Acceleration hesitation 07 STS 4 V8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dkozloski
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Acceleration hesitation 07 STS 4 V8 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi all- how bad is your downshift delay? When I am going along at a constant speed and then need ...
    Alden's Daddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS4 V8 1SG

Acceleration hesitation 07 STS 4 V8

Hi all- how bad is your downshift delay? When I am going along at a constant speed and then need to accelerate, it feels almost like the car shuts off for a second, then downshifts and accelerates. Anybody ever experience this? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: Acceleration hesitation 07 STS 4 V8

My wife's RWD has the 6-speed and the downshift seems slower but the gearing is so different that the comparison isn't a fair one. At 2,000 RPM, I'm going 62 MPH & her car is cruising at 80!

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Alden's Daddy View Post
    Hi all- how bad is your downshift delay? When I am going along at a constant speed and then need to accelerate, it feels almost like the car shuts off for a second, then downshifts and accelerates. Anybody ever experience this? Thanks.
    It depends on your speed at the time you nail it. You're feeling the TCM sychronizing internal gear speeds. It's the same as if you were driving a manual trans, shifted to neutral, blipped the throttle to synchronize the gears, and then completed the downshift.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

chrisgotgigs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I just purchased an 07 STS 4. I have experienced the same problem. I just got the car so I thought I must have had it in the wrong mode (touring vs normal) and I don't know how to switch modes. I need to get this checked while I still have a dealers warranty, especially if it's not the mode. I will let you know if I find a solution

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

There are 5 driving modes if you have Magnetic Ride Control, or 3 if you don't have MRC (you might argue that there are 6 and 4 if you have disabled TC and Stability Control).
    (2 for suspension and 3 for transmission)
    Touring or Performance are the options on the NAV screen for MRC.
    Drive or Sport Drive or Manual shift mode for the transmission.

The DIC will show D or sD or M1-6 depending on transmission mode, you need to shift the gear selector lever to the right to enter sD and up/down to enter manual mode.
    The NAV will show Touring or Performance depending on your suspension setting.

To me it seems that the hesitation is due to this having an electronic throttle / gas pedal instead of having an actual cable connected between the pedal and the engine. There are also some 'nannies' that are in place that try to protect the drivetrain from damage when you enter WOT.

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

Hesitation is normal with "drive by wire"/ Mine does it also.

Basically you just have to learn the lag and basically punch it about 0.5 seconds before you would have normally done so when needing to pass.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Not sure what car you're coming from but if you're coming from an older car that's not set up as aggressively or doesn't have as many forward gears, when you nail it, it'll go down one gear and take off, whereas when you pin it on some newer cars, it may determine the power you're asking for requires a downshift 2-3 gears down. This takes an extra second. It can be irritating but you'll get used to it.

coming from 02 Deville DTS w/ 4spd N* and 01 monte carlo ss w/ 3.8 V6 w/ 4spd
    Both happen to be cable driven and have 2 less gears than what the STS has.
    The SRXs my parents have don't seem to have as much lag as the STS does but they are 5spd though .. not sure if they are drive by wire though.

Aurora5000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 Blackberry 2004 CTS 3.6 Loaded

Sure miss the powerglide transmission...

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora5000 View Post
    Sure miss the powerglide transmission...
    You mean old peanut butter drive like a Buick Dynaflow. I prefer the old four speed Hydramatic with a fluid coupling rather than a torque convertor. With the iron case and steel fluid coupling they were bullet proof.
    kcaughron likes this.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

More seriously, a dirty throttle body can lead to a jerk when starting. Long use while dirty can wear a groove that will cause trouble that cleaning can't correct; replace the TB. Less frequently, a worn or damaged throttle pedal/position sensor can lead to similar issues as can issues with the wiring harness near the connection to the throttle body (as happened with my 2006 and those of a few other members).

-Added-

At speed in my wife's RWD, we coast, almost idling. A bad throttle, wiring harness issue or sticky/worn TB could be causing issues.

For STS models with MRC, the setting (Touring or Performance) is on the first Config screen on Nav-equipped models (a pre-req?) after 2007 OR those with the firmware upgrade. For older ones w/o the upgrade, it's buried on the Personal Information Settings where Driver settings are stored. (The firmware upgrade is well worth getting to use the latest Nav disks and various improvements but most dealers need guidance.)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.