2005 STS MAJOR electrical problem!!!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2005 STS MAJOR electrical problem!!!!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; First off I would like to say hello to every one here and very pleased of this community! But to ...
    05uddin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 sts

2005 STS MAJOR electrical problem!!!!!

First off I would like to say hello to every one here and very pleased of this community! But to the point, my baby has started an unusual major issue! A 2005 sts v6 rwd base model. I've seen several threads but on this particular topic, a resolution has not been posted. With that being said I promise I will not let this one die!!!! Overall symptom(s) are all gauges resetting itself while powered up, odometer reading ( ----- ) , loss of all power causing you to restart while still in motion......... I will get into specifics in moment as I would like to point out this will be a log!

Started Saturday morning (7ish am) when my factory alarm was going off. This was unusual and didn't know it was my car since I live in a apartment. And pretty quiet at that. I silenced the repeating annoyance of the horn as it did wake me up.......didn't think twice about it........five minutes later.......same thing! So I get up and get dressed since was going to work soon anyway and looked over the car......no signs of tamper so just assumed my baby was being crabby! Yes my car is a spoiled baby........don't like the cold just like her daddy! Anyway, start up no problems but had a "service vehicle soon" message lit up. Drove the car all day with no symptoms. Put 80 miles on her. Now its Sunday morning and once again I'm woke by the sound of my horn! Ugh!!!! At first I was suspecting my FOB as its not in the best condition and a new one is needed, but the cluster normally point out "no key fob detected"! Plus since I was able to silence the horn figured not the main source. Had it set in my mind to continue with my plan of completing a oil change and air filter........and I did. (Do all my work unless its really major). So that means I made it to Autozone, made it back, changed oil and filter and also air filter. Only symptoms was the "service vehicle soon" message. So then I took the initiative of changing the plugs since they had about 40k on them. Drove to the part store and back again with 6 new plugs. Disconnected the battery as it was time to clean the terminals again (mi. Full of snow and cold right now) while I change the plugs. Plus let the ECU reset. Here's where the bs start!!!!

Start the car to make sure it would and smoothly it did. But, now my dash lights go from bright to dim, gauge clusters keep cycling zero to max like power it just now being supplied to them, door switches lock and unlock on their own..........service vehicle soon still there. My battery (optima red top.......I know I know...doesn't really fit) has been in use in my baby for two years now. The conection corrodes during winter causing multiple cleaning and sanding and filing of terminals. So being super aggravated went to autozone again. This time she actually cut off while driving 40 mph down a main street........without panicking, put her neutral and restarted........and back into drive! Yes my butt did pucker......but just a little! Replaced the red top with the recommended battery, and also new bolts. Still no help!

Now being pissed but still made it back, and also $400 bucks later after oil (synthetic) filters, plugs, and battery, grinded the ring terminals for the power and ground...........still no help! The car also acts as if it don't read the FOB but not sure if that's because the loss of intermittent power or my crappy FOB.

My next plan is to have the alternator checked, check resistance of power and ground from the battery to starter, alt and frame of vehicle. OOOHHHHHH........very important also, on the ground cable there is what seems to look like a current probe, a ring that the ground wire travel through with a three maybe four wire connection. Mines looks like crap and half melted. Anybody know what this is for sure and can this be the major source of headache? Have to find a replacement for that also! Not sure how this talks to ECU but can this have an effect on the charging system? Please help and stay tuned!!!! Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

Wrong forum. The lounge is for general chit chat, not repair info. A mod will move your thread to the STS forum. You'll get much more help there.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Re: 2005 STS MAJOR electrical problem!!!!!

Thread moved from Lounge to 05+ STS

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    In your constant trips to auto zone to throw parts at it. Did you bother to borrow their code reader and see why the service message was on!?

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    The current probe is important, especially for monitoring the charging system. Not sure if it could cause all your issues, but I would make sure it's right before you move on. I don't think that ring costs that much.

05uddin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 sts

Re: 2005 STS MAJOR electrical problem!!!!!

Thanks for the move.......first time noobie. Thanks also for the suggestions. Here's an update. After a good night of "I don't care" sleep, went out to start the car. No problems???? With having the intentions of playing under the hood, went to the local coin car was and degreased all the dust and dirt from the bay since i still had the plastic covers off.....after a good cleaning went to autozone. I order the current sensor and also had them scan the car. No codes present or stored. Being a little annoyed and relieved, turned off traction control and disabled stability........lit them tires up and she never skip a beat! Still no codes or issues. Had a busy day at work (afternoon shift) so no continuity tests where performed. Have a crazy feeling this phantom issue won't return until the next chilly day ( Wednesday in my area). I'm pretty sure my sensor is functional but still will replace upon arrival tomorrow. And for the other posters who started the same thread, if you know the remedy please please share!!!!!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.