Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Does navigation screen need to warm up?

3K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  dkozloski 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 STS and when I start and drive the car in the morning the navigation display is almost invisible, the brightness control has no effect. Later, when the car has been driven the display is fine. Since the outside temperature here is around freezing does the display have to warm up to be readable?

#14 ·
The car is parked outside and when it's first started the screen is almost invisible with the sun shining on it; I tried changing the settings from auto to day and night with no effect. Thanks for the replies, sounds like some warm up is normal in the cold weather.

#16 ·
atlrus said:
It's not "normal", per se. When this happens - is your speedometer also dimmer than usual?
Really? Go leave your nice lcd tv outside in any cold weather and tell me it doesn't do the same thing.

Any LCD screen will need to warm up in cold temps. I'm not talking about 35+ but in 20 or below the screen will be very dark until it warms up.

Op what you experianced is perfectly normal don't let anyone make you nervous.

#19 ·
BS.
I live in Michigan and it has been plenty cold, even -20 and while the Navi needs "warm up" time, it is not as drastic as described by the OP, just the white would look a bit yellow-brownish until the screen warms up, for example. My Escalade has the same Navi screen and never had this problem, either.

Why would the speedo be dimmer than normal?
LEDs ≠ LCD
Because what the OP is describing is not normal "warm up" and is probably related to the auto-dimming feature. I myself had experienced it a few times, for example, when parking under shade, start the car and drive into bright sun - for 10-15 sec I can't see the Navi and barely see the speedometer, then the brightness adjusts and voila :)

#17 ·
Why would the speedo be dimmer than normal?
LEDs ≠ LCD

LED backlighting for LCD panels wasn't common when the STS was made and when its really cold you'll also note that the display seems 'slow' I've had it where the DIC still shows messages about 1.5 seconds after i've changed what it should say due to the LCD panel being so damn cold.

#20 ·
atlrus said:
BS.
I live in Michigan and it has been plenty cold, even -20 and while the Navi needs "warm up" time, it is not as drastic as described by the OP, just the white would look a bit yellow-brownish until the screen warms up, for example. My Escalade has the same Navi screen and never had this problem, either.

Because what the OP is describing is not normal "warm up" and is probably related to the auto-dimming feature. I myself had experienced it a few times, for example, when parking under shade, start the car and drive into bright sun - for 10-15 sec I can't see the Navi and barely see the speedometer, then the brightness adjusts and voila :)
Cool so every STS (3 of them mind you) a Seville and an SRX that have resided in my driveway all with denso navs are broken... Sure I buy that...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.