Where to get a #2 key fob that actually works for an 09 STS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Where to get a #2 key fob that actually works for an 09 STS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Is there anywhere to get a #2 key fob besides the $200 at the dealer and yes I tried ordering ...
    cboone09 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS

Where to get a #2 key fob that actually works for an 09 STS

Is there anywhere to get a #2 key fob besides the $200 at the dealer and yes I tried ordering one off of eBay and ended up losing out on about $50 for the fob itself and $60 labor @ the dealer just for them to tell me it can't be programmed to my car! Anyone know of a cheaper reliable source?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Maybe buy the RIGHT fob... They are not all the same.

I was pretty sure it was the right fob it said it works for my year sts dts and srx in the description

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    I read it on the internet so it must be right... :rollseyes: That statement right there proves its wrong. The STS fob does not work for an srx. STS fob is all its on 05-07 and 08-11 was shared with cts with passive entry. So again buy the right key fob and it will work.
    MoistCabbage likes this.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: Where to get a #2 key fob that actually works for an 09 STS

There are 4 part numbers that I know work for the 2005-7 Cadillac STS built for the US market. I have three of them paired with my 2006. The first two came with both my wife's & my car, but I did have one or two replaced under warranty before the dealer properly diagnosed some issue I was having with the trunk receiver. I believe these fobs work with later STS and Canadian export models but YMMV. Other members may be able to provide more details.

I've played around with fobs and their programming extensively but still just learned something new... Even old hands may want to skip to the end of this post to make sure your STS isn't left unlocked. (Yes, this is a teaser!)

Old-style Fob #1

Fob 1.jpg

GM/S 15212383
    FCC ID M3N65981403
    IC 267F-65981403

Old-style Fob #2:

GM/S 15212382
    All the rest is the same; the only difference is the '2' embossed in the plastic.

New-style Fob #2 w' inbuilt mechanical key (implemented during the 2007 model year):

Fob 2.jpg

GM/S 25854936
    FCC ID M3N5WY7777A
    IC 267F-5WY7777A

OK, for anybody that regularly carries a Fob matched as #3 or #4, have you noticed that after you use it to access your STS, the car no longer automatically locks the doors the way it would if set as many folks would normally set the preferences of Driver 1 & 2? Therein lies the clue as well! I noticed the other day that after using the Fob I have matched as #3 to get into the car, it no longer locks all doors 8 seconds after the last door is shut.

It stands to reason; that Driver Preference is no longer in control. It does seem a bit odd, though. I would have expected the last such preference to persist in many such cases. Maybe this is a product of the Nav Firmware update. I know the 'improvement' to the Driver Exit Preference was considered negative progress by some members.

Okay I got that newer styled #2 fob maybe I need one that's described as just being exclusive for the STS and not for multiple other Cadillacs. And thanks for the part number I will match that too

The part number is very hard to read, at least for me! It's only visible after removing the inbuilt mechanical key (press the release that is a plastic tab near the metal loop). The exposed end has those details provided above embossed in a teeny-tiny font.

rnkath08 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 v8

my car only came with 1 fob, I got another on ebay, and that fob will start the car if in the compartment in the console, but the car won't see it to open doors, pop trunk, etc

mjcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 1SG STS4, 05 V6 SRX4 (retired 03 DeVille)

Quote Originally Posted by rnkath08 View Post
    my car only came with 1 fob, I got another on ebay, and that fob will start the car if in the compartment in the console, but the car won't see it to open doors, pop trunk, etc
    thats most likely to be a battery issue, did you try to change that fob battery and see if its works?

ddgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

Quote Originally Posted by rnkath08 View Post
    Did you program it to your car?

I thought I did, maybe Id better retry again before I go looking for another. It wouldn't start it at all if the program at least didn't partially take right? and yes, changed the battery first to be sure

Remember, only fobs matched as Driver 1 & Driver 2 will save/recall preferences, remote start your car or even automatically lock it when you leave (if set in preferences). The only way to ensure fobs are so matched is to begin the matching procedure with ALL fobs that have EVER been matched to the car are kept out of range (30+ feet) until called for by the DIC in the procedure.

Thanks EChas.....going to redo it this afternoon!

Pastor Lou is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS4

Did you find one yet?

Not yet but I will be ordering one soon I'll definitely give feedback

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.