Cant get rear rotors off!! 2005 sts awd - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Cant get rear rotors off!! 2005 sts awd in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS For future reference WD-40 is NOT a penetrant its a lubricant. It is never a substitute ...
    C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Re: Cant get rear rotors off!! 2005 sts awd

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    For future reference WD-40 is NOT a penetrant its a lubricant. It is never a substitute for PB Blaster.
    Well, it is (also a penetrant); may not be primarily a penetrant (though it is listed on the can), its original purpose was as a water displacement solution, but will act as other remedies as well. It is a thin (viscosity) petroleum distillate and will creep (by capillary action) into tiny spaces.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    It's essentially useless as a penetrant, technicalities don't help get stuck parts off.

WD-40 - Water Displacer, 40th formulation.

BaTu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 STS4

WD40 is the "Listerine" of the toolbox. It doesn't do much of anything, certainly not Any Kind of Penetrate!

It actually works best as a solvent. If you have a stuck band aid, or need to remove adhesive tape glue left on fur (my horse vet showed me this) it works pretty well. I think it's pretty good at cleaning lock cylinders too. Sprayed onto those springs & pins locksmiths recommend it. No oil, little penetration, it's the "cure" for not much of anything....

There was a Very Interesting article in a Machinist Magazine a while back where they tested the penetration property of a bunch of stuff (I don't think they even considered WD) and the results were surprising. BP did OK, Kroil did better, but what "Blew Away" EVERYTHING, nothing came close, to,,,,, a Homemade mix of 50-50% ATF & Acetone!

Lifer is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS 1SG, 2001 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    It's essentially useless as a penetrant, technicalities don't help get stuck parts off.

WD-40 - Water Displacer, 40th formulation.
    WD-40 is fish oil in a can.

daddy_o is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 STS 3.6 AWD 1SB Black Cherry

I think the OP didn't say if it was the front or rear, but the E-brake mechanism could be the culprit.
    Another way is to emory/file the rust off the hub section.
    Also, when you do get the rears off, if you choose to resurface, use a large half-round file and take the ridge line off the inside diameter, waste a can of brake cleaner on all the parts, and lube with lithium all the moving parts. Wipe the pad faces and the inside drum with more cleaner before assembly. Don't miss spraying up inside the the cable.

Back in the 70's I owned a couple of Dodges and an old Studabaker, I used up plenty of cans of ol' WD-40 on the coils and wires just to get it started in the morning dew. Its not a lube, its a water displacer.

" There was a Very Interesting article in a Machinist Magazine a while back where they tested the penetration property of a bunch of stuff (I don't think they even considered WD) and the results were surprising. BP did OK, Kroil did better, but what "Blew Away" EVERYTHING, nothing came close, to,,,,, a Homemade mix of 50-50% ATF & Acetone! "

Excellent post BaTu, I have always told others that if you have patience, hydraulic oil will find its way into anything. The Acetone will help thin it and quicken its search.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Lifer is technically correct. Whale Oil, Water Displacement Formula 40; WD-40.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.