Possibly making the switch from a 98 Catera to an 05 sts.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Possibly making the switch from a 98 Catera to an 05 sts. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello all, as title says I have my eye on a 05 STS with 205 000kms listed in the ad ...
    98Catera_2010 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Catera

Possibly making the switch from a 98 Catera to an 05 sts.

Hello all, as title says I have my eye on a 05 STS with 205 000kms listed in the ad with the 3.6L and also a 05 sts with the north☆ with 130 000kms listed in that ad. I have only got a email back from the first one so far but still hoping the second one does also. Haven't arranged to see the 3.6l because I really want the north☆ with hopes of avoiding any oil troubles that come with the v6's. Well just thought id say hey to all and hope ill be part of the family of sts owners soon. Heres the ads to look if anyone wants.
    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/m...ick/1009216208

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/w...dan/1000409227
    Any input is more than appreciated. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4

Re: Possibly making the switch from a 98 Catera to an 05 sts.

Best advice unless you have a full history of oil change intervals, AVOID the 3.6....
    curtc and Ludacrisvp like this.

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 128k

And you're doing yourself a GIANT favor getting out of that thing Cadillac called a Catera.
    REALTORBENJAMIN likes this.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

For $500 more that V8 is much much better than the V6... the V8 has the 15 speaker sound system and Nav, the other is base model 8 speaker system and no Nav and has 70k kms more.
    The only thing the V6 has going for it is the mesh grille on it and what appears to be non-stock exhaust.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Quote Originally Posted by curtc

And you're doing yourself a GIANT favor getting out of that thing Cadillac called a Catera.
    Not if he buys a 3.6 lol. It's like dumping one headache for another.

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 128k

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    Not if he buys a 3.6 lol. It's like dumping one headache for another.
    For sure, get the V8 OP, you won't regret it.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Ya I'm liking the fact the Red line Sts has the 15 speaker Bose. Still trying to get in touch with the seller fingers crossed.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

My wife told me to consider a car like hers and look what happened. I still love my 1SG & would strongly recommend you drive a few differently equipped STS before making the decision. They do vary a lot based on trim level.

In Canada, a RWD will be a lot more fun to drive in Winter on snow tires unless you can afford to stay where the you are when snow falls.

STSJr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    The N* is the way to go. Reliability is there and horsepower when you want it. Good luck!

STSV8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Northstar all the way! I would recommend that you get a pre purchase inspection before you but it because they may find some issues that you don't want to deal with. I almost bought a 05 STS 4 V8 locally that looked and drove great and it turned out that it had a lot of issues and it had been repainted. I'm thankful that I didn't buy it. The 200$ that I lost by getting it inspected was well worth it.
    REALTORBENJAMIN likes this.

turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

As I recall the Catera was the best driving Cadillac...by a long shot at the time
    Decent steering, good brakes and felt fairly well "screwed" together

reliability was craptastic...but I thought they improved that in later years

Warren

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

If those are your only two options then I would definitely choose the Northstar. However, I personally would not look at anything older than a 2008. There are some known problems with the 2005-07 such as heated steering wheels that quit prematurely, lighting in steering wheel controls, possibility of needing a navigation system update and more. Some of these parts are now increasingly difficult to acquire. Some will say that none of these are a big deal and they may not be to you either. I like my car to work... all of it. I also prefer the styling changes that came in 2008. Just some thoughts to consider if a newer car is in your price range.

turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

Quote Originally Posted by ddalder View Post
    If those are your only two options then I would definitely choose the Northstar. However, I personally would not look at anything older than a 2008. There are some known problems with the 2005-07 such as heated steering wheels that quit prematurely, lighting in steering wheel controls, possibility of needing a navigation system update and more. Some of these parts are now increasingly difficult to acquire. Some will say that none of these are a big deal and they may not be to you either. I like my car to work... all of it. I also prefer the styling changes that came in 2008. Just some thoughts to consider if a newer car is in your price range.
    were there changes/improvements in the Nav and voice activation in later years?

I can definitely understand the transmission update of later years....that should have been there in 05..IMO

Warren

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Quote Originally Posted by turnne View Post
    were there changes/improvements in the Nav and voice activation in later years?

I can definitely understand the transmission update of later years....that should have been there in 05..IMO

Warren
    I don't believe there were any improvements made to the voice recognition (at least none I've heard about). I don't have a lot of problems with mine though. "Windows down" is the one command for me that rarely seems to work.

Definitely not going to even consider the v6 anymore, north ☆ only. I dont like the 08 styling changes personally. Iv located another red line STS this one is definitely a v8, not the interior color im looking for but we'll see might like the beige when I see it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.