STS-RWD plus Snow plus Chicago...Snow Tires
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, STS-RWD plus Snow plus Chicago...Snow Tires in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ok, I have purchased my 2005 STS 3weeks ago and it is a rear wheel drive and I have not ...
    Space is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V-6 Luxury Performance

STS-RWD plus Snow plus Chicago...Snow Tires

Ok,

I have purchased my 2005 STS 3weeks ago and it is a rear wheel drive and I have not owned a RWD in 12 years.

To those in Chicago or comparable climate, have you made the investment in Snow Tires or does the traction control help control the rear end?

Also-

Did you have the Snow Tire placed on your rims or did you purchase a different set?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Richbro is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: STS - RWD + Snow + Chicago (Snow Tires)

Quote Originally Posted by Space
    Ok,

I have purchased my 2005 STS 3weeks ago and it is a rear wheel drive and I have not owned a RWD in 12 years.

To those in Chicago or comparable climate, have you made the investment in Snow Tires or does the traction control help control the rear end?

Also-

Did you have the Snow Tire placed on your rims or did you purchase a different set?
    I moved to Florida!

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

RWD + snow + NY.....

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20De...addydonuts.wmv

really though.... Blizzacks (sp?) are perhaps the best snow tires you can get... I'd invest in a set of 4... mount them on steel wheels... though on a nice Caddy, I dunno if you'd like that... but it would sure be convinent. Either way, a set of 4 of those on the STS and you'll be going thru snow like nothing

I never had snow tires on any of my 3 cars... just realitvely cheap-middle priced all seasons... the Coupe got a better touring tire but wasn't used in the snow much at all... the '79... last year had bald tires.... especally the rear... and I drove thru one of the worst snow storms still... my gosh that was hell... that car isn't the ideal car to drive thru in snow by far. My Oldsmobile though, was a freakin tank, plowed thru anything and everything with GoodYear Weather Handler LS tires... unbelieveable. no ABS or anything, yet never a problem... the Coupe OTOH was traction limited, even braking (with ABS) you hit the brakes... ABS goes crazy and you can take a nap before the car would stop... I really didn't like driivng either of the Caddy's thru the snow... plus the Olds was origanally "the winter car", lol.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Richbro
    I moved to Florida!
    me too!

St. Pete eh?

Clearwater here! well, nearly Largo.... you can't be too far...

if you ever see the Coupe, or a beige '79 Sedan crusing around... probably either faster then the speed limit or laying rubber.... you'll know who it is

jgrade is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V6

Hey Space, I live in the Northern Burbs off the lake. My 06 rides like a sled on the OEM. Spun out 3 times not going fast. Check out the thread about OEM tires and snow. lots of good info about tires. I called Tire Rack and chatted with the sales guy for a few minutes about some decent sonws. I have avoided the purchase since the winter has been mild, but will most definetely replace the OEM POS. So far I have been contacted 3 times from Caddy or GM poeple asking how I like the car. I complain about the OEM rubber each time. Maybe someone in the future will not suffer like we are.

GarryW is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: STS-RWD plus Snow plus Chicago...Snow Tires

I live in the Chicago area and while I love this car on drive pavement it absolutley SUCKS in the snow. I just came back from Holland, MI last week where they get a lot of lake effect snow and I thought I was going to have someone give me a push at a stop light! My next one must have all wheel drive as driving this one in the snow is terrible. I guess we have taken for granted front wheel drive cars ability to go nicely through snow as most of us having been driving them for so long. This has to be the worst attribute of this car. Thankfully it hasn't been a bad winter here.

agwondra is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Space
    Ok,

Also-

I live in Mpls. I get the weather the day before you do!

Don't bother trying to go with the stock tires, unless you want to wind up in the ditch. I found there was just no control with them. I also find I can go better if I turn the Traction Control off if it gets slippery. It just pulses the brakes, doesn't do much to get you going, and will work against you on a hill. RWD does take a little to get used to again, but Stabilitrak should keep you out of most problems if you let it and don't step on it while it is trying to assist.

I went with 4 new snow tires on new rims. If you figure out the cost of mounting/dismounting, balancing, etc. after about 2X you have the cost of the new rims. Not to mention the possible leaks introduced by constantly handling the rims and tires.

Space is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V-6 Luxury Performance

Thumbs up Re: STS-RWD plus Snow plus Chicago...Snow Tires

Agwondra - I am considering your route.

Any advice on snow tire best for vehicle and rim type?

Where did you purchase?

Thanks

GA1019 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

my cleveland based sts is a snow nightmare....even with blizzaks. never again will i make this mistake....this is the second winter in my 05 and this car will be gone by next fall. any caddy other than a dts/deville is crazy in a snow area.

flyboy767 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): sts4/07 escalade

Get the STS4--great traction in all conditions!

corvette00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Escalade Luxury, 2000 Corvette

The V8 STS is probably one of the worst vehicles I have driven on the snow (thanks to Michelon). The Blizzaks make a big difference. Since my car is a lease, I mounted them on stock rims. Next STS will be awd

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.