2005 STS Rear Diff Leaking - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2005 STS Rear Diff Leaking in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by nwjones18 I've gotten both part numbers now and everything is made in Korea. I am going to ...
    REALTORBENJAMIN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS V8 RWD
    Quote Originally Posted by nwjones18
    I've gotten both part numbers now and everything is made in Korea. I am going to tackle mine this afternoon and will report what I find.
    Reminds me of the quote in Armageddon "American components Russian components... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!"

Looking forward to your follow up post.
    Ludacrisvp likes this.

nwjones18 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

Re: 2005 STS Rear Diff Leaking

Could you measure the flange on your part when it comes in? Mine is around 98mm and the flange on my car is more like 105.. so neither part I have is right at the moment. You also have to drop the exhaust to get to everything. Also my 36mm socket was to thick to fit. All in all a total fail of an afternoon. Will report back when I make some progress.

sealkit (1024x669).jpg
    What part do I measure? The round part is 100mm approx. Dollar bill for size reference.

I was hoping it would be fairly simple, as sliding the differential over and being able to work away. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNkG...I&noredirect=1

Sadly its not anywhere near that simple. You got the same part I have it looks like. the flange around the outside of the splined part is dented on yours the same as mine. There is no way to drop the driveshaft without lowering the exhaust, but that is not that hard. Pay attention to the instructions I posted. I am going to have to grind down the socket I have to fit inside and get to the nut. Hopefully your socket is thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by nwjones18
    Sadly its not anywhere near that simple. You got the same part I have it looks like. the flange around the outside of the splined part is dented on yours the same as mine. There is no way to drop the driveshaft without lowering the exhaust, but that is not that hard. Pay attention to the instructions I posted. I am going to have to grind down the socket I have to fit inside and get to the nut. Hopefully your socket is thinner.
    Yikes. Take pics!

Ok its done. Sorry I was to messy to take pictures. The new seal/flange is a totally different design than the old one so don't let it scare you that what you are taking apart looks different. It fit fine on mine and after a short test drive it does not appear to be leaking. Hardest part is getting the driveshaft pushed forward far enough to get it off, but it is possible with some patience and a pry bar. I'm 6'2 250lbs and I had a hard time getting leverage under the car to get 210ftlbs but I got it eventually. If car was on a ramp the job would be soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much easier. Let me know if you have any problems.

Does it make it any easier to access the diff bushing while doing the seal job, having the drive shaft down?

Was contemplating doing both in one shot.

Yeah I would think it'd make it a little easier. The top bushing on the passenger side of mine seemed to have a fair amount of play in it, but I haven't been getting any clunking/vibrations, and really wanted to get done so I just let it be. Hopefully it last a while longer.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.