2005 STS maintenance
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2005 STS maintenance in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi guys! I'm a new owner of a brand OLD 2005 STS with a 3.6L at 128,000km (sorry for the ...
    LINUXman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS 3.6L

2005 STS maintenance

Hi guys!

I'm a new owner of a brand OLD 2005 STS with a 3.6L at 128,000km (sorry for the "Km" I'm from Quebec Canada)

I had it inspected and they say I need new brakes, that's all folks!!!

I figure for a 9 year old car at 80,000 milles (I'm converting...), it must need some other maintenance no??? (something my mechanic doesn't know)

This Cady is show room on the exterior/interior, but maybe not on the mechanical side

I really want to care for my new baby...

It is not sipping oil, the transmission works grate, when I floored it, the engine sounded like 6 trombones in symphony... (kind of like a Corvette GRRR! hihi!)

What worries me is the fact that when I purchased the car, I've pulled out the oil gauge and noticed that the oil was pitch black, the owner said to me "I always did the oil changes on time"... (car computer indicated 40% left at the time)

I know now that there was a TSB on the oil parameters...

I don't mind caus it doesn't sip any oil and I follow my mechanics recommendation but.

Should I go to the dealer and check other parameter flaws?

I had an air bag warning last week, I did a complete wash of the interior (moved the two front electric seats all the way forward and back) to clean the carpet and the air bag warning disappeared ???

Pleas tell me every thing I should know about my new baby...

Thanks!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Re: 2005 STS maintenance

Page 508 and 509 plus footnotes here shows the maintenance schedule. http://www.vadengmpp.com/owners-manu...TS.pdf#page502

It's in the manual. I'd definitely do the 75k mile services and even the 50k mile services assuming you don't have access to records showing these things were done. I would also throw in a drain and refill of the cooling system - again, assuming you don't know when it was last done. Every 5 years for the coolant is the rule.

Your airbag light was on because the connector under one of the seats is not fully secured. So when you adjusted the seats, you moved it enough to where the connection is now being made. You need to get to the airbag connector under each seat and disconnect and reconnect them. Common problem.

Change the oil if you haven't already and keep a VERY close eye on it. I would check it every time you fill up especially with you getting to know the car. The 6 trombones comment makes me think you have the v6 engine and if that's the case, even more of a reason for you to keep an eye out for oil use.

Aurora5000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 Blackberry 2004 CTS 3.6 Loaded

What he said...Replace the battery..it will save you problems down the road

Thanks a million both of ya

I had the oil changed as soon as I drove away from the ex-owner, and tomorrow I'm having an other oil change (two weeks later) and the breaks changed as well, as fore the rest of the liquids, I'm planning to flush them all by the end of the summer (coolant, transmission, power steering, etc...) I'm also planning to rust proof it (lots of salty roads in winter time in Quebec) I decided to change the oil again because it was still to dark for my taste, now that it is rinsed with the previous oil change, I will put synthetic from now on.

I'm not worried any more about the engine, because I've been keeping a close eye on the oil for the past two weeks and it didn't took any at all, it is still on the mark (I drove at various speeds and put 1000Km since)

The only thing that haunts me is the TBS for the oil parameters in the computer, I am wondering if I should go to the dealer and have them check the parameters and correct them (maybe there's other parameter flaws that I don't know of beside the one for the oil duration) or should I just don't mind and use the little sticker that my mechanic sticks in my windshield instead...

What do you think?

Find out if the update was done or not. If not, do it. I thought it was an actual recall, not just a TSB.

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 132k
    It was a recall. They recalibrate the OLM to shorter change intervals.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Thanks every one...

The post you send me Guy.Seminerio scared me a bit, I should have my timing chain checked as well...

I've done some research about my engine and it puzzles me... My Cady is a 2005 STS with a 3.6L V6 VVT engine (unless Wikipedia is wrong) they clam that GM started to use the VVT in the STS in 2006/2008 ???

The car comes from the US, it was totaled in 2005 than re-built the same year (front bumper, head lamp and front passenger side fender) I know that the body shop did a modification it has the front grill of a STS-V but it's a STS, so I'm wondering if they changed the 257 ch. engine for a VVT

Hi yall!

OK here's an update on my baby...

The timing chain is A OK no rattle souds when cold and timing is on the dot (checked with the timing gun idle and revved up) so no slack in the chain OUFFF!!!

My mechanic said the oil is fine, even if it got dark the next day doesn't mean it's not good, he actually explained to me that the darkening is the additive/detergent in new formulated oil is doing its job and should do my next oil change in 4000 Km as recommended...

I've had all the brake pads changed, they were near the warning piece of metal that rub on the disc (I know the mechanical term in French "avertisseur" but not in English sorry...) the discs are due the next time I change the pads...

I had the battery checked and it's the original (9 years old) GM battery, so guess what I'm changing at my next oil change this fall, HAHA! an other 200$

I do have a dead front parking light on the passenger side, and my mechanic tolled me that to get to the parking light he needs to remove the front bumper ???, I saw a video on Youtube that you need to take out a few push pins off the wheel well plastic and pry your arm in to reach the bulb... I think I'm gonna try this one on my own... I did the same thing on my 2002 Buick lesabre, so how hard can it be HaHa!

Cheers!

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 132k

I would suggest buying a type 78 battery vs. the recommended 101. You get more cranking amps, they're much cheaper, and fit just fine.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Thanks for the info curtc...

I was thinking to buy a Canadian tire Eliminator AGM battery at 150$ 5 year warranty, but I think it will not fit because it has posts on the side and on top, I guess the ones on the top will be in the way of putting back the plastic engine cover, unless I saw them off but there goes the warranty I suppose ha ha!...

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I'm NOT in favor of the transmission flush or rustproofing. A flush may stir up more trouble than it solves. Besides, who knows what car was last connected to the machine or if the shop properly cleans it.

Modern cars don't have the corrosion problems the older ones did. Most rustproofing methods only serve to trap saltwater underneath the treatment, anyway.

Opinions vary.

Never quite looked at it that way EChas3, maybe you're right...

Have a nice day every one!

Aurora5000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 Blackberry 2004 CTS 3.6 Loaded

I agree with Curt. I have a Walmart 78. Got on sale around $100.

OK thanks Aurora5000, I guess I'm a bit hypochondriac with my baby ha ha!

I just wanted the best battery because it is fully loaded with gadgets I didn't imagine them having back in 2005, GPS, rain sensor, a sound system that is almost better than the one in my living room, 2 memory adjustable EVERYTHING!, with an exit adjustable EVERYTHING, cooling front seats, heated front and back seats, heating steering wheel, heck even the LCD display is angle adjustable...

No wonder it sold for 72,000$ back then... when I bargained the ex-owner for 5000$ I felt bad, he even throw in 4 original Cadillac MAGs with 4 winter tires (they only ran one season)

The only thing I hate about this care is that it makes the guys turn there heads NOT THE GIRLS!!!
    I should have bought a Miata instead... ha ha!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.