Working in my car by myself
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dkozloski
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Working in my car by myself in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I recently got the service manual from gm for my at and I was wondering what's the best digital torque ...
    Mickjagger5 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS V8 AWD 1SG

Working in my car by myself

I recently got the service manual from gm for my at and I was wondering what's the best digital torque wrench to use on jobs that require torquing? I look at the acdelco 1/2 & 3/8 digital torque wrench as well as the snap on and browns line any input

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

EChas3 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: Working in my car by myself

I've had my current torque wrench for about five years and used it maybe a dozen times (significant jobs). For that reason, I didn't go for a premium brand like SnapOn. I wanted a step above budget and didn't need digital, either.

We have a regional chain called Fleet Farm that provides good quality and service but for a lot lower price. They are rarely the price leader, but they usually sell good quality tools, farm implements & supplies, household stuff, lumber & hardware. I got a good torque wrench with case, etc. for about $30. It had a five year warranty and has never been out of calibration. (They will check such tools for free.)

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    I've had my torque wrench for 20 plus years and other than internal engine work it seldom sees the light of day... Buy a analog version from craftsman or the like and save your money for other tools.

Subsailor613 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS RWD NAV F55 N*1SF

I have the 3/8, and 1/4 in torque wrenches, and only used it twice,
    once for the intake manifold, of which I have since used thred locker,
    and hopefully will NEVER need torquing again, AND, on my wheels,
    used the 1/4 incher for the manifold, and the 3/8 for the wheel lugs.

Happy Motoring

Neutrocuted is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 N* 1SF HUD ACC F55 - 2008 CTS 3.6DI Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Subsailor613 View Post
    ...of which I have since used thred locker

Happy Motoring
    Blue or red?

I bought a 1/4" drive in./lb. Husky from Home Deep Blow for my manifold and found I needed it again to torque the valve covers down to the same spec. Got a 1/2" drive digi-click Craftsman 75001 for the bigger stuff.

Bought the 1/2" wrench to torque the spindle nuts to 118 ft/lb after replacing the front bearing hubs on my STS4. 118 is too tight in my opinion because they started making a weird noise from the jump and now they're getting extra noisy.

Does anyone know what is a good ft/lb value is for those spindle nuts? I have to re-do them next weekend and everywhere I've checked it says 118 ft/lb but, as I said above, I think that's too tight.

I paid $99 for the 75001 on sale and recently found it for $71... EVERY(friggin')WHERE (needless to say I'm slightly pissed!). STS wheel lugs torque to 100 ft/lb but the '08 CTS torques to 140ft/lb which is why I make the purchase.

So, I think if you happen to like quality tools and all of the rest of your tools are expensive, fine tools, by all means buy the nice stuff... spare no expense. But if you are a casual diy repairman it will be a rare occasion when they will be called upon. I spent many years wrenching on large web printing presses and I have (2) 5ft tall tool boxes and countless small "carry-around" tool boxes with a variety of mish-moshed tools that worked fine.

I never saw the value in those expensive, highly chromed tools except that they were very pretty​ and I knew they were durable. I did learn that the cheap-o crap made in Asia got un-pretty (chrome pealing off) and broke really fast when you beat on them with a BFH... which was often to get the repairs at hand done so I invested in unconditional return/exchange tools.

CASE IN POINT:
    I recently bought an electric Ryobi 1/2" drive impact and found it did not meet my expectations (it wouldn't even take off lug nuts, which was high on my list of capabilities), and foreseeing future suspension work happening I knew I needed more power. I opted for the battery powered Milwaukee M18 2763-22 Dual Mode "nut-buster" killer. Sure, it's serious over-kill but sometimes ya jes gotta say WTF!

So... in reply, if you digg that kind of stuff and want the best even though you may not need it, screw it and make yourself happy with the good stuff. But, as previously mentioned, you'll be able to get the job done without the heavy expense.

samson_420 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS-4

SnapOn digitals on all of my torque wrenches

Just makes life easier

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

My Dad used to say, when it comes to tools, if you always buy second best never in your entire lifetime will you ever own a tool worth a sh!t.
    samson_420 likes this.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

EChas3 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

While one may never regret buying quality tools, the best often costs much more. I always consider how much I plan to use a tool, because that is an important factor. The tools I use a lot, I seek out a high-quality tool with the balance and feel that I like. High quality power tools are worthwhile if used a lot; they hold up better. But I'm not going to spend a lot on something I rarely use or is the (step-saver) spare.

Step-saver spare - That's the little upstairs toolbox that saves all those trips down & back for a screwdriver (or whatever.)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.