Fuel - Regular /Mid-Grade or Premium? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Fuel - Regular /Mid-Grade or Premium? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; had an 01 sts and ran regular with no problems, 03 sts and ran regular with no problems as well. ...
    andrew99eldorado is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Fuel - Regular /Mid-Grade or Premium?

had an 01 sts and ran regular with no problems, 03 sts and ran regular with no problems as well. (Keep in mind these were both leased cars and were turned in around 40 thousand miles so i dont know what the long term effect would be) If the cars were bought i would have probably ran Premium.

andrew99eldorado is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

My father just leased an 06 STS with the V8 and is running regular. So far no problems but it only has 1000 miles on it, so not much to go by yet.

BarryNS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS V8 RWD 1SG+Perf Coll. + Perf Handlin pkg

Quote Originally Posted by psykiv
    I The manual says that premium is recommended on the V6 (on the V8 its required.

Not so, The manual says that premium is RECOMMENDED not required on the V8 and it says that you can use down to 87 Octane with possibly a slight decrease of acceleration.

I have used both on 350 mile trips to LA and only difference I notice is a very slight decreased mpg with the lower octane.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

If youre willing to run regular and lose the power that you paid for, you might as well just buy a Hyundai next time.

durdle is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a 2006 sts v6 luxury package. According to a cadillac salesmen I have been corresponding with (who is very knowledgeable) the sts v6 can get up to 20% better mileage with mid-grade (89 octane) gas. I am trying it out now to see if he's right. Also, he says to go out and drive the car hard for about a week, then drive very conservatively after that. The car will just sip gas and the mileage will definitely improve.

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

I also use premium in my '00 STS but not in 03 Escalade till it was reprogrammed by dealer .

StealthSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My (very large) dealer was adamant that unless I noticed knock, there is no need to use premium (in my '06, V8 STS-4) ... Therefore, I usually fill with 87 and have not noticed any problem. Power is probably reduced, but not to the degree that I notice a difference (between regular & premium) and am sure I could easily lose my license if I really tried!

SoCadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Your geographic location can also help to determine whether to use premium or not. Hotter weather can cause pre-detonation, so using premium helps to safeguard against this condition. If you are hellbent on running a lower grades of gas (and yes this is why the sensor are part of the engine, to adjust the timing accordingly) then it is good advice to run a bottle of Techron through gas tank every so often (you can usually purchase four bottle of Techron for less than ten bucks at the major discount warehouses). But quite honestly, higher grades of gasoline purchased from one of the better refineries (Chevron, Mobil, etc.) are by far better for your engine. If you really want to learn more, find the best engine builder in your area and ask them; they will tell and can show you the differences grades of fuel can have on an engine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.