Quirks with an 08 1SG; Transmission, door unlock, very very stiff ride
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Quirks with an 08 1SG; Transmission, door unlock, very very stiff ride in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi all. Drove a 2008 1SG today and I liked it. just over 35k miles and have some questions. 1. ...
    stevenriz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS4 V8 1SG Platinum Edition

Quirks with an 08 1SG; Transmission, door unlock, very very stiff ride

Hi all. Drove a 2008 1SG today and I liked it. just over 35k miles and have some questions.
    1. My 2005 has a 5 speed and this one has a 6. I noticed it had trouble finding the correct gear. Is that a symptom of something? Bug in the programming? Anything I should shy away from?
    2. Another problem is the passenger door doesn't unlock and open with the fob in pocket. Antenna issue?
    3. All 4 wheels show corrosion. Due to buildup of brake dust I can only imagine. The dealer offered to scuff and paint all the wheels a silver color. I don't like that idea, I'd rather something from a bone yard if available.
    4. It has OEM Michelins on it and rides very hard. Even in the touring programming. I didn't notice a difference switching to sport or whatever the other setting is. My 2005 although older isn't that stiff.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: Quirks with an 08 1SG; Transmission, door unlock, very very stiff ride

Don't carry your fob in the same pocket as your cell phone. They interfere with one another.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Dino1SG is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    The transmission may have an updated calibration available but it may also be simply the fact that you don't drive the way the previous owner did. The exterior handle may need to be replaced or it may also be that the previous/current owner had/has that feature turned off in the configuration settings. I would look into a quote from a wheel repair shop that can do refinish them properly, around here there's a place that can do it for probably around $200 a rim, and there's mobile guy that can do it for even less, and come to you, although you get what you pay for. Also keep in mind that six or seven year old tires may not have the same characteristics they once had when they were new, and that may be one more expense that will come early on in the ownership.

EChas3 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

6 year old Michelins will be very hard. Have you thought about your next set? Tires do age.

Thanks for the info guys. I didn't see anything in the programming that shut off capability to unlock and open passenger door. All I found was when unlocking doors, unlock driver side or all doors simultaneously. I tried moving the FOB all around the passenger door and nothing opened. The red light came on however telling me someone is trying to open the door without a FOB. Anyhow I may pass on this particular car and keep looking around. Not sure yet.

It's the antenna (door handle). If the car is otherwise what you want, use it to start a list of IOU items for the dealer/seller. Even if warranted, I'd get an inspection by your mechanic.

Thanks for the info guys. I didn't see anything in the programming that shut off capability to unlock and open passenger door. All I found was when unlocking doors, unlock driver side or all doors simultaneously. I tried moving the FOB all around the passenger door and nothing opened. The red light came on however telling me someone is trying to open the door without a FOB. Anyhow I may pass on this particular car and keep looking around. Not sure yet.

Aurora5000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 Blackberry 2004 CTS 3.6 Loaded

Also riding rough could be as simple as overinflated tires. I run 30-32 PSI. I also agree with Echas3 on tires.

I double posted sorry...

Anyway I also noticed that the steering has a lot less road feel if you will. It was so easy to turn the wheel like there wasn't any sporty feeling in the steering. Maybe another symptom of over inflated tires? My 2005 had just the right amount of push back when turning the wheel. My thoughts anyway...

It must not have NV7 - PREMIUM ZF STEERING GEAR. Are you sure it's really a 1SG?

It really doesn't sound all that well cared for. Here are a couple of good questions to ask before buying any used car, even if in good mechanical condition or warranted:

Is the finish in good condition and a color you like?
    Is the car clean (especially those spots that most people skip: under the hood, battery cover, B-pillar with doors open, sunroof well, trunk surround & spare well)?

A car that was cherished by its previous owner will usually respond to your investment(s) in it.

Ah I thought it was a 1SG simply because of its features. HUD, ACC, Blind Spot, Lane Departure. With all those options, would they leave off the NV7? Can we tell by the VIN somehow? The carpets needed shampooing but it is in decent shape. I want the 08 or an 09 and they are becoming harder and harder to come by unfortunately.

Anyway, great questions to ask before any purchase, agreed!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.