OnStar Digital Upgrade - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, OnStar Digital Upgrade in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Right. Gotcha. I will go back to my dealer for the 3 year deal. Does this upgraded system include the ...
    fredolan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS4

Smile Re: OnStar Digital Upgrade

Right. Gotcha. I will go back to my dealer for the 3 year deal. Does this upgraded system include the mirror? I do miss the compass in the rear view mirror. Guess I could get used to having one on the navi screen and the digital display.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Re: OnStar Digital Upgrade

It depends on the car, basically the kit replaces any non-compatible hardware that you have.
    The STS requires a new mirror, but it's an identical replacement that is compatible with the digital upgrade.
    Print the form from the link above, fill out what you know and take it to your dealer. Give them a few days to get the kit.
    Let me know if they are confused and I'll help out.

James B. Hall is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Three years of onstar charges up front. I was also able to switch to minutes sharing with my Verison cell phones.

STS4TOM is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

I had the upgrade done to my 05 STS4. It cost me ~$450 and for that I got three year On-Star subscription. I did the upgrade since On-Star would not take a 2 year subscription for the analog version saying that at the end of 07 they would no longer support it.
    I will say that the phone portion of the VR was improved significantly. The rest of the VR system did not change at all. In fact, GM is right now buying my 05 back under the Lemon Law in Ca. I had complained about the VR right after I got the car and they never could get it to work properly. I am getting every payment + interest back, and my new 07 STS4 just arrived at the dealer.

flyboy767 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): sts4/07 escalade

New agreement form dated 11-17-2006. $199.00 for one year safe and sound/$399.00 for directions and connections.

Yes, now you can get one year of service for a digital upgrade but it's not transferrable nor is it refundable.

tracker59 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I just received a letter from onstar offering to upgrade to digital for $199 plus $15.00 installation fee. The $199 is for 1yr onstar service. So wait for the letter before spending 2 grand. An upgrade will be required by 2008 as the analog system will be discontinued. Upgrade must be scheduled thru and paid to the dealer.

AsAkAs is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by tracker59 View Post
    I just received a letter from onstar offering to upgrade to digital for $199 plus $15.00 installation fee. The $199 is for 1yr onstar service. So wait for the letter before spending 2 grand. An upgrade will be required by 2008 as the analog system will be discontinued. Upgrade must be scheduled thru and paid to the dealer.
    Excellent. So... next on the dealership service list...

Onstar Upgrade, A Frame Squeeking, Power Seat....

At least I can get it all done at once

Be aware that OnStar and GM are changing ordering and handling procedures this month, so if you get an upgrade you might be ready for a few bumps during the process.
    They are trying to automate this process a little bit more because with the expected upgrades it will be too much for the current system to accomodate.

Just wanted you guys to know.

ELROY is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi ewill3rd,
    Let me ask you a question. Since you are a tech at Lindsey, you may be able to help me. I have a 05 STS that I purchased new. It's fully loaded.....1SG, Sunroof, AWD, ACC, Heads up, etc. I have set the drivers settings for the heated seats to come on when I remote start. They don't. The car starts just fine, and the heat comes on great, but not the seats. What am I doing wrong?
    P.S. My brother-in-law purchased a XLR from your dealership.

Thanks,

Elroy

Elroy,

On STS the automatic settings on remote start are kind of strange.
    The car checks the ambient temps and under certain conditions the seats get no attention at all.
    I forget the specifics but I don't think it turns the heaters on until near freezing.
    If you'd like I can find the specific information for that feature and post it.
    I have had a few complaints because people think it should work one way but it actually works another.

I have lots of XLR customers, tell your Brother-in-law to keep bringing it in here and I'll take good care of him.
    I get all the XLRs unless they are just getting an oil change. If he'd like tell him to ask to meet me and I'll be more than happy to go up and say Hello.

Let me know if you want that info and I'll get it. I am pretty busy right now.

View is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '03 Plat. CTS w/ Nav

I have an 03 CTS, and would like to know that if I did the upgrade, would they take out that ugly antenna and put a new (and nicer) one on the roof(just like the 06 model)?
    Do they have to change the rear view mirror?

For an '03 CTS you would get a new "ugly antenna" that looks different than the old one and the only car that gets a new rear view mirror is the STS.
    To install a roof mounted antenna would require a great deal more work and someone would probably really mess up your roof panel in the process.
    Your kit would come with a new base and mast, instead of a smooth cylinder it has a spring looking coil up the center. It looks "different" I'll say that.

View is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '03 Plat. CTS w/ Nav

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    For an '03 CTS you would get a new "ugly antenna" that looks different than the old one and the only car that gets a new rear view mirror is the STS.
    To install a roof mounted antenna would require a great deal more work and someone would probably really mess up your roof panel in the process.
    Your kit would come with a new base and mast, instead of a smooth cylinder it has a spring looking coil up the center. It looks "different" I'll say that.
    Dang, I was really hoping that I'd get a new antenna like newer CTS' do :'(
    Thx for the information though

buff_bagwell is offline Cadillac Owners Member

this is true yes. very ture. the fcc has ordered all analog providers to terminate there machines and at there cost. analog devices are using up to much of the bandwith in the air. bandwith that can be used for more reliable air waves. ie digital stuff. with an anolag to digital upgrade you will always get a new vcim (vehicle communication interface module). most vehicles will get new cell antennas. a little few will get new mirrors and a new trim panel in the trunk to accommade for a larger box.( if your vcim is behind your rear seat). current phone number will not carry on. right now companies that use analog devices are now paying the bill to have there systems shut down or disconnected. ie onstar, cell phones, and cellular tracking systems. so if you have an old analog onstar system you may get a letter from gm telling you to bring in your car for an onstar disable at no charge. only certain vins qualify. all you need to do is blue button push and if the system sits there beeping (trying to connect) them it needs to be disabled. if it already has been dislbled remotely then it will not try to connect.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.