2005 STS 4.6L Northstar Misfire
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2005 STS 4.6L Northstar Misfire in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello guys I am having a hard time figuring out what is wrong with my STS. I have a 2005 ...
    staaanho is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 4.6L

2005 STS 4.6L Northstar Misfire

Hello guys I am having a hard time figuring out what is wrong with my STS. I have a 2005 STS 4.6L Northstar....Let me start by saying I first bought car with 89,xxx miles on it. Have done regular fluid changes and thats about it....Fast forward to now about 137,xxx miles. Driving and then all of a sudden check engine light comes on. I hook scanner up says cylinder 5 misfire...At this time I realize I have never done plugs or coil packs for this car...I then change all 8 plugs and Move the coil pack from 5 to cylinder 1. after driving for about 3 days check engine light pops back up...BUT NOW cylinder 7 misfire !! as you can see its been frustrating trying to pinpoint the actually cause for the misfire code cause now it has changed cylinders. I then change cylinder 7 coil pack with cylinder 1 (Remember this is originally Cylinder 5s pack)...Its been about a week and nothing since I noticed bolts on intake manifold were loose so I torqued those down back to spec and wonder what I should do about my misfire????

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: 2005 STS 4.6L Northstar Misfire

It sounds to me like you should check your cylinder numbering system.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

If your thinking I don't know what number cylinders I am looking at you are mistaken....http://www.justanswer.com/cadillac/7...s-4-6l-v6.html Got cylinder diagram from here[COLOR="Silver"]

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    It sounds to me like you should check your cylinder numbering system.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

I was just questioning from experience. I've spent as much time working on the wrong cylinder as anybody. My system for finding the problem cylinder is to get the engine running as bad as it will run and then spray water on the exhaust manifolds with a spray bottle looking for the cylinder with cold exhaust.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

stevenriz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 V8 1SG

computer glitch?

Aurora5000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 Blackberry 2004 CTS 3.6 Loaded

Disconnect battery for 30 minutes. Nothing to lose and no cost involved.

i was thinking this could be the problem as well...I really dont want to just dump money into things thats not the problem...next step i think is to change all the coil packs see how that runs then move on to the injectors.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenriz View Post
    computer glitch?

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Keeping to the simple stuff, you did use OEM spark plugs, right?

Yes I did...ACDelco ALL THE WAY!!
    Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    Keeping to the simple stuff, you did use OEM spark plugs, right?

Fixed it!! Bought new coil packs, dropped them in, turned her on, vrooom vrooom back to normal!!! Acdelco !!!!!!!!!

Neutrocuted is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 N* 1SF HUD ACC F55 - 2008 CTS 3.6DI Premium

Quote Originally Posted by staaanho View Post
    Fixed it!! Bought new coil packs, dropped them in, turned her on, vrooom vrooom back to normal!!! Acdelco !!!!!!!!!
    I regret to admit I bought the cheap, made in china coils off of Amazon for $25 ea. and was I ever disappointed! 3 out of 8 were DOA, and after getting replacements the car just does not idle as smooth as it did before. It's not really missing, it's just not smooth. Also, my MPG is not what it was.

Before, I seriously couldn't tell if it was running. Now I can definitely tell it's running by subtle, frequent stumbles. I just don't believe the new coils are putting out the voltage required or specified or necessary for this engine.

I also believe that there were probably short-cuts taken during manufacturing such as fewer copper windings to save money or to just make it so it barely works.

I am so disgusted. Now I need to bite the bullet and buy some AC Delco's so I can get that smoothness again.

----------

I had posted before about my engine doing what I called "soft" missing so I took it into a local shop for analysis and they found the spark plug ports were taking on oil... and lots of it. #7 was totally full, others not as much.

I replaced the valve cover and spark plug port gaskets, spark plugs, coils and did an oil and filter change. The DIC was indicating 92% but the oil was very dark, probably due to the misfires. I guess it was blowing past the rings and polluted the oil. Also, I was getting warnings of speed limited to 142 MPH and it was throwing codes for the cat on the right bank but did not ever throw a misfire code, which I thought was strange.

After my repairs, no more codes or warnings for over 2 months... thank goodness.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.