Cadillac Owners Forum banner

What's the best gas to use in my v8 and where to get it

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Submariner409 
#1 ·
Ok so I've seen a couple threads about gas what type to use and etc. my question is is Mobile 1 gas good enough to use compared to shell which would you chooose

#3 ·
Hi Mick,

Once you find a Top Tier supplier convenient to you, don't be too afraid to try half a tank or more of the lower grades of gas. You may be able to save a lot of money with absolutely no ill effects. If you do notice a difference, it will usually be the ECM adjusting mix & ignition to prevent knock and in the short run won't hurt anything. Just go back to the grade you actually need and or top-off with Premium at your next opportunity.

There are currently over a hundred grades of gas sold in the US. Some variants make sense; Miami, Maine, Denver & Rapid City SD should have different gas for altitude & climate. OK, that accounts for a couple dozen! If the gas near you is one of the better blends to start with, the N* may run just fine on 87 or 89. Some members only burn the highest they can find. Some of them are probably wasting some money.

93 Octane gas has more anti-knock additives than 89 or 87, but it doesn't contain more energy. Could it hurt anything? I'd guess only in my pocket, just before payday.

This post has been deleted
#9 ·
FWIW, there is no such thing as "Sunoco gas", or "Shell gas", or Mobile gas"..... The same truck delivers the same gas from the same refinery, to several stations in the same day. The Sunoco you go to is selling the same fuel as the mobile on the next corner, and the "Jimbobs gas mart" on the corner. Beyond that, where each station buys their fuel can change as often as monthly, depending on oil prices, corporate contracts.....

And nothing is "suffering" or getting damaged in ANY way, shape, or form from using 87 octane in a (NA) Northstar. "Premium" fuel is a very misleading term.

#11 ·
My dad works for Klemm Tank Lines, he's a tanker truck driver and delivers gasoline. He told me the fuel is all the same but additives are different, like BP's Invigorate and Shell's vPower.

Reactions: C&C
#14 ·
And those additives include ethanol. I talked to the owner of a gas/service station who carries non ethanol 93 octane and he was telling me about it. They would never move gas through the pipelines with ethanol already in it because of how corrosive it is. Once it's brought to your local (refinery?) it is put on trucks and on those trucks is where they add the additives, ethanol included. Curtc could confirm or deny this I'm sure.

----------

And of course the very same corrosive ethanol that wasn't good enough for the pipelines is just fine for your car. Kills me.

#15 ·
Ethanol in the E10 (10% by volume) blend is fairly benign. Yes, it is added to each load at the central depot. FWIW, ethanol also increases octane rating.

MTBE was phased out for E10 in the early 2000s - of the millions and millions of cars built since then, how many have "corroded fuel systems" ????????

Gasoline - all 4 grades of just about every "brand" - is moved through pipelines in specific lots, separated by pigs. Right behind your 350,000 gallons of 87 there might be 500,000 gallons of diesel, then 250,000 of 91/93, then 850,000 of home heating oil.

Pipeline "pig" - very similar to the vacuum-propelled container used at bank drive-in windows.

Here - I just posted this in another thread - find your pure gas .......................

http://pure-gas.org/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.