2005 STS maintenance - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2005 STS maintenance in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My last car was a fwd and handled good in the snow. This Cadillac STS has done very well with ...
    dannyquest is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS 99,000 miles

Re: 2005 STS maintenance

My last car was a fwd and handled good in the snow. This Cadillac STS has done very well with new tires in snow. Danny

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Turning into a skid isn't a hard skill and lifting your foot off the throttle at the first loss of traction is a natural reaction. In a RWD car, this natural reaction stabilizes the vehicle and in a front-drive car it actually de-stabilizes the car. Front-drive encourages development of a habit of keeping the throttle constant or even increasing it when the front wheels begin to slip.

I find this non-intuitive. Early attempts at racing front-drive designs resulted in fast cars right up until drivers lost control and then could not recover. Even today, front-drive cars are really only competitive when raced against each other.

I strongly recommend a set of Blizzaks for your STS before Thanksgiving, or consider storing it. A 2-ton RWD car on hard 8-inch-wide tires will be in the traction control/ABS constantly on conventional or multi-purpose tires (all-season radials).

I'm not saying you can't do it. I'm saying you won't want to.

The STS has nice balance (weight distribution is nearly even) and reasonably good traction control, but your 2005's V6 torque is well over 200 ft. lbs. it won't be easy on snow & ice in traffic. Can you afford to just stay where you are when necessary?
    LINUXman likes this.

LINUXman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS 3.6L

Hay thanks guys for the tips but I think that my winter problem is resolved, oh I still want to go to the nearest large parking lot (alone) and test the stability in the snow, but...

I talked it over with my wife (she's the wallet counsellor ha!) and we came to the conclusion that we should keep my old 2002 FWD Buick Lesabre which I didn't sold yet, for me to use in the winter and store the cady (nice heated garage), well I'm not saying that I won't take it out for a spin on a nice cold DRY winter sunny day once in a while, but it passed the counsellor's budget

I think i convinced her when I let her drive the cady to go shopping (alone with my mother), when she came back she asked me if we could take long romantic drives somewhere (with a roll of paper towels

So I'm preparing a nice romantic drive for most week-ends ha ha! see ya!

Hi everyone !

Long time no see... well, when all is well, no news... (that's just like me)

I finally got my OBD2 scanner to work, good toy to play with, I tried a lot of different softs and the one I got my heart set on is SCANTOOL (native to desktop Linux distros) and pritty good for a novice like me

I missed my chance to diagnose something weird that happened this after noon, my baby showed a (translation from French) "repair vehicle" but no check engine light ?!?!?, just got rid of it by playing with the info switch... what happened ?!?! I'm confused, was that just a computer glitch ?!?! or it's something bad coming$$$ I'm beginning to start noticing that cars really do have personalities

Checked everything and all seams to be OK, I'll just wait it out...

Cheers everyone!

Welcome back! Most of the members ask for scan codes; got any?

Sorry EChas3

Like I said, no check engine light, so no code, just "repair vehicle" from the info display, creepy... I shouldn't name here "Christine" maybe "Boumbo" is a better name (look it up on Youtube) ha ha!, as soon I touched the info button to get INFO?!?!, "repair vehicle" disappeared like a ghost... CREEEPY!

My Grand-Father (passed away) was a Ford technician for 50 years, and he tolled me one day... "If a CAR seams to cure it self it means bad news down the road" CREEEEEEEEEEEEPY!

OK CALM DOWN TOM.... Christine... Your going to the VET (GM dealer), tomorrow!!!!

Just kidding, I will wait it out, I'm curious if it's gonna cost me a towing... (I've got CAA)

Night night everyone!

Dino1SG is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I believe I would translate into "service vehicle soon" and you would need to scan the BCM, IPC, and other modules for codes. You would only be able to scan ECM code with a code reader.

Thank's Dino1SG

I will put my SCANTOOL to work ASAP, I thought that no check engine light means no code but you seam to tell me that "repair vehicle" is the equivalent to Service Engine Soon? I wonder if my Scantool can read logs, hmmmmm!

I will keep you posted on my findings...

An other thing completely out of subject I was wondering about is...

I was wondering if for some reason I destroy my FOB (plunged in a pool with 5 gorgeous babes and forgot that my FOB was in my pocket)... you know, weird stuff happens

Can I start the car with the ordinary indestructible metal key I can open the door/trunk/glove compartment/ect...? or I'm had...

I've search the web and my Owner's manual and found nothing... I've heard of a hidden slot somewhere that you put the metal key in and press the start button... is that true? I'm talking about a 2005 STS

I know that if the battery is week, the info will tell you to change the battery, and if it's very week or completely dead, you can put the FOB in the console and still start the car, but what if the FOB is destroyed for some reason? can I use the metal key to start the car?

Night night yall!!!

The fob is water resistant but even damaged and without power, the key code in the fob may be read by inserting it in the pocket in the armrest, Cadillac emblem facing forward. I suppose if you only have one fob, it is not hard enough to imagine a scenario where it is damaged beyond use. So you need a dealer.

I don't see that as a big deal, if you only have one fob for a Canadian car, you're already on thin ice. You need a dealer just to add a second fob keyed to a driver preset. You're more likely to lose a fob than have it go bad.

----------

They can be moved w/o a properly matched fob but not started.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

You use the key to unlock the door and then follow instructions above.

surgeont is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS
    Owners refer to 1SG or other digits I suppose it designates the model type or equipment package. Anyone know where there is a list showing what they mean. I have an 05 STS rear wheel V8

A member posted a list not long ago. A few searches should pull it up.

1SA-1SC are the V6's & 1SE-1SG are the V'8's. A few options are available across the range but most were tied to minimum trim levels within each engine group. Can you still get a free VIN data-feed by joining Compnine?

Open your trunk & spare tire cover and look at the 4 x 6 tag with your VIN & a bunch of three-digit codes. 1SZ is a marketing option.

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by surgeont
    Owners refer to 1SG or other digits I suppose it designates the model type or equipment package. Anyone know where there is a list showing what they mean. I have an 05 STS rear wheel V8
    May be on the window sticker (?) but the 1sg package is pretty much the " kitchen sink". I have an '05 1SG V8 with every option offered less heads up display. Still driving it after nearly 10 years and 204,000 miles. Great car.

Thanks every one for your support (and believe me, it helped!!!)

This is my findings:
    OK first of all, the FOB thing, I've discover that if the FOB is dead, you can use it any way if you put it in the FOB pocket inside the arm rest with the Caddy logo facing the front of the car, (Thanks EChas3 it uses a proximity reader powered by the car through induction to an embedded antenna and CPU in the rear plastic cover of the FOB)

So If the FOB is lost or crushed, you need a tow truck and a dealer...

But I have the most precious thing with me (MY WIFE and her FOB, ha ha!)

I just need to explain to her, why I destroyed my FOB, and I'm all set...

As for my "repair vehicle" warning... I had a STALL this morning (no start, but with a shut down and restart... AT LAST MY BABY STARTED WITH A CHECK ENGINE!!!) I rushed to my SCANTOOL computer and it spitted out "ECM/EPC communication error" I realised it was after a short STOP and GO, so I suspected the battery, it was the original 9 yo GM battery ?!?! (Delco has the best...) so I got my self a genuine DELCO GM battery for my Baby 395$ I think I was had...

Before the change, it was charging at 12.8/13 volts (tension readings on the on board computer) now with a 395$ one, it reads a full 13.9 to 14 volts... (WOW! I CAN GO GET MY DAUGHTER 4 hours away in Chicoutimi Quebec!!!) With a peace of mind...

But before you put me down... If this battery lasts 9 years like the original one did, I will have the last laugh...

Night night yall!!

hey gang

I came back from a 4 day trip (went to get my daughter) I've put 620 miles (1000km) on the Caddy and the 3.6L engine burned one qt of oil (my oil/filter was only 300 miles old), is that normal ?!?!?!?

I drove mostly on cruse control up/down mountains at 70mph, should I start putting additives in the oil?, I use full synthetic 5w30 Quaker State oil with wear protection.

Or should I start saving for a new engine (it has 84000 miles and I do my oil/filter changes every 3000 miles)

Do I use the wrong stuff? Am I pushing to hard on the throttle? I hope this will not deteriorate...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.