Restitution
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Restitution in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; On March 15th, I took delivery of a 2006 STS V6 1SC and I'm having the same problems as many ...
    jmauceri is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 STS 1SC

Question Restitution

On March 15th, I took delivery of a 2006 STS V6 1SC and I'm having the same problems as many of you with the VR system and the radio ot muting w/bluetooth calls. I'm also experiencing a noise coming from the calipers banging into the rotors (there's a TSB on this). Apparently, the caliper issue only applies to STS's with performance brakes.

I'm bringing the car into the dealer tomorrow to have brake problem fixed (2nd time), but Cadillac has told the dealer that there's nothing they can do regarding the VR and radio issues, that they're aware of the problem and are working towards a solution.

Since all of these issues would not exist had I not opted fot the $6000 1SC package I've been making a big stink with the dealer and customer care.

So far they have offered me 1 year free maintenance as good will to which I flatly rejected and asked that they up the ante. What do you guys think is fair?

Thanks,

Joe

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BarryNS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS V8 RWD 1SG+Perf Coll. + Perf Handlin pkg

Re: Restitution

They've been working on a resolution for the VR system since I bought the 2005 over a year ago. Not once have they been proactive in letting us know what is going on. They didn't even modify the system for the 2006. I think they probably need some help and a little push. There probably are enough people affected for a class action law suite to get them moving. The Navigation system is a disaster, windows are blowing out the rear for no known reason. Brakes appear to be a problem. Some of the features we paid for are in the manual such as global closing of all windows and the top from the remote were never implemented. I bet a lawyer would be willing to do a free consultation to consider class action.......that is before GM goes bankrupt.

Thanks for the reply Barry. What do you think of their offer? I was thinking at least 1 lease payment! Anyone else have any experience or opinions on this?

BTW Barry, the global closing feature works on my car if I hold the lock button for 2 seconds as stated in the manual.

Thanks again guys, forums like these are a great tool for the consumer!

Joe

PTC Sclade is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I have gone around with GM regarding this issue (VR) as well as them giving a free update for the Nav system to the 06 owners but not the 05 owners. Last conversation with GM customer service resulted in a nasty conclusion. I told them that after 40 years with GM products I would never purchase another one due to the way they have handled the VR system, the Nav system, and the upgrade for Onstar (dealer told me when I bought the 05 that it would the state of the art technology). There is no way we should have to purchase three years of Onstar up front in order to get an upgrade. The customer service rep stated she would just mark me dissatisfied and hung up. Cadillac just does not truly care about its owners. No wonder that GM may soon be thing of the past.

rjm
    rjm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '15 Escalade Premium Majestic Plum Metallic

Work with your service advisor and get him/her to get an area manager drive your vehicle.

If it hadn't been for my dealer going to bat for me, I'd still have my '05 STS in the garage. The people at Customer Service are powerless, and the only thing they know is what's on the computer screen in front of them. My service manager told me that they really don't have the authority to do anything other than offer to make a payment and that was unacceptable to me. He explained the proper procedure is getting the problem diagnosed, acknowledging that it can't be fixed, getting an area manager to drive the car, and go from there, which in my case was a repurchase.

From the time the area manager drove my vehicle until I signed all the necessary papers and returned the vehicle was exactly 3 months.

I was persistent, polite (but firm), and never backed away from my objective--getting GM to repurchase my car.

Good Luck.

BarryNS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS V8 RWD 1SG+Perf Coll. + Perf Handlin pkg

[quote=jmauceri]Thanks for the reply Barry. What do you think of their offer? I/quote]

The relationship with a specific car and is unique to everybody so it is hard to say what would be a satisfying compensation. In my case, I am very conflicted. I started out with a 2005 Lexus (first time Lexus owner) and switched to 2005 STS V8 (14th Caddy) because it drove so much better. However, I refuse to deal with a company that has gotten too big (?? too poor) to remain respectful of its customers. This was not the first problem I had with Caddy. In the past they refused to acknowedge responsibility for a dealer installed Caddy Accessory which was ordered with the new car and installed prior to delivery. As now, but for a different reason, I was left with a very expensive car that was missing some of the features I paid for. I find it very hard to be loyal to a company I can't trust. So, my intention is to go back to the Lexus when the 2007's come out in October. (and if anybody asked me, I'd tell them to look for a better investment then a Caddy.)

I try to be mindful that it is the nature of a forum like this to concentrate on problems and therefore it gives the impression that the problems are more widespread then they might be. In my case, after one bad experience I gave them an another chance, and got stepped on again.

rjm

[quote=BarryNS]
    Quote Originally Posted by jmauceri
    Thanks for the reply Barry. What do you think of their offer? I/quote]

The relationship with a specific car and is unique to everybody so it is hard to say what would be a satisfying compensation. In my case, I am very conflicted. I started out with a 2005 Lexus (first time Lexus owner) and switched to 2005 STS V8 (14th Caddy) because it drove so much better. However, I refuse to deal with a company that has gotten too big (?? too poor) to remain respectful of its customers. This was not the first problem I had with Caddy. In the past they refused to acknowedge responsibility for a dealer installed Caddy Accessory which was ordered with the new car and installed prior to delivery. As now, but for a different reason, I was left with a very expensive car that was missing some of the features I paid for. I find it very hard to be loyal to a company I can't trust. So, my intention is to go back to the Lexus when the 2007's come out in October. (and if anybody asked me, I'd tell them to look for a better investment then a Caddy.)

I try to be mindful that it is the nature of a forum like this to concentrate on problems and therefore it gives the impression that the problems are more widespread then they might be. In my case, after one bad experience I gave them an another chance, and got stepped on again.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Although I haven't as many Cadillacs as you, I've owned my fair share, and until now hadn't had any serious problems. The few I've experienced have been handled efficiently and quickly by the dealer and forgotten. But this experience has given me a new perspective and food for thought. My last statement to someone at Cadillac Customer Service was along the lines of "if this is the way you treat long time customers, I'd hate to see what a new customer is experiencing.

I agree that we visit for problems and can give the impression that all Cadillacs are troublesome. I'll admit that the only reason I sought out this website was all the problems I'd experienced with my STS. Up to it, all the DeVilles I'd owned hadn't given me a moments trouble and when GM agreed to repurchase my STS, I immediately without hesitation ordered a DTS as a replacement. Even though I really liked the STS, once bitten twice shy so to speak so I went back to what was familiar.

I hope things work out for you.

Thanks again for the replies, you make some excellent points.

Although I agree that everyone's situation is unique in its own right, I solicited your opinions because I was curious to know what Cadillac may have done in similar situations.

UPDATE:
    I got a call today from the Area Service Manager who said he is escalating my case to involve a "Regional Service Engineer". He also claimed that the "free maintenance" for 1 year was a goodwill gesture and did not mean cadillac was admitting that the cannot fix my car as I had perceived it. I expressed to him that i was not optimistic that my car would be repaired because I had done my own research and found that Cadillac has known about the issues (VR and radio mute w/bluetooth) I''m having since the 2005 model year. He said he understands my position, but he's going to do whatever he can to repair my car.

I'll keep you posted.

Joe

rjm

Quote Originally Posted by jmauceri
    UPDATE:
    I got a call today from the Area Service Manager who said he is escalating my case to involve a "Regional Service Engineer". He also claimed that the "free maintenance" for 1 year was a goodwill gesture and did not mean cadillac was admitting that the cannot fix my car as I had perceived it. I expressed to him that i was not optimistic that my car would be repaired because I had done my own research and found that Cadillac has known about the issues (VR and radio mute w/bluetooth) I''m having since the 2005 model year. He said he understands my position, but he's going to do whatever he can to repair my car.

I'll keep you posted.

Joe
    That's what they kept telling me--we're confident you will best be served by allowing the warranty process to function as designed--that is until the engineer drove my vehicle.

My service manager at the dealer had warned before the man came to town to drive my vehicle that many times they will put considerable miles on the car to really assess the problems and to not be surprised if my car had more than 50 miles added to the odometer. He told me the engineers take the cars out and drive them, many times all day long. I dropped my car off the evening before and the engineer was scheduled to drive my car aound 11 am. My service advisor called me about 10:30 to inform me that GM had agreed to repurchase my vehicle. When I went to pick my car up, he had only driven it 5 miles, which didn't surprise me since one of the problems I was experiencing was that the vehicle would not start or would idle briefly then stall.

Be patient, polite, but firm and things will work out.

Good luck.

UPDATE:
    Well, after 6 months, countless phone calls and 7 trips to the dealer, They're repurchasing my car!

I don't have time right now to give all the details, but I'll respond to any questions you guys have.

Thank you for all your help. I don't think I would have had the knowledge nor the confidence to go through the whole process without this forum.

Joe Mauceri

migsgig is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

new to forum! just went thru repurchase program myself! I had a 2004 xlr that had reocurring issues for more than 2 years. I started repurchase program in Late July and by September 8th GM purchased my xlr and put me into 2006 STS V8 1G. Just learning all oF the features but so far love this car!!!!! Overall, I was completely satisfied with how GM handled everything!!
    good luck!!
    migsgig

Well, the Cadillac DSM changed his mind and offered to trade out my car instead. I was real upset at first, but after thinking it over I decided to accept his offer.

The STS is a leased vehicle, so when I thought about it I realized that if I allowed GM to swap out my car, my orignal lease contract would continue and I could use that to my advantage.

To make a long story short, I will be taking delivery of a 2007 Corvette Coupe in a few weeks and still have the original buyback price as with the STS.

Yeah for me.

STS4TOM is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Smile Re: Restitution

Don't let them off the hook. I have an 05 STS4 and complained about the VR right after I bouth it. Customer care, last July(05) told me they knew of the problem and were working on the software. I brought the car back 4 times for the same problem...The offered me a one-year maintenance contract for my trouble and I accepted. I continued to hound them for the VR problem. Finally, in Dec 2005, they called me back and told me they were closing the case and that the system was working as designed. My dealer was astounded. I then tried to analize problem myself with dealer help to no avail(I really love the car but for the VR). I even paid ~$500 to upgrade the Nav system to digital since it replace part of the VR system. This helped the VR for the on-board phone, but not for all othe commands. Finally, when I called GM one last time and they refused any settlement, I got mad. I called Better Business Bureau and files a complaint under the Lemon Law(CA). The very next day GM called me and admitted the problem and asked me what settlement I wanted. I asked them to fix it or give me my money back. Three weeks later, the day before my BBB Hearing, GM called me and offered a settlement. They paid me back in full for the car ~$28k(down,payments+interest). I am turning the car in next week and taking delivery of my 07 STS-4 at the same time.
    HANG IN THERE AND GO GRT EM

graphicguy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by STS4TOM View Post
    Don't let them off the hook. I have an 05 STS4 and complained about the VR right after I bouth it. Customer care, last July(05) told me they knew of the problem and were working on the software. I brought the car back 4 times for the same problem...The offered me a one-year maintenance contract for my trouble and I accepted. I continued to hound them for the VR problem. Finally, in Dec 2005, they called me back and told me they were closing the case and that the system was working as designed. My dealer was astounded. I then tried to analize problem myself with dealer help to no avail(I really love the car but for the VR). I even paid ~$500 to upgrade the Nav system to digital since it replace part of the VR system. This helped the VR for the on-board phone, but not for all othe commands. Finally, when I called GM one last time and they refused any settlement, I got mad. I called Better Business Bureau and files a complaint under the Lemon Law(CA). The very next day GM called me and admitted the problem and asked me what settlement I wanted. I asked them to fix it or give me my money back. Three weeks later, the day before my BBB Hearing, GM called me and offered a settlement. They paid me back in full for the car ~$28k(down,payments+interest). I am turning the car in next week and taking delivery of my 07 STS-4 at the same time.
    HANG IN THERE AND GO GRT EM
    Just curious....my dealer replicated my VR, bluetooth and audio problems on an '07 STS, but said the same thing. They work as designed.

What makes you think that an '07 won't have the same problems as your
    "old" car?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.