Changed my own oil.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Changed my own oil. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I decided to change my own oil in my new 2006 sts v6, out of curiosity mostly, just to see ...
    durdle is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Changed my own oil.

I decided to change my own oil in my new 2006 sts v6, out of curiosity mostly, just to see where everything is. First I didn't know where the oil filter was because it's not obvious. Got the location from another thread in this forum. (It's on the drivers side on the side of the motor under the removeable cover. I didn't realize that the filter is an internal cartridge type rather than a canister type. I was amazed at how small the filter is. I went with Mobil 1 5w-30. I bought a 5 qt. container plus an additional 1 qt. at Wal-Mart (best prices there). I drained the oil, changed the filter and replaced the oil with 6 qts. just like the specs. say. To my amazement, when I checked the level after running the car, the dip stick showed about 1 qt. over the full mark!!! Here was the problem. First, when draining the oil, you have to let the it drain for a loooong time!! There is a lot of oil in this engine that stays in the upper portions and it doesn't drain into the oil pan very fast. It drains much faster if you let the engine warm up first. I thought I had drained all of it out since there was only a very small dribble left. Must have had about a qt. still remaining up in the bowels of the motor. So I had to drain about a qt. out to get to the max. level. The book says that the engine can be damaged if you exceed the maximum level.

Hope this helps all of you "Do-it-yourself" types aviod over-filling with oil.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

caddycruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's

Re: Changed my own oil.

Sounds like you did good, BUT...never fill up to the full specified capacity right off the bat. Always remember to get close, then check it, and add more if need be. There's always some left inside, so you have to remember that.

For instance, our cars typically say 5 qts, so we go to a little over 4 to maybe 4.5, check it, start it, turn it off, and check it again--based on that one, we know whether to add anymore or not, and usually never have to because of the residual in there.

jason06sts is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Changed my own oil.

Whenever changing oil on any car, you should always remove the oil filler cap to allow all the oil pressurized in the motor to drop to the pan,by not removing the cap you are allowing up to a quart to sit in the upper portion of the motorthat won't drain. the motor has to be vented to allow all the oil to drain. If the oil filter is located at the top of the motor like mercedes you should also open the oil filter housing as well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.