TPMS computerized reset machine
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, TPMS computerized reset machine in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The right rear TP sensor went out again. All four were replaced about a year ago at my local tire ...
    Loren is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 STS

TPMS computerized reset machine

The right rear TP sensor went out again. All four were replaced about a year ago at my local tire shop when I bought new tires. The wife took it to the dealer today to see if they could reset it. No go, it would'nt reset. The service mgr said they have a computerized machine that MAY be able to reset it, only $48, no guarentee. If that doesn't work they can put in a new one for only $150, total $198. Such a deal, the sensor is only $60 at most sellers for an OEM Delco unit. Has anyone heard of this 'computerized machine'? I know what the owner's manual says about setting them but I'm thinking my "Authorized Cadillac Dealer" is trying to rip off my wife since she doesn't know any better. Same dealer that tried to get me to do a tranny flush on my Yukon awhile back. I smell a rat here. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks, Loren

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dannyquest is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS 99,000 miles

Re: TPMS computerized reset machine

Loren, I smell a big rat. They only want to nibble on you credit card. Two years ago Discount Tire replaced one for me. $60. installed. Danny
    Neutrocuted likes this.

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

There are different TPMS sensors and different costs associated with each. It just depends on what you purchase. I will only use the original metal stem version. These are much more expensive than some of the aftermarket and/or rubber stem sensors. Either will work fine, it just depends on what you want. I'm sticky about using original parts and having all parts match (where applicable). That isn't to say that my way is right versus any other, just my preference. There was a difference of about $70 between the two sensors that my GM parts department quoted.

As for the "computerized machine", more details are necessary. There is a TPMS sensor reset tool made by Orange Electronics that many of the advisors use in the GM service drive through lanes. There is also another version that has significantly enhanced capability which is used by technicians in the service department. I suspect this may be what they are referring to. Likely the extra charge will be due to a service technician performing the work as a service order item. This really doesn't surprise me.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

The TPMS analyzer is a Kent-Moore J-46079. It will reset the sensors and analyze both the sensors and the receiver in the car.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Neutrocuted is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 N* 1SF HUD ACC F55 - 2008 CTS 3.6DI Premium

Discount Tire replaced my sensors 3 years ago with metal stem versions and they have worked perfectly until the past week when one sensor has become intermittent. I paid $50 ea. for them installed. But this was while I was buying a whole set of staggered Conti DWS's.

Just bought a new set of DWS's a month ago and they charged me $9.25 ea. to rebuild the sensor which only includes a new stem valve, cap, cover and gasket. I don't believe the batteries are replaceable it these things and I don't know what the life expectancy of a sensor is.

When I first bought the new sensors and tires I told my friend who was the parts and service director at a large GM franchise how much I paid. He told me that they cost them almost $150 but that they had to buy them from GM so that's why they charged $150 for them. But that says nothing about their mark up.

But I take everything he says with a grain of salt because he is so indoctrinated with "dealer speak". Imagine talking to a service writer, multiplied by 10! We would often get into heated discussions about service department issues.

ddgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

I had our local Cadillac dealer replace my LF TPMS about 3 years ago, while I was in for an oil change. They said the sensor was $46 and $20 to install.
    Someone had put fancy caps on the tire stems and I twisted one off so easily it wasn't funny. I just took the wheel to a tire shop and had them put in an ordinary stem as a quick fix. I cut the rest off very carefully with a dremel and replaced with plastic ones. I was surprised at the price of the TPMS, especially from a dealer. I may have to go again as my RR TPMS is acting up.

Ludacrisvp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

The stock / OEM caps for the STS and SRX were metal caps I believe made of nickel ... are those the 'fancy caps' you are mentioning?
    The plastic ones don't typically fit very well on the metal TPMS stems in my experience. We had to chase down our old metal ones at a tire shop who "did my parents a favor" by swapping out the stock metal caps with some spare plastic ones that were laying around ... they didn't fit well at all.

The original stems are aluminum. The OEM valve caps are aluminum as well. If you use stainless caps the electrolysis created forces the aluminum stems to sacrifice to the caps and they will seize. The best alternative is plastic or metal caps lined with plastic.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Koz is right. Al on Al won't corrode. I think the OEM sensor batteries last about as long as the seals; my car was built in 2005 and I've had to replace 2 so far. One got intermittent and the other developed a slow leak. My wife's car was built in 2006 and one got weak last Winter.

Continental makes the Redi-Sensor SE10001HP ones I get from Amazon for a bit more than $30. They work great. So far, I've just changed them as needed when having the tires rotated. I use a TPMS tool and do the sync procedure myself so I don't have to mess-around with the tire pressures like it says in the owners manual.

ddgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

The metal caps were either nickel or stainless, they weren't aluminum, definitely not OEM. Like Koz says, the stems are aluminum, that's why it twisted off so easily.
    The plastic caps that I got seem to fit well.

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

My '06 had aluminum caps (bought CPO but thought them to be OEM), and checking replacements on Rockauto appear to be the same as I had on my STS (comparing the A/C Delco TPMS) so I'm going to say they came from the factory aluminum. Now, on the other hand, my '11 came with plastic caps.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...829&cc=1432041

mjcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 1SG STS4, 05 V6 SRX4 (retired 03 DeVille)

Not sure about the initial learning procedure but the regular RE-learning procedure for pre 07+ cars with older fob (someone can confirm for 07+ fobs) and other GM cars can be done with a good magnet, if i remember this correctly you press both lock and unlock on your fob then you'll hear a chirp that means the car TPMS is in learning mode now, then you'll put the magnet next to your TPMS and you'll hear another chirp and you move to the next wheel, and it was something like this FL > FR > RR > RL. so you really dont need to waste all that money unless there is another procedure for new TPMS.

Quote Originally Posted by mjcaddy View Post
    Not sure about the initial learning procedure but the regular RE-learning procedure for pre 07+ cars with older fob (someone can confirm for 07+ fobs) and other GM cars can be done with a good magnet, if i remember this correctly you press both lock and unlock on your fob then you'll hear a chirp that means the car TPMS is in learning mode now, then you'll put the magnet next to your TPMS and you'll hear another chirp and you move to the next wheel, and it was something like this FL > FR > RR > RL. so you really dont need to waste all that money unless there is another procedure for new TPMS.
    The magnet deal works with older cars. It doesn't work with my '06 1SF. It requires the air pressure method or a K-M J-46079.

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

The J-46079 is not the only option. I purchased a different tool, coincidentally directly from Kent Moore. It is the same product used by the service advisors in the drive-thru bays of one of my local Cadillac dealerships. Their parts department also sells them over the counter. I've seen them on eBay (at widely varying prices). It works just fine with the STS and most other GM vehicles. EL-50448 is the Kent Moore number for this item.

I notice it doesn't have the ability to read out tire pressures , sensor serial numbers, signal strengths, battery state, or analyze the vehicle side of the system.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.