2006 STS4 1SG PKG Unusual Shifts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2006 STS4 1SG PKG Unusual Shifts in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Today I drove my car after my wife told me the car shifted goofy if your hot rodding around. So ...
    Conyo06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 1SG PKG

2006 STS4 1SG PKG Unusual Shifts

Today I drove my car after my wife told me the car shifted goofy if your hot rodding around. So I took it this evening to see what she was talking about. I was at a red light and when it went green I put the hammer down. When it came time to shift from first to second gear it was as if the traction control was engaged. Engine power was cut like TC was engaged but it wasn't. So I took my foot out of the gas for a second which allowed the car to shift (which was a hard shift), than I got back in the throttle and it down shifted and picked right back up and went through first gear right into second fine then. It did this same thing consistently. My wife also told me that when she was passing someone on two lane road it down shifted fine but when it was time to shift to the next gear it was as if the car stalled at the top of the gear until she let up a bit which than it shifted and it continued to accelerate. I tried this as well and did the something for me. I guess in short the car does not go through the gears like it should. In my mind if you try to push your foot through floor the car should run through the gears. If your drive nice and normal everything is fine. The only time it acts up is if you have your foot in the throttle. Does any have any idea what could cause this. Bad trans filter, bad trans, or can it be reprogrammed? Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: 2006 STS4 1SG PKG Unusual Shifts

The transmission shifts are adaptive to some degree and TCM programming modifys to match your driving style. It can be reset to default by removing the battery cables from the battery and touching them together for a minute or so then reconnecting. About the only thing else affected by this procedure is "express" windows and this only takes a minute to fix. I'd give it a try just to see if anything changes.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Ludacrisvp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Also, you could try this again with Traction Control and Stability Control disabled and see if it continues.
    Press and hold the TC off button down (about 8-10 seconds) until the DIC says STABILITY SYS OFF and see if the issues continue as what you describe does sound TC/VSS related...
    Did this behave the same in Sport mode (sD) or with manual shifting mode?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp
    Also, you could try this again with Traction Control and Stability Control disabled and see if it continues. Press and hold the TC off button down (about 8-10 seconds) until the DIC says STABILITY SYS OFF and see if the issues continue as what you describe does sound TC/VSS related... Did this behave the same in Sport mode (sD) or with manual shifting mode?
    It behaves the same in sD and Manual

Well I tried what you suggested and that didn't seem to change anything. I is weird how it acts and that it only does it in first gear. I tried this a couple time on the interstate on ramps. From a dead stop in first gear it starts and then cuts out. Take the foot of the gas and ease back into it and the car accelerates to 100 plus easily. Second and third gear seemed to be good. First gear only acts up when flooring it. So if you have any other suggestions that I could try that would be great.

----------

How do you fix the express window if it is affected by doing this? Express window you mean the auto out up and down?

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

The Express Window Calibration procedure 'teaches' them where to stop when closing. Failure to reset them can cause undue regulator motor wear and/or incomplete closure. All other settings should be saved to EPROM (unless you forgot to save them by pressing and holding the Driver Config Softkey for the double-beep.)

I'd start with all the regular suspects like the reset Koz suggests, Intake Manifold Bolts, vacuum leaks, inspection of motor & transmission mounts, etc. The reset has been known to cure all sorts of ills, even if only for a short time. Assuming no joy, I'd go ahead and spend the money on getting the codes read and better yet, a full diagnosis from the Cadillac dealer with the best reputation within a reasonable drive. Depending on where you are, you may even have several choices; I live 30 minutes from two good Dealers, but would drive a few hours for the best quality.

I probably would NOT authorize any repair over a few hundred bucks, but if it isn't something simple, you need specialized knowledge. A transmission shop that KNOWS and has a reputation for working on the STS is a viable alternative but the last thing you want to do is start throwing parts at it. If you're going to do that, you may as well swap in a whole rebuilt transmission yourself!

You don't say where you live, but I'd bet the crowd here can point out the Cadillac Service Departments near you that are the pros and the ones that are zeroes. There are both; as well as many in-between.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Conyo06 View Post
    Well I tried what you suggested and that didn't seem to change anything. I is weird how it acts and that it only does it in first gear. I tried this a couple time on the interstate on ramps. From a dead stop in first gear it starts and then cuts out. Take the foot of the gas and ease back into it and the car accelerates to 100 plus easily. Second and third gear seemed to be good. First gear only acts up when flooring it. So if you have any other suggestions that I could try that would be great.

----------

How do you fix the express window if it is affected by doing this? Express window you mean the auto out up and down?
    One by one, run the windows all the way up and they hold the control in the up position for a few more seconds. Usually you can hear a click as they set. That's all there is to it.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.