Dash squeaks and driver's B-pillar rattle
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Guy.Seminerio
  • 2 Post By ddalder
  • 1 Post By carter's_sts
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Dash squeaks and driver's B-pillar rattle in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I've looked for months, I can't find the INCREDIBLY irritating twin squeaks coming from the dash. Both sound identical, but ...
    mckellyb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS N*, 1SF, 123K mi.

Dash squeaks and driver's B-pillar rattle

I've looked for months, I can't find the INCREDIBLY irritating twin squeaks coming from the dash. Both sound identical, but one is from the far right windshield corner, the other seems to emanate from in front of the instrument cluster. I've pushed, moved, banged...nothing makes it change, save for temperature, and I think the occasional jarring from the great infrastructure we now have in the US.

FWIW, they never occur simultaneously. The driver's side one is warmer weather related, and while the passenger's side one used to be only when it was below about 40F, now it's at any temp.

The other, which may be worse, is a rattle I swear is coming from part of the seat belt height adjustment, but again, nothing makes it change.

There isn't anything in the car but me. I have no kids, my wife rarely rides in it, and I don't keep anything in it, as it's my commuter.

Anyone ever find something which could cause this? I'd take stuff apart, but experience tells me I'll just create more noises.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Re: Dash squeaks and driver's B-pillar rattle

Have you looked at the plastic piece that runs the width of the car at the base of the windshield?

Are you sure your rattles aren't coming from the door panel?
    mckellyb likes this.

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Under what circumstances does the rattle seem to occur in the 'B' pillar (turns, bumps, opening the rear door all the way)? I had problems with all four of my door strikes loosening that caused a knocking like noise over bumps. These did not come loose from the car, it was the post that engaged with the latch that loosened slightly from the base. There was also so service bulletin for some vehicles regarding a seat belt guide with bolts installed that were too long causing a creaking noise. As for the dash, there was another bulletin regarding felt tape being applied to the trim around the instrument cluster to prevent noise. Each of these bulletins only applied to some vehicles so I'm not sure if they apply specifically to your car. You can try removing the defrost vent panel for a short time to see if the dash squeak disappears.
    Ludacrisvp and mckellyb like this.

I've checked that full-width plastic piece in front of the dash. Unfortunately, that's not it. I may pull that panel, just to see if it stops.

The door latches/cards. Hmmmm. Hadn't thought about those! Thanks!!! I'll go check the posts RIGHT NOW, even though it's 109F in the garage.

The B-pillar/door rattle is pretty much all the time, at speeds above 30 MPH. There aren't roads smooth enough to allow it to stop, though the new tollway is close.

...it's a conspiracy...

edit: ddadler, I may owe you a few Molsons, eh! The top latch Torx, looks like a T20, but I didn't check...lucky knack that way...was at least a turn and a half loose. Maybe two full turns!

The door frame latches, both front and rear, are seriously tight, but that one top door latch, driver's door, it was very definitely loose. Loose enough I thought maybe it was stripped when I started tightening it.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Did you grab the center post of the door latch and give it a good wiggle to see if it moves?

I did.

Took a large open-end wrench and not abusively tried to move it.

Rock solid.

No noise from it this morning, but all noises are worse in the afternoon. I don't know if it's because I'm more aware of them, of if it's from the car getting warm in the sun.

Though...the garage was 96F this morning, so...

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4

I had a stupid noise from the very front right side of the dash. Intermittent and made me crazy.

Had my wife drive (broke the rule) while I pushed on things. I found if I pushed on the windshield down there it stopped.

Ended up being a piece of what looked like solder under some rubber trim on the outside of the windshield.

From the sound of it I would have sworn it was inside the car.
    mckellyb likes this.

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Regarding the door strikes, when I grabbed mine firmly between my fingers and wiggled it I only got a little bit of a light click sound. It was amazing how much that was amplified and then radiated when engaged to the latch mechanism. Until I replaced them I never would have thought that was the cause of my rather noticeable clunk.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Yeah any time the door flexed it would pop / click mine.

Welp, the rattle returned on my way home, yesterday.

It's defnitely in the seat belt height adjuster, but no amount of messing with/pushing on stuff changes it.

If I move my head down 2-3 inches below it, can't hear it. Naturally, it's RIGHT AT ear level.

/facepalm

carter'sSTS, windscreen rubbing, eh? I can see this. I've had it happen in other vehicles, decades ago, so I'll give it a try.

I kinda want a new windscreen, anyway. Mine has two rock chips and some pitting from road debris. I've been holding off putting 3M Crystalline tint on it because of just this. I know two days after I do it, it'll catch a rock dead-center of my line-of-sight.

Slight tangent, I want to put Crystalline 40% on everything, including the sunroof, and 70% on the front windscreen. It sits in the sun all day, and this time of year, it gets to be 125F-130F inside. Just isn't pleasant.

Plus, it just ticked over 125K miles. I figure the car has reached its half-life of my ownership.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.