OnStar Digital Upgrade - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, OnStar Digital Upgrade in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I know GM is working on VR technology all the time, at least they say they are. I think VR ...
    ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Re: OnStar Digital Upgrade

I know GM is working on VR technology all the time, at least they say they are. I think VR technology overall is really complicated. As a person who's been through 49 states of this country and lived in 20 places I have heard many variants of the English language. It's amazing to me that we can even understand eachother at times. I can only imagine the task of teaching a computer to understand it as well. I am sure to the engineer(s) that designed their VR software thinks it's a masterpiece of programming. However in real world it might fall short of what they think it to be. Frustration would be the natural byproduct of this and I totally understand where all of you are coming from. My problem is that I am stuck between the General, and the General Public! I can't re-engineer what they have done, only try to make it work better for you or help you make work better for yourself. Sometimes I feel like a negotiator.
    Actually now that I read some more it looks like maybe the VCIM just passes the microphone signal right to the radio, the radio then compares the voice signal to stored voice commands that are on the nav disk. I saw a document that says something to that effect. Hmmm...
    I got to get some sleep, busy day tomorrow.

Cajonkev is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-1SG-ACC/HUD-Volant CAI-Corsa Exh-Mesh Grill-ClearBra

Thanks for the diagram and all the info ewill3rd!

transylvania is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8

It is indeed confusing talking about the two VR systems but the easiest way to separate them is to see when the VR is invoked:

1. When you press the OnStar button you are connected to the OnStar computers and they perform any VR. The microphone in the STS is merely passing the audio to the phone.

2. When you press the steering wheel VR button, you are talking only to the STS computer. The audio from the microphone in the STS is routed to the Nav system computer which performs the VR.

I am interested in the upgrade for VR system #2 above.

Quote Originally Posted by transylvania
    1. When you press the OnStar button you are connected to the OnStar computers and they perform any VR. The microphone in the STS is merely passing the audio to the phone.
    We are definetely all agreed that it is rather confusing!...

As point of clarification however when you initially press the OnStar "phone" button you are speaking to the in-vehicle VCIM module. Voice commands are only routed to the OnStar computers once the connection is made.

This much is at least oulined in the OnStar literature you receive with the vehicle and completely makes sense as they cannot decode commands if there is no connection.

By way of example:

Press the OnStar "phone" button on the rearview mirror.
    Listen for the "OnStar Ready" voice prompt.
    Say, "Virtual Advisor".
    System will reply "Connecting to Virtual Advisor"...

This command was performed by the VCIM module. Once the connection is made only then are you now directly commanding the OnStar remote system.

When pressing the Blue OnStar button of course you are automatically making the connection to a SA and no voice commanding is initially neccessary.

Fred_Mac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS 1SG

Well, I had the digital upgrade done yesterday and spent most of the day today in the car. The verdict? No noticeable difference in VR performance.

rjm
    rjm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '15 Escalade Premium Majestic Plum Metallic

Picked mine up last night after being at the dealer for over a week, and this was the main reason why they kept it so long. Guess what...still doesn't work. Before it would at least perform a function even thought it wasn't what I asked the system to do, now all it says is "pardon", or "command not recognized".

I GIVE UP!!

Fred_Mac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS 1SG

Quote Originally Posted by rjm
    Picked mine up last night after being at the dealer for over a week, and this was the main reason why they kept it so long.
    Who is your dealer. My upgrade was done in less than three hours and most of that was time spent with OnStar getting the reconfiguration done.

rjm

Quote Originally Posted by Fred_Mac
    Who is your dealer. My upgrade was done in less than three hours and most of that was time spent with OnStar getting the reconfiguration done.
    They were working on the whole VR problem, as well as quite a few other items that needed to be addressed. They didn't keep the car the whole week just for the OnStar upgrade. I had given them quite an extensive list of issues to be corrected.

But even with the OnStar upgrade, VR is still useless.

AsAkAs is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): None

Wink Re: OnStar Digital Upgrade

As an aside I'm curious if any of you have tried the systems in other cars like the Acura RL or TL I used the RL's system, it's not that great itself or Much of an improvement over the -Sts system VR as a whole has a long way to go yet

rjm

Quote Originally Posted by AsAkAs
    As an aside I'm curious if any of you have tried the systems in other cars like the Acura RL or TL I used the RL's system, it's not that great itself or Much of an improvement over the -Sts system VR as a whole has a long way to go yet

Only others I've experienced are the systems in the Lexus LS430 and BMW 7. Had no problem with the LS, but the 7 was just like my STS--"pardon" or "command not recognized" or "please repeat". Although the system in the LS doesn't have as many voice commands available.

don_mccarter is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8

My dealer called today and claims they have the STS upgrade worked out,
    including the mirror now having a compass.
    So, I ordered the upgrade and paid for 3 years, the service manager said that it takes about three weeks for the kits to arrive.
    He said that they have upgraded 3 CTS's with excellent results.
    We should see in about a month if this is an improvement.

Maximln is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS V8, 1SF, Tusc Lthr, Adptv Cruise, 18" Chrm Whls

I just got an 06 STS. Do I have to do the digital upgrade as well? Most of the voice functions work OK but the one that I am having a problem with is the bluetooth voice functions. I can usually get the system to understand the number but I sometimes have the hardest time getting it to dial. It asks me if this information is correct and I respond "DIAL" but half the time it doesn't understand. Am I doing something wrong? It appears alot of people are having problems with the voice functions. So far, this is the only one that gives me problems.

Max

No you do not need the upgarde as the 06 came with it.

Keep in mind the OnStar system uses different voice commands than the Bluetooth and you have to be exact...

Maximln is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS V8, 1SF, Tusc Lthr, Adptv Cruise, 18" Chrm Whls

Boy do I know that! The Onstar system seems to respond better than the Bluetooth system. I seem to be having trouble with the "DIAL" command. Thanks for the response. I kept thinking while I was reading these posts that I just got a new car and already I'm outdated!

Max

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

I do see 2 kit numbers now for the STS, I am sure one is with a compass and one without.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.