What to do about Shocks/Struts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cdezey
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, What to do about Shocks/Struts in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just bought my 2005 STS a week ago and I found out after I bought it that the previous ...
    91RS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

What to do about Shocks/Struts

I just bought my 2005 STS a week ago and I found out after I bought it that the previous owner replaced the Magnaride shocks/struts with passive ones from Suncore Industries. I really wanted to have the Magnaride and that's really the only thing I'm disappointed about with the car, everything else is in really good shape. I realize that if the car still had the factory shocks/struts on it they'd probably be leaking and needing to be replaced at 130k miles. However, my problem is I will need to replace all 4 connectors for the shocks because whoever replaced the struts cut them all off and installed the resistors to trick the system and I don't know if they did anything else. I don't know what they did to disable the air suspension, the compressor is still there but I don't know if it works. My other problem is I don't know if the Suncore shocks are supposed to have the damping of the Luxury ride suspension or the Sport suspension. If I spend all this money to put Magnaride back on and it rides the same, I will be extremely unhappy. It rides decent now but I would like it firmer, I would leave it in Sport mode at all times. I haven't driven enough of these cars to really feel the difference between the different suspensions.

I also thought I saw a thread in my searching that mentioned using the STS-V shocks but now I can't find it again. I would imagine those would be firmer but I don't know if they'd work right with the "regular" springs in mine since I would imagine the ride height is lower on the V? And by "work right" I mean the taller springs on my car would put the shocks out of their optimal operating range. I also saw somewhere that the shocks for my car only fit 2005-2006 so I don't know if that means the later cars have a different physical geometry and the later shocks won't work or if someone internal in the shocks were changed after 06 resulting in a different part number.

Any insight anyone has would be great. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

amunderdog is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Re: What to do about Shocks/Struts

Wonder if you could find the suspension parts at a wrecking yard?
    Might be a low cost way to try and restore the suspension to stock.

I have thought about that but I would have no idea what kind of shape they would be in. I will probably do more hunting and maybe I could find some low mile ones. I'm going to try and go to a you pull it yard today or tomorrow that has a few escalades and srx's to see if I can get the connectors for the shocks.

cdezey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Try car-part.com they have some yards with new take off parts, I bought some stuff from Spalding auto parts all new from untitled vehicles.

----------

Also try shram auto parts in Michigan they have almost everything.
    Neutrocuted likes this.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I'm finding more frequently that local auto-recyclers belong to networks that can be another resource.

I struck out at the junk yard today, the two SRX's they had both had base suspension. There was one 2007 Tahoe that would have had the correct connectors but whoever pulled the engine on it took the connectors with the engine harness. There were a bunch of 03-06 SUVs with Autoride but the older connector didn't look like it would work right. I may call LKQ or somewhere tomorrow and see if they have any low mileage parts but I'm not really sure I'd want to spend money on used shocks. I also figured I'd call the guy at Rippy Cadillac since a lot of people said he had the best prices. I also thought about maybe just putting the STS-V sway-bars on it and just drive it. Maybe do some more down the road. I was also doing some research and it looks like most of the suspension parts are the same from the regular STS to the STS-V so I don't see any reason I couldn't put the V shocks and struts on but I'd probably want to do the springs to match.

I found this in an article on the STS-V from Road & Track:

"The V's suspension layout is basic STS, with double A-arms in front and a self-leveling multilink rear. Front and rear springs, however, are 15 percent stiffer than stock, and the hollow anti-roll bars have grown to 36 mm in front (from 33) and 24 mm rear (from 19). The valving of the Sachs monotube dampers is commensurately firmer, and the V rides 0.4 in. lower in front than a stock STS while retaining the same rear ride height. The bushings of the rear trailing links are stiffer, to better control the heavier mass and inertia of the V's bigger tires and wheels. "

REALTORBENJAMIN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS V8 RWD
    I just replaced my rears with strutmasters passive kit.

The rear shocks seem to be fine, not leaking air. I think my compressor was dead so it was bouncy and not firm at all.

If you want you can have them. Just coordinate shipping etc.

I figured I'd update this to help anyone else interested in doing the V suspension. I bought used shocks, struts, springs, and sway-bars from a 2006 STS-V. It will work on the regular car, however; the strut bracket has to be changed. The V strut tower is taller because of the brace which makes the strut brackets thicker. I put them on and it actually raised the car in the front a good bit! I swapped out the V mounts for me stock mounts and it brought it back down. I only got to drive the car for a day and a half because someone hit me and totaled the car on my way to work but I was very happy with how it handled. The Suncore shocks ride VERY soft and are not what this car is supposed to be so if you want to disable the Magnaride, I would highly recommend going with the V suspension as a cheaper alternative to keep the ride an STS is supposed to have.

If anyone wants to buy the STS-V shocks, struts, springs, and a front sway-bar; let me know. I have around $400 in the parts so I'd like to get around that back. I swapped the suspension back out of my 05 before it went to the big junk yard in the sky. It was not damaged at all, the car was hit dead in the front. The STS-V parts have 88k miles on them and have no signs of leakage. I ended up with 2 front sway-bars due to a labeling error from one of the junk yards so I still have one sway-bar even though I put the V sways on my new STS.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Wow sorry about your loss man. Thoughts on what you're going to replace it with?

I had decided I wanted to get a nicer car (more options, newer, less miles) but when I decided to spend a little more than the insurance gave me, that put the price range into higher mileage 04-05 CTS-V territory. So I went back and forth since I like things about both cars but decided on the STS-V in the end because the CTS-V I liked the most sold to someone else (my offer wasn't enough) and the STS is just overall a higher quality car (even though they're on the same chassis!). I would have really loved the LS6 over the Northstar, but hopefully this engine will be good to me. I ended up finding a 2007 STS with 1SG, PCZ (this sold the car, I love big brakes), HUD, and adaptive cruise.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I don't believe the two cars were actually built on the same chassis and the STS was a bit bigger. I too, appreciate HUD & ACC.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The STS, and first/second gen CTS are all Sigma platform vehicles.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Yep. First gen srx too.

PontiacV8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS, Sold: 1997 Cadillac Seville STS (EXP)

...well...2nd Gen CTS got the "Sigma II" platform...it is larger and wider than its predecessor...

...but yes...STS, 1st Gen SRX and 1st Gen CTS are based on the "same" (first) Sigma platform...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.