2005 STS Rear Diff Leaking
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2005 STS Rear Diff Leaking in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Just finished taking my car on about a 250 mile drive and after it sat in the garage for a ...
    nwjones18 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

2005 STS Rear Diff Leaking

Just finished taking my car on about a 250 mile drive and after it sat in the garage for a few hours there is about a 5in round puddle of gear oil under the rear diff. Haven't had a chance to crawl under it yet. From what I've seen there was a recall on 05 STS's pinion seals. Anyone know if that's true, or if I could still get it fixed under that recall?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

C&C
    C&C is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Re: 2005 STS Rear Diff Leaking

Yes there was a recall, and if you haven't had it done, should still be offered (I would think).

scott9001 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 sts N* 1965 coupe deville

I wonder if the vents plugged I have to drop my diff for this reason when I get it out of storage! I've seen on fords the pressure blows the axle seals out

I haven't had a chance to get under the car yet, but the puddle under it is growing so I'm pretty confident its the pinion seal. I have read there are some problems with the vent on them, but it is hard to get to to check.

Aurora5000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 Blackberry 2004 CTS 3.6 Loaded

Went to dealer for some work and they have a recall for rear end.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Mine had the side seals replaced under recall but the pinion was OK. The RH side seal failed again and I replaced it my selfa couple of weeks ago. The diff doesn't leak a drop. I park over white cardboard in the garage to spot oil leaks.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

REALTORBENJAMIN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS V8 RWD

There is a recall however not all cars are included. I checked mine at the dealer and via documents on the NHTSA website. It points out the range of VIN's included. See if yours is within the range.

Since mine wasn't, I'm not covered so I am currently (actually as we speak) purchasing a pinion seal kit (around 70-80 bucks).

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

My diff leaked because the center ripped out of the RH side seal and was rotating with the stub axle.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Quote Originally Posted by REALTORBENJAMIN View Post
    There is a recall however not all cars are included. I checked mine at the dealer and via documents on the NHTSA website. It points out the range of VIN's included. See if yours is within the range.

Since mine wasn't, I'm not covered so I am currently (actually as we speak) purchasing a pinion seal kit (around 70-80 bucks).
    Dropped mine off at the dealer today. I will let you know what they quote me to replace as mine wasn't covered under recall either. I have the full GM service manual and the instructions for replacing are fairly straight forward. Torque on the nut is 210ftlbs btw. If they quote me some insane price to replace I'll be doing it myself.

----------

Drive Pinion Flange/Yoke and/or Oil Seal Replacement

Tools Required

• J 45005 Seal Installer

• J 45012 Holding Fixture

• J 45019 Flange and Pinion Cage Remover

• J 34826 Hub Nut Socket (36 mm)

Removal Procedure
    •Raise and support vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.

Object Number: 1236095 Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.

Important: Remove only the propeller shaft coupler-to-differential flange bolts. Do NOT remove the coupler from the propeller shaft.

•Remove the propeller shaft coupler-to-differential flange bolts (6), nuts (4), and washers (5).
    •Push the rear propeller shaft (1) toward the front of the vehicle in order to release the propeller shaft coupler (2) from the differential pinion flange (3).
    •Carefully position the propeller shaft (1) out of the way and support the propeller shaft using a suitable jack.

Object Number: 804354 Size: SH
    •Install the J 45012 to the flange.
    •While holding the J 45012 , remove the drive pinion nut, using J 34826 .
    •Remove the J 45012 .

Object Number: 819957 Size: SH
    •Install the J 45019 to the flange.
    •Using the J 45019 , remove the flange.
    •Using a flat-bladed tool, remove the drive pinion seal. Take care not to damage any sealing surfaces.

Installation Procedure
    •Lubricate the drive pinion flange sealing surface of the drive pinion seal with synthetic gear oil GM P/N 12378514 (Canadian P/N 88901045), or equivalent.
    •Install the drive pinion seal to the J 45005 .

Object Number: 788664 Size: SH
    •Using the J 45005 , install the pinion seal to the differential.
    •Remove the J 45005 .
    •Remove the J 45019 .

Object Number: 804354 Size: SH
    •Install the J 45012 .
    •Install the pinion flange to the drive pinion shaft.

Important: The pinion shaft threads and the pinion flange nut must be free of residue and debris prior to application of threadlocker in order to ensure proper adhesion and fastener retention.

•Prepare the pinion shaft threads and the pinion flange nut for assembly:
    •Thoroughly clean the residue from the pinion shaft threads by using denatured alcohol or equivalent and allow to dry.
    •Thoroughly clean the residue from the pinion flange nut by using denatured alcohol or equivalent and allow to dry.
    •Apply threadlocker GM P/N 12345382 (Canadian P/N 10953489), or equivalent to 2/3 of the threaded length of the pinion shaft threads. Ensure that there are no gaps in the threadlocker along the length of the filled area of the pinion shaft threads.
    •Allow the threadlocker to cure approximately 10 minutes before installation.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.
    • Install the drive pinion flange nut to the pinion shaft. While holding the J 45012 , use J 34826 to tighten the drive pinion nut.

Tighten
    Tighten the pinion flange nut to 285 N·m (210 lb ft).
    •Remove the J 45012 .

Object Number: 1236095 Size: SH
    •Install the propeller shaft coupler (2) to the differential flange (3).
    •Remove the jack.
    •Inspect the propeller shaft to flange nuts (4), bolts (6), and washers (5). Replace if damaged or worn.

Important: If reusing the propeller shaft to flange nuts and bolts, to ensure proper adhesion and fastener retention, the threads must be free of debris prior to the application of threadlocker.

•Thoroughly clean the threads using denatured alcohol or equivalent and allow to dry. Apply threadlocker GM P/N 12345493 (Canadian P/N 10953488), or equivalent to the propeller shaft to the flange bolt. Ensure that there are no gaps in the threadlocker along the length of the filled area of the bolt. Allow the threadlocker to cure approximately 10 minutes before installation.
    •Install the propeller shaft coupler-to-differential flange washers (5) to the propeller shaft coupler-to-differential flange bolts (6).
    •Install the propeller shaft coupler-to-differential flange bolts (6) and washers (5) to the differential flange (3) and propeller shaft coupler (2).
    •Install the propeller shaft coupler-to-differential flange nuts (4).

Tighten
    Tighten the propeller shaft coupler-to-differential flange bolts to 85 N·m (63 lb ft).
    •Inspect the fluid level. Refer to Lubricant Level Inspection - Rear Drive Axle .
    •Lower the vehicle.
    REALTORBENJAMIN likes this.

dannyquest is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS 99,000 miles

My 06 STS rear diff was replaced 3 times. Each time Cadillac paid the bill. Danny

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SATURN-OEM-1...503f49&vxp=mtr

Where did you get those instructions from?

From the youtube video's I've seen of guys replacing the seal, they say to count the threads on the bolt going in and mark it off. Tighten to the same point when re-installing.

I have a GM service manual for the vehicle and those are the instructions from it. Dealer quoted me $890 to replace, so I told them that was nuts and then they said they could do it for $512 and I told them not to touch my car I was coming to get it. I just also ordered a pinion kit, but there are multiple p/n's. I ordered

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371010168844...84.m1439.l2649

which is what GM parts direct showed as the correct one. Dealer told me there were 3 different styles so we will see if I got the right one or not. I see you ordered
    19179933 and I ordered 19179934... I guess its a crapshoot.

What I should have done is wait till I crawled under it to see what it looks like. Oh well mine was only $45 so no big loss.

----------

I beleive you ordered the correct seal kit. 9934 is for the sts/cts-v

Quote Originally Posted by nwjones18
    I have a GM service manual for the vehicle and those are the instructions from it. Dealer quoted me $890 to replace, so I told them that was nuts and then they said they could do it for $512 and I told them not to touch my car I was coming to get it. I just also ordered a pinion kit, but there are multiple p/n's. I ordered http://www.ebay.com/itm/371010168844...84.m1439.l2649 which is what GM parts direct showed as the correct one. Dealer told me there were 3 different styles so we will see if I got the right one or not. I see you ordered 19179933 and I ordered 19179934... I guess its a crapshoot. What I should have done is wait till I crawled under it to see what it looks like. Oh well mine was only $45 so no big loss. ---------- I beleive you ordered the correct seal kit. 9934 is for the sts/cts-v
    It's sitting at the post office I'll post a pic of it when I get it.

One piece of the package came in a bag marked made in Korea. Suspect?

Can't attach a pic from my iPhone I'll submit later today to compare the seals.

I've gotten both part numbers now and everything is made in Korea. I am going to tackle mine this afternoon and will report what I find.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.