Arm control bushes
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Arm control bushes in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi Guys. Is the lower front arm control bushes replaceable?? AllData saying about join balls but nothing about arm bushes. ...
  1. #1
    Wojciech is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    76

    Arm control bushes

    Hi Guys.

    Is the lower front arm control bushes replaceable??
    AllData saying about join balls but nothing about arm bushes.
    Do I have to replace whole arm ??
    Guy.Seminerio likes this.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    dkozloski's Avatar
    dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak
    Age
    75
    Posts
    26,929

    Re: Arm control bushes

    Rumor has it that bushings are available aftermarket but not from the dealer. Are they worn out or just squeaking?
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!


  4. #3
    mkosharkii's Avatar
    mkosharkii is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade, 2005 STS4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    107
    They in fact exist. Just got mine in the mail... I have the car jacked up, driver's side LCA to frame bolts and sway bar link removed on bottom. Pretty easy to maneuver the control arm to make bushings accessible. I was just trying to press the front one out with a tool rented from autozone, but had to leave on travel. I'll do a write up if I succeed.

  5. #4
    Neutrocuted's Avatar
    Neutrocuted is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 N* 1SF HUD ACC F55 - 2008 CTS 3.6DI Premium
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    WNW Suburban Chicago
    Posts
    282

    Re: Arm control bushes

    Quote Originally Posted by mkosharkii View Post
    They in fact exist. Just got mine in the mail... I have the car jacked up, driver's side LCA to frame bolts and sway bar link removed on bottom. Pretty easy to maneuver the control arm to make bushings accessible. I was just trying to press the front one out with a tool rented from autozone, but had to leave on travel. I'll do a write up if I succeed.
    A "How-To" with pics would be marvelous!

  6. #5
    mkosharkii's Avatar
    mkosharkii is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade, 2005 STS4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    107
    SUCCESS! (mostly)
    After trying in vain to remove them myself, I had the bushings pressed out/in at a local alignment shop. $25 per arm. (If you have a more appropriate/fancy bearing removal tool, they are accessible by simply removing the control arm to frame bolts and dropping it down.)

    Then I had to travel again, so I decided to order the ball joints as well. They arrived while I was away.

    I had those pressed as well. Same price. I'm sure they would have charged the same if I had brought in both the bushings and the ball joints at the same time. Lesson learned.

    Installing the arms was simple. Much easier in than out for me. Drove my horribly aligned car to the shop, got the front aligned for $59, presto!

    Cost:
    Bushings: $55
    Ball joints: $50
    Shop press: $50 (+$50 because I was being dumb)
    Alignment: $59
    Total: $214

    Or go to the dealer and get it done for $1000!
    I think parts alone for the LCAs is in the vicinity of $250 per arm. Ouch!

    Now about the "mostly" thing...
    I still have a clunk in the front end over certain bumps when taking turns. It is FAR less frequent than before, so there was definitely an improvement. Where should I be looking next? Upper control arms?

    I was in a rush and didn't take pictures besides a shot of the LCA with the new items installed. However, if anyone has any questions whatsoever, I would be glad to assist. Just ask! Furthermore, if you live in the Hampton Roads area, I could provide some on-site help.
    Let me know if you guys need anything!
    Wojciech likes this.

  7. #6
    EChas3's Avatar
    EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cedarburg, WI
    Age
    57
    Posts
    7,421

    Re: Arm control bushes

    My wife's car needed 3 (!?!) 2 lower & 1 upper under warranty.

  8. #7
    1BadCadSTS's Avatar
    1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,769
    Lol at those prices for ball joints you'll be doing the soon again. That $50 for a pair of ball joints infers you got some drive works pos ball joint.

  9. #8
    mkosharkii's Avatar
    mkosharkii is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade, 2005 STS4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS
    Lol at those prices for ball joints you'll be doing the soon again. That $50 for a pair of ball joints infers you got some drive works pos ball joint.
    Doubtful.
    I took a calculated risk. This is my 8th car, and the first that I have ever elected to replace the ball joints on. Note how I said "elected" as my ball joints were still good. One had a small tear in the boot, so I decided to replace them as a preemptive measure. According to service records, they were the original control arms (and by virtue, ball joints). If these ones lasted 135k, I suspect the cheap replacements will last the remainder of the car's life. That's what experience leads me to believe. Conversely, when I replaced my wheel bearing, I bought Timken, so the low cost parts isn't a trend I abide by. I don't just look for the cheapest solution and throw junk on my car. I apply a measure of logic.
    Furthermore, the Taiwanese company that produces these (and the bushings) is, to my knowledge, the only outfit that offers them. It was either these specific parts from this specific manufacturer, or the whole very expensive assembly from GM. I suspect my decision will serve me equally as well as the GM option, with the advantage of a significant savings. Time will tell, and I won't hesitate to report a failure if it occurs.
    Midnight likes this.

  10. #9
    1BadCadSTS's Avatar
    1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,769
    Quote Originally Posted by mkosharkii

    Doubtful.
    I took a calculated risk. This is my 8th car, and the first that I have ever elected to replace the ball joints on. Note how I said "elected" as my ball joints were still good. One had a small tear in the boot, so I decided to replace them as a preemptive measure. According to service records, they were the original control arms (and by virtue, ball joints). If these ones lasted 135k, I suspect the cheap replacements will last the remainder of the car's life. That's what experience leads me to believe. Conversely, when I replaced my wheel bearing, I bought Timken, so the low cost parts isn't a trend I abide by. I don't just look for the cheapest solution and throw junk on my car. I apply a measure of logic.
    Furthermore, the Taiwanese company that produces these (and the bushings) is, to my knowledge, the only outfit that offers them. It was either these specific parts from this specific manufacturer, or the whole very expensive assembly from GM. I suspect my decision will serve me equally as well as the GM option, with the advantage of a significant savings. Time will tell, and I won't hesitate to report a failure if it occurs.
    Suspension components you do get what your pay for. A 250 koni/bilstein shock will blow away a Monroe all day long. Federal mogal ie Moog are well worth the money over the advance auto parts special ball joint.

  11. #10
    mkosharkii's Avatar
    mkosharkii is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade, 2005 STS4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS
    Suspension components you do get what your pay for. A 250 koni/bilstein shock will blow away a Monroe all day long. Federal mogal ie Moog are well worth the money over the advance auto parts special ball joint.
    I agree, but that logic doesn't really apply in this case. If Moog made a ball joint for our cars, I would have taken that route. If they do I was a victim of my own poor research. Jumping all the way up to the whole control arms to the tune of an extra $400-$500 did not seem cost effective to me. Would it be reasonable to place the GM supplied ball joint somewhere between an economical and premium part in terms of quality? That's how I perceive it. That being said, $100 (Taiwan sourced low quality components) vs $500-$600 (GM sourced mid quality) vs non-existent top quality (ā la Moog) seems like an easy decision.

  12. #11
    cdezey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NY, NY
    Posts
    56
    Moog does make a ball joint for our cars.

  13. #12
    mkosharkii's Avatar
    mkosharkii is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade, 2005 STS4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by cdezey
    Moog does make a ball joint for our cars.

    Does it fit the AWD control arms?

  14. #13
    cdezey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NY, NY
    Posts
    56
    Yep awd only actually.

    ----------

    And they have upper up to 07, not sure what the diff is between other years.

  15. #14
    mkosharkii's Avatar
    mkosharkii is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade, 2005 STS4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    107
    Oh well. At least I know where to turn if these ones fail prematurely.
    Guy.Seminerio likes this.

  16. #15
    Dudes_99's Avatar
    Dudes_99 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Norfolk, Va
    Age
    45
    Posts
    8

    Re: Arm control bushes

    mkosharkii, found them: http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sh...illac/sts.html MOOG Lower AWD SKU#: MOK500064 just under $30 lowers only? From what I could tell the uppers are the same across all models. Also, what part of Norfolk you in?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting