' polarizing looks (I thank the automotive press for that term, it describes the car perfectly).

banstyle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I'm going to reserve judgement in lieu of more detailed pictures and the ability to view the car in-person. When it comes out this fall, then I'll know how I feel, especially as a Seville afficianado.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

This always happens. I hated the Camaro when it first came around in 1993. I thought it looked just like a Geo Storm. Take a look at a place you'd never expect this type of talk - www.corvetteforum.com - 90% of the Corvette enthusiasts grumbled about the looks of the C5.. Look at how many are grumbling about the looks of the C6... This is normal behavior...
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

I dunno, quite a few so far seem to agree on the design faux pas (sp?) here, Im actually surprised a previous lurker or new user made the effort to actually sign up and post just for this purpose. I agree however we need to wait to see it in person before passing full judgement. I will say this however guys, I liked the last two STS's from the FIRST moment I saw them. There was never a watering down and getting used to it period for me, they were just awesome right from the start. So I think maybe I had my expectations set a little too high for the new one. Like Gothicaleigh said... well wait and see what the sales numbers reveal... (cadillac could you give us a damn ass shot somewhere please).

fallenstarseven is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I liked the CTS and all of the show cars from the moment I saw them. I currently drive a BMW and my spouse and I have been excited about what's happening at Cadillac. I loved the previous Seville as the only distinguished design in the entire Cadillac portfolio for the past decade or so. I have been monitoring this forum and various other sources for any whisper of what the new STS would look like.

And as I've stated, it's just plain disappointing. I will be glad if new pictures prove me wrong, but I can tell from the spy shots and the one undisguised photo that that is not likely.

It will be shameful if GM develops week knees and fails to live up to the promise that the Evoq, Image, Vizon, and the new models have all conveyed. Wimping out in a misguided effort to "keep the old crowd happy" means we'll get cars from Cadillac that are neither fish nor fowl. Have some faith in your customers--if you have faith in your new design language and your vision for Cadillac, you should have faith that your customers will understand and follow you there.

The one thing I can say about Chris Bangle, the BMW design chief, is that he is sticking to his guns on the new design direction-even though he's taken harsh criticixm for it. The big difference is, his new design theme is incoherent and downright ugly, and is cheapening his band, while the Cadillac theme enhances the Cadillac brand. Too bad Cadillac seems to be losing the kind of guts that brought us the show cars, the CTS, and the Sixteen.

ShadowLvr400 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood

Still hate the CTS looks, and the STS, even a watered down mimic, is still a mimic of the CTS. Personally, I think whichever engineer designed this current Cadillac look.... Should be castrated with fishing line as they are sodomized by Mike Tyson, in front of their grandparents. But, that's my opinion.
    The drivetrain may be fun though. AWD with a V8 pushing it could be a real blast.

Pete03Z06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I disagree about the design of Cadillac's new generation being the wrong way to go. If they didn't take some action as such and produce something that a LOT of people really like, they would continue to lose and lose and lose market share with boring products. Cadillac's new stuff (with the exception of this new STS, not sure about it) is just what the company needed :coolgleam

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

I prefer '04 over '05 ,but it doesn't mean that I don't like the design ,however I wish front view was similar to Cadillac Sixteen not CTS .And also Seville models have always looked different to other Cadillac models but this new design brings this mothing .
    For instance:
    When you look at the current rear or front of the STS , you can see a difference on the headlamps as well as taillights.So to say it's staring you at the face because of horizontal shape

Caddy Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG

i kno cadillac is using a deisgn theme with all their cars...but all of the cars are turnin out exactly the same!!! same lookin grill, same ''stacked'' healights...this is why i dont want the DTS to change right now. its just gonna look like a variation of the others. i think the new sts is alright but it looks to much like a cts, i abolsultly loved the past 2 STS generations (i think it was 93-97 and then 98-03?)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.