OnStar Digital Upgrade - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, OnStar Digital Upgrade in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just purchased a nice, low mile 2004 DeVille. The car has OnStar, but I've been told by a dealer ...
    thermactor is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 DeVille

Re: OnStar Digital Upgrade

I just purchased a nice, low mile 2004 DeVille. The car has OnStar, but I've been told by a dealer that it's "good to go" with digital, but when I called OnStar, they said it was analog and had to be upgraded.

My question: Is there a way to find out for sure? I've heard some cars had both types (analog and digital) of equipment.

Also, what's involved in the upgrade for a car like this? Would I get to keep my mirror? How much rooting around does the dealership have to do in my dash? I really don't like the idea of anyone messing around under there - I can just imagine panels not being put back on, clips and tabs being broken, and wires not properly bundled and positioned.

Thanks very much!
    Wes

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

You would probably get better advice on the SDV forum but I hope you got an IOU from the seller. If the Onstar button doesn't work, you need the upgrade.

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

The analog/digital OnStar was installed during the 2006 model year. Earlier were analog and later are digital. You can double check by entering your VIN at the OnStar web site.

caddyfat2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG w/ HUD-ACC

Quote Originally Posted by chazglenn3 View Post
    The analog/digital OnStar was installed during the 2006 model year. Earlier were analog and later are digital. You can double check by entering your VIN at the OnStar web site.
    Thats not true, I have an 05 with digital OnStar. ( If it works it's digital, if it doesn't it's analog.) or ( The black rubber antenna is digital and the rear window mounted wire one was analog).

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

Your 2005 was upgraded to digital if it still works. It was analog when it was delivered.

thermactor is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 DeVille

Thanks for the clarification on the years of analog and digital. So basically, the dealer did not know what they were talking about...

Anyway, I will take your advice and re-post in a more fiting forum about the specifics of the upgrade.

Thanks!
    Wes

ddalder is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

This is very easy. First, try this link...

http://www.onstar.com/web/portal/popup?articleID=192330

There are instructions here (and a link) where you can enter your VIN.

I've been through one of these upgrades already and it's quite straight forward. They will replace the VCIM (Voice Communication Interface Module), or the OnStar module which is located in your trunk. They will also replace the glass mount antenna, including the RF coupler on the inside of the rear glass. There will be a few programming steps with a Tech 2 scan tool as well. There will be no need for them to take your dash apart. In your case, they will not change your mirror (although this is done with upgrades in certain GM models).

After I had mine done, I also changed the antenna (even though it was "upgraded" during the dual-mode OnStar changeover). I put a 2005 style antenna on the roof and removed the one from the rear glass entirely. The method and parts necessary to do this depends on whether you have XM radio as well.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Digital upgrades on a Seville are done by removing or accessing the electronics bay in the rear of the vehicle behind the rear seat back.
    This is done by either removing the panel in the trunk or removing the rear seat back.
    Also the antenna is replaced.
    No mirrors or any other components are affected.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.