2006 STS4 Key Fob Replacment/Programming
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2006 STS4 Key Fob Replacment/Programming in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ok gentlemen, 2006 STS4 - I lost key fob #1 and am looking on eBay for a replacement. I am ...
    shaunhlad is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2006 STS4 Key Fob Replacment/Programming

Ok gentlemen,

2006 STS4 - I lost key fob #1 and am looking on eBay for a replacement. I am currently using fob #2. I am currently seeing new fob number 1's going for $50-100 or so. The question I have is this. If I buy fob number one, I know that I will have to relearn in to the STS. BUT HOW? I really don't want to pay dealer labor on a silly deal like this. Can anyone help??

This will be my first post. I might be able to post some pics of the baby on here soon as well.

Thanks again in advance.

Shaun

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ddgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

Re: 2006 STS4 Key Fob Replacment/Programming

At the top of the forum: Sticky: Problems, help and questions: Body, electrical and interior: Programming fob

It is also in the owner's manual if you have one. Listed under, Matching Transmitter(s) to your Vehicle

Doug

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: 2006 STS4 Key Fob Replacment/Programming

The procedures listed here are a bit more clear than the ones in the manual because people who have actually done it have tried to clarify them. For example, since you are not simply adding a fob, but replacing a lost fob, you will want to begin with all fobs at least 30 feet away from the car until the procedure calls for fob 1.

If any fobs that have ever been matched to the car are within sensing distance during the start of the procedure, the new fob will be matched as #3 or #4 and then cannot be used to automatically recall a Driver Preset or Remote-start the car.

On very rare occasions, members have reported bad fobs that do not respond properly to the procedure. Although I really like the new-style fob used beginning with some 2007 models, it does require some metal-working skills to fit a copied physical key into the fob. I like carrying one less visible key but the range of the new-style fob remote start may not be as good as the 300 feet of the old-style one. It may also use batteries faster and/or need cleaning/adjustment more often, too.

shaunhlad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Firstly, thank you.

Ill try to stay away from purchasing any later model (2007) replacements. Do you advise on purchasing a brand new replacement or would it be okay to purchase a used fob?

I seem to have misplaced my manual and cannot find it. The fob # 2 seat memory seems to want to always default to fob number one seat memory for the recall. When I turn the car off and open the door, the seat then changes to something that I've never seen before. It actually pushes me closer to the steering wheel and the telescopic steering wheel also comes out. I've tried to engage the "recall steering wheel" feature when exiting while using fob number two, however I've been unsuccessful.

Thanks again for everyone's reply.

STSJr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Hi, the posts from our members are very detailed and accurate. However, if you misplaced your manual and don't want to spend the money to buy one you can view the entire manual online for free. The website is www.justgivemethedamnmanual.com. Very easy to use and free! Good luck!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.